PlayStation 5 Event -- June 12th (OT)

I am going to buy the disc version of the ps5 at launch. have I never download my games. Did it the first time in 2020 thanks to Covid19 and it sucks. Waiting 8 hours plus until I can play may game is way too inconvenient .

My consoles are also used as a Blu Ray and DVD player so there is even another reason to for the disc version.

I cannot go digital. I recently moved with my family back into my parent's home, as Mom has not done well after Dad's death and needed help badly.

Dad was frugal, thus he saved and invested early, so he owned a good bit of land. Our plan is to help her here while we save money and eventually put a home nearby on the property. In just a couple of weeks, I'll be saying goodbye to his office that took care of patients here for over 40 years. I'm still not ready for it, even 3 years after his passing.

It is out in the country and only low-grade DSL is offered, at least until I pay Spectrum a hefty fee to have a line run. I'll put it this way--I triggered Battlefront II to download on Thursday. It is still downloading.

There's a 95% chance I'll go digital only. I've had my PS4 since the year it launched and I've only purchased one physical game and that was Spiderman (as Shenmue but never inserted the disc and I also got it digitally). @red, the main reason for this is my brother and I (we don't live together) go 50/50 on pretty much every game.

His profile is registered to my console as the primary one. That means I can play any game he buys and I also get PSN Plus and PS Now. Only downside for him is that is has to be logged in in order to play games. Not a problem 99% of the time but if the Internet goes down for him he can't play anything. So if there is someone close to you and you ay similar games, this could help with any digital purchases you make.

Assuming this feature sticks around for PS5 (don't know how on earth Sony lets this slide), I'll be getting digital only.

On the whole digital vs physical thing.

I don't know. In the last few years, I admit I've been buying more and more digitally. Hell, in the past two months, I think I spent like $300 on digital games through those insane PSN sales. It depends on the price of both SKU's. If there is a drastic price difference in the digital model then I'll go digital only. If it's something like $50 difference then stiff shit, I'll pay the extra and buy the physical.

I still do like buying physical. I just recently bought that Persona 5 Royal Special Edition as was. I don't know, just depends on the price difference. But I could go either way. Part of me is over physical media as a whole, the other part of me CAN'T let go entirely as I still think all-digital is a scary future (not physically owning any of your media, I mean)

As for the console design? I kinda like it. It's grown on me the more I look at it. Same way the Series X grew on me the more I looked at it.

As for games? I was blown away by Ratchet and Clank Riffed Apart. Those seamless warps between worlds without load times intrigues me greatly. That and I love Ratchet and Clank in general. Crack in Time was one of the best games of last generation as far as I'm concerned.

Everbody has a different taste. My mind is rather backward in that regard but i do not trust online gaming. I do not want to spend 70 plus Euro for data. Data I do not own. Data that could lose anytime if the content owner wants it. The very slow download speed is another factor that I cannot stand with downloads.

I know I am fighting a uphill battle sooner or later physical media will be outdated in gaming. But as long as there are physical media I am going to support them.

Everbody has a different taste. My mind is rather backward in that regard but i do not trust online gaming. I do not want to spend 70 plus Euro for data. Data I do not own. Data that could lose anytime if the content owner wants it. The very slow download speed is another factor that I cannot stand with downloads.

I know I am fighting a uphill battle sooner or later physical media will be outdated in gaming. But as long as there are physical media I am going to support them.
To be fair to you, if you're someone who regularly goes back and plays old games, then yeah get physical media. All it takes is Sony to no longer support a previous generation of games/console and there is no way I can redownload and play my old favourites.

Every now and again I'll redownload GTA V to mess around on or some other games just to revisit for a little bit. But that's just on the PS4. I don't own any other console. All my older consoles have been sold or lost somewhere at my mums house.

I'm 100% physical; the only digital games I own are the new Carmageddons for PC (my first KickStarter!), Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing: Transformed (both for PC) and Yakuza 5 for the PS3 (because they never released a physical English).

That's it.

I hate digital with a passion. Netflix has brought a lot of content to people who would've never seen it, but they have been ruining the industry since their inception; there are 2 great films that I would LOVE to rewatch again, but being that they are Netflix films, I absolutely do not want to spend $20.00 a month, just because 2 films have no physical media.

