Project Update #119: MAGIC KYOTO 2019: Participation Info

Speaking about tailers, my pov is that they simply don't have much budget for that. That's why we kept seeing similar sequences for years.

But personally that's not something I'm disappointed with. We know since the beginning they can't compete with AAA games having a major exposure.

Speaking about tailers, my pov is that they simply don't have much budget for that. That's why we kept seeing similar sequences for years.

But personally that's not something I'm disappointed with. We know since the beginning they can't compete with AAA games having a major exposure.

Trailers are a matter of budget if you're doing CGI.
Otherwise it's at most a 10 hours job for one person to cut footage and put it altogether.

Probably they don't want to spoil too much of the game. And those first areas have more than enough content to get to know the game.
They need to show more of Chobu. I think people forget that theres a segment of the Shenmue fanbase that really disliked the Guilin section of Shenmue 2 and that showing mostly Bailu gives off a bad impression and it can seem like thats really all there is for those who dont soak up every piece of Shenmue 3 media.

Take for example Huber from Easy Allies, huge Shenmue fan but he thinks what weve seen of Chobu and Bailu is all there is so far, and doesnt realize theres the other middle areas as well. The boat and Castle Fortress and the Shrine maiden areas may technically reside in Chobu but I am willing to bet they count as their own separate locations.

Theres much more to the game than Bailu, its time the marketing better represented that. Its like if DQXI marketing had only really ever shown Cobblestone.

Trailers are a matter of budget if you're doing CGI.
Otherwise it's at most a 10 hours job for one person to cut footage and put it altogether.

I agree. And all we've seen until now are cut footages.

The game is out in and two weeks and everyone is complaining about this event? Come on now.

Lack of a killer trailer is proper criticism imo but that's been the case for months now.

I think people are more disappointed about Cedric teasing something epic (which was not) than not seeing a new trailer. But maybe they have something like Crzay time for later... I don't know.

BTW, for anyone who may have wanted a translation for that exchange at the end between the girl and Ryo.

Ryo – ちょっといいかな?
May I have a moment of your time?

Girl — なあに?
Sure // Whaatt?

Ryo — 上手だな
That’s pretty good! (Pointing at her drawings) // You’re pretty good!

Girl — うん!Shenhua上手だねって、褒めてくれる
Yeah! Shenhua said the same, she praised me

Ryo — Shenhua知ってるか?
You know Shenhua?

Girl — Shenhuaは友達なんだ!お兄ちゃん?
Yeah, Shenhua’s my friend! And you, nii chan?

Ryo — あ、そうだな
Yeah, I see.

Ryo — ちょっと聞きたいんだけど、エンさんを知ってるか?
Can I ask you a question. Do you know someone named En-san?

Girl — しーらない
I doon’t know!

Ryo — 石彫り師のエンさんだけど
En’s a stone carver...

Girl — 父さんも石彫り師だよ
My dad is a stone carver too.

Ryo — お父さんも石彫り師なのか?
Your father is also a stone carver?

Girl — そう
That’s right!

Ryo — 会えるかな?
Can I meet him?

Girl — うん!いつも夜の7時には家帰ってくるよ
Sure! He always gets home at 7pm.

Ryo — ありがとう
Thanks

Girl — いいよ
No problem!

People making trailers likely have access to the full game and its development tools. Meaning they have access to the debug menu and can instantly skip to any scene and any enviroment in the game. It doesnt really take much budget to record a few good clips when the tools are already in place. Think about how many awesome Shenmue 1&2 videos there have been over the yeara made for free, by people who didnt have access to such advanced tools. I dont think its too much to expect for Deep Silver to be as dedicated to the game they are publishing as the fans who are eager to play it.

I cant really talk about it but theres a person on this forum who made at least 2 very cool videos made with the asforementioned debug tools that would work just as well as any official marketing material and he only has access to whats in the demo files, and thats without any budget.

To be fair to Cedric he might have his hands tied by Deep Silver. If they gave plans to release a launch trailer on day X they aren't going to let him show it. Magic has nothing to do with them.
Over in Monaco this year they were going back and forth (from what I understand) and basically had to argue the toss to get any of the fighting shown that we saw.

It could easily have been the same here and this time not successful. Also Magic Kyoto isn't as big as Monaco so it could be DS didnt want a trailer going live there. We just don't know.

That said Cedric does over hype way too much, but with the best of intentions I'm sure.

Anyway fuck it. Less than 2 weeks to go!

Honestly at this point I am perfectly satisfied with what we have got and anything else at this point is just extra. I have seen a dream I never thought possible become a reality. I have seen this dream slowly but surely take shape. And to know that in less than two weeks I will be getting an experience I have been pining over for eighteen years has made me oddly content. There’s very little I could ask for at this point outside of a potential Shenmue IV or V.

On the one hand, I am happy there is still so much we have yet to see as it will make exploration in the final game all that much more of a joy...but still, can't help but wonder why not show off more from the final build for the sake of final marketing push.

I think this is Suzuki's wish... And yeah, if I'm honest, had I known Guilin would be playable in 2 I wouldn't have been as blown away as I was (final disc of Shenmue II cemented the game as my favorite game of all time).

Over in Monaco this year they were going back and forth (from what I understand) and basically had to argue the toss to get any of the fighting shown that we saw.

It could easily have been the same here and this time not successful. Also Magic Kyoto isn't as big as Monaco so it could be DS didnt want a trailer going live there. We just don't know.

That said Cedric does over hype way too much, but with the best of intentions I'm sure.

Anyway fuck it. Less than 2 weeks to go!
I could honestly see that being the case. Maybe he had access to the launch trailer and wanted to show it here, and DS told him to fuck off last minute. Or maybe he's just being a biscuit like usual.

I could honestly see that being the case. Maybe he had access to the launch trailer and wanted to show it here, and DS told him to fuck off last minute. Or maybe he's just being a biscuit like usual.
Given the situation in Monaco I would suspect Deep Silver pulled rank on it, of course I don't know for sure but there's a history of that & the Magic Monaco trailer was made specifically for that event from what I remember.

Either way its done now and one thing I'm taking from it is the music in that clip.... that's a Shenmue track alright!

I bet Cedric could probably overhype a can of tuna.

"One bite of legendary, epic tuna can solve all your problems! Conflicts at work? Sub-par grades? Feline indigestion? Just pop open a can and all your problems will disappear!"

Back