[Potential Spoilers] Shenmue III Preview Event

Some new footage:
Does Ryo looks better than the backer demo or is it just me imagining things?

Seems like the mended his 'Thousand Yard Stare" a bit

tQUrQaa.png

Z88dRI8.png

Last edited:
What's interesting in that new footage for me, assuming its PS4 footage and not PC footage just using the DS4 prompts for the menu, is that you can tell that the flowers, foliage etc. are taken from the PC "high/ultra" settings. Which is good news, because I was worried they might par it back for the console to "medium" settings. Looking forward to seeing more.

I will try to translate it once I can check the video and read the text

Hobby Consolas Article:
- Both in the video and article they said that the game has reached Gold status (also implied that patches are a posibility)
- They played in the Koch Media office in Madrid for about 1 hour
- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine
- Similiar investigation feeling like in Shenmue I. Also higlight that you need Shenhua help to characters to open up to Ryo
- Also related to Shenmue I is the similar small enviroment and NPC rutines
- You can Press the Triangle button to open a option to move to a specific time and location if you don't want to wait to move the story on (In the video they implied that using that option will consume a lot stamina)
- Combat system is more fluid than in I & II, also more demanding because we have to increase the Kung Fu level (Description of how to do it)
- The Diary is more intuitive than in previous games. One Tab for the map, One for the Main Story, One for Secondary mssions, for example
- UI and UX more fluid, the UI buttons in the top right corner are very clear when you need to do an action
- They ask themselves the question of what about the tech aspect, the big controversy in months past:
* The project does not have the resources to be an AAA game, but it is a beautiful game, specially on the scenarios and they praise the artistic driection.
* Irregular quality in character models. Ryo Hazuki has improved a lot from the previous years pictures and now match what they expected to look like. Other charactrer are not that "believebale" as one could expect. The lighting and warm colours can generate controversy among some users that can say that the art approach is not realistic.
* They love the old people models. Facial expresion is also irregular. Robotic movements.
- Conclussion: A very elegant experienice, actual Shenmue Style, what can seem dated for some people and also drive nostalgia for others.

Hobby Consolas Video (different stuff only)
- The footage was captured by him in the Spanish Koch Media office.
- He talk about their E3 impression with another writer that was not that positive and he was worried about it. This game session make him be confident in Shenmue 3.
- Conclussion: he has recovered the hope in Shenmue 3. He said we have to keep in mind that it is not going to be graphically ground breaking like it was Shenmue I&II back in the day, and that it can not compete with games like Horizon or God of War, but if that is not a problem for us, it will be a game with a lot of personality, and he is willing to go back to China.

Last edited:
What's interesting in that new footage for me, assuming its PS4 footage and not PC footage just using the DS4 prompts for the menu, is that you can tell that the flowers, foliage etc. are taken from the PC "high/ultra" settings. Which is good news, because I was worried they might par it back for the console to "medium" settings. Looking forward to seeing more.

I think it was PS4 Pro on all of the event pictures, there was no computer.
And all of the most recent footage has Playstation buttons ingame,
at E3 and Gamescom you could always see Xbox controllers and Xbox buttons ingame because it was PC.
So it seems like it really is PS4 Pro footage now.

Combat looks further improved in the footage we've got. A little bit faster, and yet again better hit reactions from the looks of things.

Does Ryo looks better than the backer demo or is it just me imagining things?
They've made lighting improvements + colour balance changes that help make the skin look a bit more alive. Not major changes but welcomed tweaks. Can't really say about the capsule toy animation, but in the rest of the Hobby Consolas footage there's a lot of life in the characters.

I think it was PS4 Pro on all of the event pictures, there was no computer.
And all of the most recent footage has Playstation buttons ingame,
at E3 and Gamescom you could always see Xbox controllers and Xbox buttons ingame because it was PC.
So it seems like it really is PS4 Pro footage now.
That's what I was assuming. Which is good, because I'll be playing on the PS4 and want the game looking as good as possible! Getting very excited now as its just over 1 month until release!

Yeah that looks like PS4 footage...looks like 30FPS as well (then again, could just be the video encoding...but I still assume it would be 30FPS on PS4)

Yeah, Ryo's stare did look a little better to me...it looked a little improved. Lighting also looked a little more colorful. Also, is it just me or does Ryo have a little more of a solid jaw line now? It looked a little more pronounced to me.

It looks pretty much how I expected...some further refinements here and there where needed. Animations are what they are (take it or leave it I guess...for me? I can take stiff animations...it doesn't bother me too badly.) I couldn't really see too much of a difference in the fighting personally...but I thought it was solid in the demo...I'm sure it probably has been refined and maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

Was kind of cool to get a glimpse of the affinity system. You can see in dialog how weary people are of Ryo...but it does make me wonder how involved that will be. Will it be just natural story progression stuff or will having Shenhua with you at all times truly make a difference? Still cool to see the village folk weary of him.

But yeah, that's definitely PS4 footage...still looks rather nice though...but I got to be honest, I really think my first playthrough might be on PC...I've been spoiled by that 60FPS (it just looked so damn good running at a higher frame rate and if the PS4 doesn't do 60 then I really don't know anymore, I think it will be PC)

Last edited:
Shit, man...this footage is more than I expected/wanted from the initial Kickstarter. This just looks like a modern game (to me). The vibe will be so different compared to the demo, too, considering the epic story (larger than I and II) attached to the final version. I'm still deciding whether to wait for Black Friday or just purchase the PS4 PRO Death Stranding deal...any thoughts? I haven't played a game in like 6 years, so I feel guilty diving back into gaming with my career and other odds and ends at the forefront, haha.