It's complete bullshit; basically a paywall, when every single other distributor allows physical media or an alternate way to watch it.

Like iTunes (admittedly, the ONLY thing I do digital); you can't get any Japanese music in Canada and other regions as well, thus, purchasing everything via iTunes allows me to have this music and I can live with not having the physical media, if it means that I always have a means to listen to the music.

But to force me to subscribe to stream something? Bullshit.

Also why I am a gaming purist; I play the games on their original console, with their original controller. No compilations or the like.

I'm a dying breed, I know; at least my wife is 100% of the same school of thought, as I am! :D

I’ll buy digital sometimes just for the convenience, and usually games that are either exclusively digital or that I know I won’t have much disappointment in. That or in rare cases I’ll buy both versions of a game if it’s a smaller dev I want to support. But most games I’m counting on loving I’d rather have in physical format as it is.

I’ve got pretty much every physical version of Deadly Premonition there is, even a highly expensive copy of Red Seeds Profile(Japan PS3 version before the Director’s Cut happened). I just can’t get around to liking this idea when things like the Wii shop have gone down indefinitely and you can no longer redownload any purchased games if you delete them, an especially bad problem given how little space the system has.

I’ll buy digital sometimes just for the convenience, and usually games that are either exclusively digital or that I know I won’t have much disappointment in. That or in rare cases I’ll buy both versions of a game if it’s a smaller dev I want to support. But most games I’m counting on loving I’d rather have in physical format as it is.

I’ve got pretty much every physical version of Deadly Premonition there is, even a highly expensive copy of Red Seeds Profile(Japan PS3 version before the Director’s Cut happened). I just can’t get around to liking this idea when things like the Wii shop have gone down indefinitely and you can no longer redownload any purchased games if you delete them, an especially bad problem given how little space the system has.
So do yourself and @Truck_1_0_1_ keep your physical media indefinitely? The only reason I got Spiderman on disc was because my brother wasn't interested in buying it and I knew it would be a game I'll complete relatively quickly so bought it so I could sell it after finishing it.

So do yourself and @Truck_1_0_1_ keep your physical media indefinitely? The only reason I got Spiderman on disc was because my brother wasn't interested in buying it and I knew it would be a game I'll complete relatively quickly so bought it so I could sell it after finishing it.

Most of the games I have now, I plan on keeping for at least the foreseeable future. Back when GameStop was new and I was too young to have a job, I’d trade a bunch of games every so often, and I didn’t have the foresight to realize some games might become rare and more pricey, and thought I’d just buy games for cheap later on. Now, especially having been burnt so many times with discs scratched to hell under “used”, I try to only ever buy new copies.

I keep everything I purchase, unless there is something drastically wrong with it:

IE: I bought Tengai Makyou: The Apocalypse IV for the Saturn, because the guy on SGGG Domain said that there was a great translation guide/walkthrough on Gamefaqs. I stupidly buy it without looking at said guide, pop it in my Saturn and indeed, the game looks great, runs smoothly and looks to be an awesome time. Then the first battle begins; I look at the guide and... nothing. There are LOADS of kanji and the menus are deep with no visual aids. After two hours of countless failed attempts at trying to win *1* battle, it's been collecting dust for 9 years.

The guide is literally some rando's, "witty," (in quotes because it isn't witty in the slightest) take on the game's events. Well WTF is the point if it ISN'T a guide and it ISN'T translating what is going on? Complete and utter waste of time.

Anyways lol, THAT is the only time I will get rid of a game.

Otherwise, they are all proudly on display, waiting to be played! :D

I'm finally becoming digital. Still get the disc drive for games i only play once in awhile ill reinstall from disc. Now, though, in the next couple weeks, I'm going SATA SSD in my PS3/PS4 and later also for a Dreamcast MODE (after seeing the initial reviews and possibly waiting until a revision 2) with another SSD. The zero-seek time and even lower latency for not reading anything from disc for my most-played games like Shenmue, Yakuza, MGS, etc has become too strong a temptation.

