Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, my god, this...

Just because your life may be harder than other people's doesn't mean life isn't worth living. And even if it was, only the person living that life can decide that...

I've seen people with disabilities do amazing things, like this guy for example:

He could easily destroy me (and most others) in fighting games.

I just thought of something today. I wonder what Corey Marshall's views are on "whitewashing" in the media? He seems to side with the extreme left on any issue, but obviously that wouldn't make much sense considering his job right now...

Does anybody who talks to him via social media want to ask him? Don't call him out or attack him or anything, I'd never encourage such a thing even if he does it to others. But it would be an interesting question to hear his point of view on...

He’d probably explain to you what dubbing and localisation are.

He’d probably explain to you what dubbing and localisation are.
There are no local Japanese English speaking voice actors? In California? Who knew...

I see you replied with a snarky comment. Alternatively, you could’ve:

A) Looked up video game localisation yourself; and/or

B) Read up on interviews regarding the hiring process of voice actors for the Shenmue games.

Bonus round: Iwao was voiced by a black guy, Tom was voiced by a white guy.

I agree the guy is another regressive SJW, but let's not bring down Shenmue to the path of pitty politics.
It's stupid to see all by the same lens.
BTW, if you want to be snarky it helps to be right, you'll get it next chance.

I see you replied with a snarky comment. Alternatively, you could’ve:

A) Looked up video game localisation yourself; and/or

B) Read up on interviews regarding the hiring process of voice actors for the Shenmue games.

Bonus round: Iwao was voiced by a black guy, Tom was voiced by a white guy.
I'm really not sure how any of this relevant. I know what dubbing and localization are, they're fairly simple concepts. Many would argue that the fact that this Japanese main character hero being voiced by a white man is yet another example of problematic white washing in the media. I'm just curious(not putting blame on him or accusing him of anything) how Corey feels about this considering how he is politically aligned with people who usually make such arguments. I'm not taking sides one way or the other on the issue, I'm just curious how he feels about it, that's it...

I'm not 100% sure what the counter point is that you are making, if you are even making a counter point or not. But it sounds like you are saying just because white washing is common, it's not white washing when Corey does it? I'm not sure, but please explain what you are trying to say as I'm having trouble following...

I agree the guy is another regressive SJW, but let's not bring down Shenmue to the path of pitty politics.
It's stupid to see all by the same lens.
BTW, if you want to be snarky it helps to be right, you'll get it next chance.
I'm not even sure if this is directed at me or not, but if so please explain as well. Just a heads up, I'm not bringing Shenmue down at all. This is about a voice actor's political beliefs, not Ryo Hazuki...

Nah, you were right, both were snarky comments and my comment looked like it was pointing you out.
The last thing that Shenmue needs is MORE shitty political articles written from it, not "white washing characters" nor "Shenmue VA anti-trump", just let the game be the game.
It's a time where everything is politically charged, let's just leave Shenmue out of all the bullshit and enjoy it like it was the 90s.

Nah, you were right, both were snarky comments and my comment looked like it was pointing you out.
The last thing that Shenmue needs is MORE shitty political articles written from it, not "white washing characters" nor "Shenmue VA anti-trump", just let the game be the game.
It's a time where everything is politically charged, let's just leave Shenmue out of all the bullshit and enjoy it like it was the 90s.
Oh I agree, I wasn't trying to drag Shenmue through the mud along with Corey...

I don’t think you understand your own point. The Japanese language (original) version is voiced primarily by Japanese voice actors. The English dub (the version released so that people who speak English can understand it) is voiced by English speakers.

That’s not white-washing, it’s a more in-depth method than just using translated subtitles or stickin some cunt in the corner of the screen making gang signs.

White-washing would be a studio rebooting Shenmue as a TV series and making the primary characters white Americans, casting Jack Black as Jay-Z in a biopic, etc.

At the end of the day though, this topic is for putting your opinions forward, not being a snivelling twat rubbing his hands at the prospect of possibly posting a comment on Facebook in order to “catch someone out”.

It's a form of white washing, you are just thinking about movies, Ryo is Japanese, why isn't he voiced by a japanese-american that understands first hand the cultural landscape and japanese idiosyncrasies? (make a spiel about how hard is for asians to enter the western VA market, everybody crying).
It's the same bullshit you hear day in day out, specially since Corey is white.

I do think that it's a stupid concept, but that doesn't mean someone like Corey would not jump in at an instant, that's the point (and nocive to Shenmue IMO).

That’s not white-washing
I would certainly disagree, but that's cool... as I said:
Many would argue that the fact that this Japanese main character hero being voiced by a white man is yet another example of problematic white washing in the media.

I'm not saying that I hold this to be true to myself, but it certainly is something interesting to talk about...

