[Potential Spoilers] Shenmue III Preview Event

About bloody time we get to see this mysterious Fortified Castle area!

I'm curious as to why Yu switched the Tulou design for a castle, as I recall he was quite keen on including that design at one point and even referencing Virtua Fighter RPG era concept art of it.

Personally, I think a castle looks much cooler.

I think It's obvious, basically everything that was there, is still there(which yu noted the shops, and such will still be there), but Yu Suzuki wanted to condense the map, while possibly increasing the size of the castle.

Basically instead of a city with a Castle, we're getting a castle town, where the town is probally within the castle its self(or wrapped around just the inner wall.

This could've been done to cut down the size the games eats up or more then likely was done to make the ending scenario even more epic then it was going to be.

Chobu
Bailu
Shrine area
Boat
Bridge that leads to Chobu?
Fortified Castle
Cave from Shenmue 2
Elephant Trunk

Shenmue 3 isnt a small game.
its a matter of how big or small these areas are and how freely we can explore some of them, but it for sure doesn't seem like a lower scale game due to the budget and thats great.

Ahhh the wait is killing me.

If i dont hear anything new by Monday, then Yu Suzuki is gonna...

221xts.gif

its a matter of how big or small these areas are and how freely we can explore some of them, but it for sure doesn't seem like a lower scale game due to the budget and thats great.
Bailu is huge. Thats all I can say.
Chobu is supposed to be bigger.

Chobu
Bailu
Shrine area
Boat
Bridge that leads to Chobu?
Fortified Castle
Cave from Shenmue 2
Elephant Trunk

Shenmue 3 isnt a small game.

those in RED are all Chobu though (the Elephant Trunk is just a scenery) and sadly if that image is what we think it is.. then the fortified castle is basically using a similar architecture we've already seen in Chobu city and it seemed small as well.
which is really a sad outcome.. i was hoping that they would put to use some of the research they did with Bisha's architecture for this castle :(
i still hope that this is just a gate to the actual castle.

Last edited:
This could've been done to cut down the size the games eats up or more then likely was done to make the ending scenario even more epic then it was going to be.
I think it's worked out for the better.

A Chinese castle tower as the final area sounds so much cooler to me.

I think it's worked out for the better.

A Chinese castle tower as the final area sounds so much cooler to me.
Compelled to agree with this.

I think overall it might provide more focus to the climax with it being almost an equivalent to the Yellow Head Building, and ultimately it meant Bailu and Niaowu could thrive with more resources allocated to them. Can't really complain about that, as I'm sure we'd rather have more fleshed out environments than spreading things out too thinly just to include Baisha.

I get people want to see tulous in Shenmue, but I'm sure we'll get there eventually. Instead, the fortified castle area is supposedly inspired by the Ming Dynasty garden in Shanghai:

7d37daac8013f5b1cd7c957c414645af.jpg

We're trading one cultural landmark for another in that respect.

:love::love::love: Well, I just fell in love...granted she could squash us like a bug ;)

Is the Fortified Castle Area the same as the Great Wall of China? I seem to remember there were shots (and early trailers) of Mr Muscles and Ryo fighting on top of the Great Wall of China...I have to wonder if that made the final cut or if the Fortified Castle Area is the replacement? In the trial, the note book has the Great Wall of China as the last segment, so I wonder if that's all still in and apart of the Fortified Castle Area.

Also, this screen shot (and some of Chobu) reminds me of Lei Fei's stage from VF5. Although, you could easily say there are a couple of VF stages that scream Shenmue locations. (I know, I know, China and all)

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back