With a mechanical platter HDD, digital never attracted me because who cares about optical bottle neck if the spinning drive also has a throttle? Now, though, my new job at a computer company specializing in SSD has made me finally care about upgrading from 5400RPM (which at 2.5 factor really doesn't bother me much, especially if 500GB or less; in my opinion 7200RPM 2.5 are rare because the smaller form factor negates much practical improvement for the faster rotations unless using over 1TB+ capacity).

Last edited:
I will buy the disc version of PS5, i buy digital games for the convenience but i like to buy the disc versions of the games to have in my collection, i prefer to buy the disc versions, i prefer this way. In my opinion the negative point of digital games is that it is easy to lose the games, if you lose the account you lose the games forever.:(

In my old Steam account i had 171 games, i lost my account because of Steam Guard, i will never use Steam Guard again, i tried a lot of things to recover my Steam account but nothing worked, i had to create another Steam account and now i have 32 games.

i will always prefer the disc versions of the games, i love collecting consoles and games, i never had the chance to play Shenmue on Dreamcast, one day i will buy a Dreamcast for my collection with Shenmue I and Shenmue II and this will be a special moment for me.:D

Last edited:
I'm finally becoming digital. Still get the disc drive for games i only play once in awhile ill reinstall from disc. Now, though, in the next couple weeks, I'm going SATA SSD in my PS3/PS4 and later also for a Dreamcast MODE (after seeing the initial reviews and possibly waiting until a revision 2) with another SSD. The zero-seek time and even lower latency for not reading anything from disc for my most-played games like Shenmue, Yakuza, MGS, etc has become too strong a temptation.

With a mechanical platter HDD, digital never attracted me because who cares about optical bottle neck if the spinning drive also has a throttle? Now, though, my new job at a computer company specializing in SSD has made me finally care about upgrading from 5400RPM (which at 2.5 factor really doesn't bother me much, especially if 500GB or less; in my opinion 7200RPM 2.5 are rare because the smaller form factor negates much practical improvement for the faster rotations unless using over 1TB+ capacity).

Kind of in the same boat.

My Dreamcast GD Rom died 3 years ago and I've been rocking a GDEMU ever since and honestly, I don't think I could ever go back to a GD Rom drive after seeing the differences in load times. Playing Shenmue II on the GD EMU is a dream with load times drastically reduced.

My Saturn drive is for the most part dead and I'm just waiting for a replacement solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've flirted with buying a RHEA on Ebay for $500 AUD...I might still pull that trigger yet. I'm still waiting for Satiator card to go on sale as that would be an ideal solution in the sense that I wouldn't have to rip out the Disc Drive. But yeah, i'm waiting to find a decent solution to replace my dead Saturn drive.

My PSone's disc drive is dead. I had to replace my modded PS2 last year because the disc drive died in it. My PS3 is still kicking, but even then, I've been flirting with modding it lately just to preserve the drive. My PSP and Vita are both soft modded so everything now just runs off memory cards for them. It's getting to that point where I am starting to wonder why bother with physical anymore?

Even with the PS4...you buy a physical disc and you're not playing it off the drive. It fully installs to the HDD. The only reason you have the disc is to verify the software installed on your HDD. Otherwise the disc is useless outside of being a carrier for the data. Hence why I started buying more and more digitally and started leaning that way. It was sometimes just easier to have it downloaded and installed day one.

It is just getting to that point where I find digital to be more convenient as a whole. BUT, I'm still weary of it. There is something to be said about the physical market. Prices are way cheaper. The second hand market (as eye gauging as it can be for retro) is still a god send when looking for games that are no longer digitally listed. I wanted to buy THPS5 the other day just to finally check it out but the game is completely delisted from the PSN store, the only way you can get it is through the second hand or retail market. That's the sort of shit I still fear with digital only and why I can't entirely let go of physical.

I tend to float between both. I still buy Blu Ray's yet I have a Netflix subscription. I still buy Vinyl. Music I can go either way on but I do love buying Vinyl. Something nice about throwing on a complete album and listening to it the entire way through without skip buttons or what not. And Games? Well I can go either way, I can be physical or digital.

I don't want digital to kill physical. I still kind of prefer living in a world with both options.

But for retro stuff, I'm trying to get most of my stuff over to HDD or SD cards just because those drives are starting to die.