At the end of the day though, this topic is for putting your opinions forward, not being a snivelling twat rubbing his hands at the prospect of possibly posting a comment on Facebook in order to “catch someone out”.
I already made that clear that wasn't my intention... relax homie...
Don't call him out or attack him or anything, I'd never encourage such a thing even if he does it to others. But it would be an interesting question to hear his point of view on...

Last edited:
No, it’s a dub, which is different from white-washing. Ryo is Japanese, and is voiced by a Japanese guy in it’s intended form. What we get is a dub.

Like I said, you’re just tryna “catch the guy out”. A guy who isn’t involved in this discussion in any way shape or form. If you’re that mad at him about the shit he posts on Facebook, go and yell at him with a caps lock comment. Otherwise get back on topic.

No, it’s a dub, which is different from white-washing. Ryo is Japanese, and is voiced by a Japanese guy in it’s intended form. What we get is a dub.

Like I said, you’re just tryna “catch the guy out”. A guy who isn’t involved in this discussion in any way shape or form. If you’re that mad at him about the shit he posts on Facebook, go and yell at him with a caps lock comment. Otherwise get back on topic.
You can't just attribute motive to me that doesn't exist in order to discredit my interest in the matter. I AM on topic... politics. I'm not sure if you're just on Corey defense force or what but we were having a fine conversation until you got us off topic...

Keep these discussions civil. As openly admitted by a number of you the whole thing has gone off the rails.

Warnings and bans (If needed) will be issued if that doesn't happen.

I AM on topic... politics.

The topic is about your opinions, not what someone else’s might be.

I'm not sure if you're just on Corey defense force or what

Not at all, I don’t have any overwhelmingly positive nor negative feelings towards the guy.

Perhaps you took my initial response as an attack in some way, but that wasn’t the intention. He simply comes across as the type who would engage in conversation to educate why things are different.

However, your entire point could be framed by the Kermit “but that’s none of my business” meme. You disagree that a dub and white-washing are completely different, so therefore you are actively looking to point out hypocrisy, as he - in your eyes - would either agree with you, and therefore be living and working in direct conflict with his moral values, or instead would see the difference between the two, which you don’t, and would ultimately pose the question “why is X alright, but Y isn’t?” (A.K.A. “Whataboutery”)

I mean, otherwise, what would you do with this information? There is purpose behind curiosity more than just “I wanna know stuff”, so if you have a different motive other than what I’ve just proposed, I’d like to know it (and in the interest of fairness, the reason I’d like to know that is to bring this discussion to it’s logical conclusion where either I realise that I was incorrect in my assumptions, or you admit that I’m correct)

@spud1897 Disclaimer: Any further use of the words “cunt”, “twat”, “fucker”, etc is not to insult, but to refer to another person, or even sometimes myself.

You were wrong about what can constitute whitewashing.
He wanted to point out the hypocrisy but understands that it would be detrimental to Shenmue.
There you go.

Interesting discussion.
While I don’t really subscribe to some the notions brought forth here, I must say that they are sadly very à propos. SJWs are focused on making everything about race, gender, and all things identity politics; with the way everything is getting micro-analyzed these days, I’m almost amazed that voice acting hasn’t become more of a general ‘issue’ yet. It probably will be sooner rather than later.

Shenmue is a pretty great example when you think about it. The series depicts a bunch of Asian, and a few black, characters… yet its only foreign localization is almost exclusively dubbed by white people from California (a bastion of various [Asian] communities). Some could argue that they’ve had little excuse not to ‘get it right’ by now. Then again, others might simply roll their eyes and start breakdancing their way to the nearest hot dog stand, their dreadlocks majestically flowing in the air.

Anyway, to answer @Kodama ’s question: Corey would probably do what any typical ultra-left-wing activist would tend to these days after getting his hand caught in the cookie jar, meaning: either a) gloss over the topic altogether; b) practice cognitive dissonance in order to avoid short-circuiting; or c) resign.

I’ll let you guess which one definitely won’t happen ;)
After all…you’re only as much of an SJW as your ego (and wallet) allow you to be.

Last edited:
Shenmue is a pretty great example when you thing about it. Shenmue is a pretty great example when you thing about it. Shenmue is a pretty great example when you thing about it.
They could cry cultural appropiation, but I know that SJW are just retarded and don't really know that japan invaded china for centuries, or that latino doesn't means mexicans.
I think I'll step off, I don't like talking about Shenmue through that lens.

They could cry cultural appropiation, but I know that SJW are just retarded
Mods have already asked to keep things civil. Regardless of your views on SJWs, this is not the way to go about vocalising it. At least not on this forum.

This will be the final warning before we lock the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back