Yeah that looks like PS4 footage...looks like 30FPS as well (then again, could just be the video encoding...but I still assume it would be 30FPS on PS4)
The combat video in the article that is using their website's video player is running at 60 FPS... I'm guessing the Youtube video wasn't captured at 60.

Probably 60 FPS for Pro and 30 for OG PS4

Combat looks further improved in the footage we've got. A little bit faster, and yet again better hit reactions from the looks of things.

They've made lighting improvements + colour balance changes that help make the skin look a bit more alive. Not major changes but welcomed tweaks. Can't really say about the capsule toy animation, but in the rest of the Hobby Consolas footage there's a lot of life in the characters.

The only change here seems to be about the meteo. For the rest, the footage is washed out because of capture. On the other hand, animations seems to have been ironed out. Especially fighting.

I will try to translate it once I can check the video and read the text

Hobby Consolas Article:
- Both in the video and article they said that the game has reached Gold status (also implied that patches are a posibility)
- They played in the Koch Media office in Madrid for about 1 hour
- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine
- Similiar investigation feeling like in Shenmue I. Also higlight that you need Shenhua help to characters to open up to Ryo
- Also related to Shenmue I is the similar small enviroment and NPC rutines
- You can Press the Triangle button to open a option to move to a specific time and location if you don't want to wait to move the story on (In the video they implied that using that option will consume a lot stamina)
- Combat system is more fluid than in I & II, also more demanding because we have to increase the Kung Fu level (Description of how to do it)
- The Diary is more intuitive than in previous games. One Tab for the map, One for the Main Story, One for Secondary mssions, for example
- UI and UX more fluid, the UI buttons in the top right corner are very clear when you need to do an action
- They ask themselves the question of what about the tech aspect, the big controversy in months past:
* The project does not have the resources to be an AAA game, but it is a beautiful game, specially on the scenarios and they praise the artistic driection.
* Irregular quality in character models. Ryo Hazuki has improved a lot from the previous years pictures and now match what they expected to look like. Other charactrer are not that "believebale" as one could expect. The lighting and warm colours can generate controversy among some users that can say that the art approach is not realistic.
* They love the old people models. Facial expresion is also irregular. Robotic movements.
- Conclussion: A very elegant experienice, actual Shenmue Style, what can seem dated for some people and also drive nostalgia for others.

Thanks for this. I love the phrase 'a very elegant experience' who, apart from us who always believed Suzuki would deliver, could have foresaw that sort of praise from the gaming media?

YsNet have performed miracles with the presentation of this game over the last few months.

Great work.

Shit, man...this footage is more than I expected/wanted from the initial Kickstarter. This just looks like a modern game (to me). The vibe will be so different compared to the demo, too, considering the epic story (larger than I and II) attached to the final version. I'm still deciding whether to wait for Black Friday or just purchase the PS4 PRO Death Stranding deal...any thoughts? I haven't played a game in like 6 years, so I feel guilty diving back into gaming with my career and other odds and ends at the forefront, haha.

Buy the Death Stranding PS4 bundle...those LE consoles keep their value so you will lose very little if you decide to part with it

The combat video in the article that is using their website's video player is running at 60 FPS... I'm guessing the Youtube video wasn't captured at 60.

Probably 60 FPS for Pro and 30 for OG PS4

Depends, could be 60 captured at 30. Who knows for sure? Until someone mentions it for sure, I guess.

I'm hoping for a 60FPS option on PS4 Pro but something tells me it will be 30 on both base and pro.

It did look like it was running the equivalent of high or very high settings though. There was an abundance of foliage.

Last edited:
Looks absolutely up to the level I expect. I’m playing the new Yooka Laylee. Now that looks last gen. But guess what? It’s fun!

That game is pretty damn good...feels a lot like Donkey Kong Country :) They did pretty well with it.

As for Shenmue III, I'm okay with how it looks...I always had my expectations in check and from what I see, they delivered beyond my expectations in terms of scope alone. So I'm okay if it doesn't look "AAA"...I just want Shenmue III to exist.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure the PS4 Pro couldnt handle 60 fps at 1080p high settings.
some PCs already struggled with 60 fps around the restaurant in the backer demo
and its still way better hardware than the hardware in a PS4.
imagine the later settings like Niaowu with more NPCs, shops, streets, chase scenes, fighting in the rain ...
it wouldnt surprise me at all if there are drops below 30 fps on console.

even Sony exclusive games like Horizon Zero Dawn have these problems.
maybe if they would turn down shadows, foliage, view distance, resolution and so on
but you can see in that hobbyconsolas video that it is using at least high settings.
and that probably means that the city areas already need 100% of the hardware just for 30 fps.

no Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2 or GTA 5 can achieve 60 fps on PS4 Pro.
games like Nioh or Nier Automata have a 60 fps target but its unstable.
the Yakuza re releases on PS4 can handle 60 fps but only because they are PS3 games on PS4 hardware.

Back