Last edited:
I am mostly digital nowadays since I prefer to play in PC since the end of the xbox360 and ps3.

I was burned by the arcades on xbox not being carried over to new generations and I sincerely thought Microsoft was better on services and would have thought to make XBox arcades with some Middleware and loosing my Guardian Heroes remake hurted me...

It alsso did not help that I moved countries and my old hardware was bought as a kid with my brother so ownership discussion, some of the consoles working properly and such. (I still have them but they at my hometown but they do not fully work)

So, that is why, my dream would be some sort of GoGlike platform with all the legacy software of each generation in Pc since it is usually more resilient to software and hardware changes nowadays.

I will still buy next gen consoles if there is any decent exclusive like this generation with ps4 yakuzas and persona5 but I would prefer digital on PC.

I mean, PC games already are like 90, 95, 99% digital only.
Even if you buy a retail box, there is nothing on the disc, just the installer exe for Steam or whatever.
Sometimes maybe 1/4 of the full game, sometimes no disc at all, just the key.
Pretty much all of the indie games on PC are digital only.

So there isnt really the possibility to refuse digital games on PC.
On consoles (at least until now) you have a chance that there is a full game on the disc
and you just have to install the newest patch.
Also the digital stores like PSN are way more expensive than disc versions.
(not talking about special offers)
A lot of times big games in the PSN store are still at 40, 50, 60€ even one year after release
but you can buy the disc version for like 15-25€.

And if you want, you can buy big AAA games on disc for 70€, play through them once in a month
and then sell them for 45€. Thats not possible with digital games.

I think I mentioned this point before that the saddest part of digital gaming is preservation. Every other form of media is easily accessible and largely free. You can go to a fancy museum to see a Picasso or you can just Google it. Music is preserved through torrents, YouTube, digital stores and physical media. The listening of any song is largely free as well. Even movies, though behind a pay wall are preserved through torrents and paid for media. They even show films for free on terrestrial TV once they are old enough (though there are a few obscure TV shows that can be near impossible to find).

Gaming however is another story. Though you have the physical media and torrents, it can be difficult to play Shenmue, or just come across it, if you don't own a Dreamcast (prior to the HD release). Also, dealing with roms does require some expertise. My wish would be that every game essentially gets released into the public domain after a decade or two in a format all can have access to.

I think I mentioned this point before that the saddest part of digital gaming is preservation. Every other form of media is easily accessible and largely free. You can go to a fancy museum to see a Picasso or you can just Google it. Music is preserved through torrents, YouTube, digital stores and physical media. The listening of any song is largely free as well. Even movies, though behind a pay wall are preserved through torrents and paid for media. They even show films for free on terrestrial TV once they are old enough (though there are a few obscure TV shows that can be near impossible to find).

Gaming however is another story. Though you have the physical media and torrents, it can be difficult to play Shenmue, or just come across it, if you don't own a Dreamcast (prior to the HD release). Also, dealing with roms does require some expertise. My wish would be that every game essentially gets released into the public domain after a decade or two in a format all can have access to.
Or even worse if the device is hard to emulate like the saturn with tons of issues or unsupported games and medanaffen is one of the less user friendly experiencies I ever had in emulation.

My Dreamcast GD Rom died 3 years ago and I've been rocking a GDEMU ever since and honestly, I don't think I could ever go back to a GD Rom drive after seeing the differences in load times. Playing Shenmue II on the GD EMU is a dream with load times drastically reduced.

My Saturn drive is for the most part dead and I'm just waiting for a replacement solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've flirted with buying a RHEA on Ebay for $500 AUD...I might still pull that trigger yet. I'm still waiting for Satiator card to go on sale as that would be an ideal solution in the sense that I wouldn't have to rip out the Disc Drive. But yeah, i'm waiting to find a decent solution to replace my dead Saturn drive.

This ODE was recently announced and is supposed to work with both Dreamcast and Saturn (and is a solder-less install!). It looks like it's being shipped within a month, so unfortunately there's not really anywhere to read feedback on how well it's working or any issue it might have. However, I can say I have their MegaSD and it's great!

But yeah, to be honest I think I'd prefer Satiator myself since you can keep the console as-is. I would be surprised if it comes out this year, though.

Back