Project Update #119: MAGIC KYOTO 2019: Participation Info

It’d be fun to see the arcade or a boss fight by now, you know? Maybe a tiny bit of Ryo hanging out in another town?

Yeah, I’d honestly be worried if we weren’t so close to release, but, outside of the trial, this has to be the least shown of a game so close to release that I can recall in recent years.

On the one hand, it's kind of nice. I like the fact that there is so much we don't know about it yet. Judging by the notebook in trial, the game is quite big, so I'm not worried about lack of content or anything like that.

On the one hand, my hype is through the roof for what's in store that we have yet to see. This is the most excited I've been to let a narrative unfold because there is so much we don't know about where it's going story wise.

But on the other, I can't help but worry that they are maybe talking a bigger game than they truly can deliver. Or maybe they are hiding something...(I don't think that's the case but the sceptic in me can't help but think it...I truly do believe Yu will deliver what he has been saying about it. But deep at heart, I am a sceptic and that sceptic doesn't die easy.)

But then again, I don't really remember the trailers for Shenmue 1 and 2 showing off all that much either plot wise outside of a basic gist...they too were pretty minimal back in the day.

Still, we've seen some new stuff in the Yu Suzuki interview videos they've been releasing for the past few weeks, so I'm not too worried as a whole.

Just keen to see more of it. Oh well, 12 days left.

Last edited:
On the one hand, it's kind of nice. I like the fact that there is so much we don't know about it yet. Judging by the notebook in trial, the game is quite big, so I'm not worried about lack of content or anything like that.

On the one hand, my hype is through the roof for what's in store that we have yet to see.

But on the other, I can't help but worry that are they talking a bigger game than they truly can deliver maybe?

I don't think that's gonna be the case...but it would be cool to see something new.

But then again, I don't really remember the trailers for Shenmue 1 and 2 showing off all that much either plot wise outside of a basic gist...they too were pretty minimal.

Still, we've seen some new stuff in the Yu Suzuki interview videos they've been releasing for the past few weeks, so I'm not too worried as a whole.

Just keen to see more of it. Oh well, 12 days left.

Not to be pedantic, but the Shenmue 1 trailers showed off parts of every single area, whilst the Shenmue 2 trailer certainly showed off most of Hong Kong and even had Guilin in the last few moments of the trailer. The Shenmue 1 trailer did show a lot of story beats from beginning to end, athough obviously didn't have the full context.

I think it’s more that the game is less than 2 weeks away and somehow they’ve never managed to show anything beyond a little slice of town. Pretty weird, but hey, I guess we are all being given a chance to enjoy a lot of surprises...

It’d be fun to see the arcade or a boss fight by now, you know? Maybe a tiny bit of Ryo hanging out in another town?
Pretty much this. After speaking with Koch Media at EGX London a few weeks back, they said they they want to respect the fans by not showing too much of the game off. With the backer demo and everything we have seen so far, I'm extremely happy with what we have now, and don't really want to see any more of the game, as it will spoil the experience for me. I don't want to see the arcade, and I really really don't want to see any boss fights lol.

Some of the images we have been seeing are right on the edge of that line (for me). We have waited so long now, that I'd much rather wait 2 weeks to see the rest of the game myself, instead of getting a deep dive into the next area on youtube for example.

I do however understand that people would love to have seen a little bit more of an "updated" version of the backer demo at this point. We do know that the PS4 version trial does exist (from EGX), as does the preview build that press got their hands on, but I feel like these versions were very locked down (they took the PS4 Pro that the PS4 version was on straight off the stage, and we were told from Koch that they deleted the demo instantly after the presentation. Paddy asked if he could have a quick go on it after the event, and that was their reply :p), so if we do get something like that, I'd feel like it would come from Sony or Deep Silver themselves.

We also know from Magic Monaco last Feb, that Cedric had to have a bit of a battle to get authorisation to show something new and I'd guess that this is only amplified when the game is literally less than 2 weeks away.

The wait is getting increasingly more painful each day, and we are all itching to see new footage/screens/impressions etc, but we managed to wait 18 years, I'm sure we can all wait 12 more :D The less we know the better about the areas, characters and the story the better!

Not to be pedantic, but the Shenmue 1 trailers showed off parts of every single area, whilst the Shenmue 2 trailer certainly showed off most of Hong Kong and even had Guilin in the last few moments of the trailer. The Shenmue 1 trailer did show a lot of story beats from beginning to end, athough obviously didn't have the full context.

I think that's moreso what I meant in saying that...maybe poor choice of words on my behalf.

I mean, they have shown us Bailu and Chobu so it's not like we haven't seen these areas I guess. I mean, we have seen some stuff from it. But what we haven't seen is one decent story trailer that really drives it home and I think that's moreso what I'm waiting for than anything else at this point.

As I said, on the one hand, I'm happy there is so much we haven't seen from the narrative just because I want to experience it for myself.

But on the other, it would be nice for marketing purposes to get one last decent story trailer cut that at least drives home the story in the final run to release. But I guess that's on Deep Silver at this point?

I think that's moreso what I meant in saying that...maybe poor choice of words on my behalf.

I mean, they have shown us Bailu and Chobu so it's not like we haven't seen these areas I guess. I mean, we have seen some stuff from it. But what we haven't seen is one decent story trailer that really drives it home and I think that's moreso what I'm waiting for than anything else at this point.

As I said, on the one hand, I'm happy there is so much we haven't seen from the narrative just because I want to experience it for myself.

But on the other, it would be nice for marketing purposes to get one last decent story trailer cut that at least drives home the story in the final run to release. But I guess that's on Deep Silver at this point?

Right. To be fair, the Shenmue 1 trailer was really spoilery, but it was a damn good story trailer. It showed Ryo's dad being murdered, Ryo learning new moves, talking to different characters, playing arcade games, major QTE events, Ryo going to the harbour, Ryo breaking into Warehouse no 8, meeting Master Chen, Chai stealing a second mirror, Terry and the Mad Angels, Nozomi being kidnapped.

I personally couldn't care less about spoilers, they need to make a decent launch/story trailer.

Right. To be fair, the Shenmue 1 trailer was really spoilery, but it was a damn good story trailer. It showed Ryo's dad being murdered, Ryo learning new moves, talking to different characters, playing arcade games, major QTE events, Ryo going to the harbour, Ryo breaking into Warehouse no 8, meeting Master Chen, Chai stealing a second mirror, Terry and the Mad Angels, Nozomi being kidnapped.

I personally couldn't care less about spoilers, they need to make a decent launch/story trailer.

Yeah, I see your point...the 6 minute trailer was quite spoilery.

I don't really remember watching the 6 minute trailer back in the day. The most I remember watching back in the day were some of the shorter trailers (ahh, the era of 56k when downloading a video took forever)

So I do stand corrected on that one.

But I do agree with you....I want one final trailer for SIII to drive home the story....still time for DS to drop one in the next two weeks though....I believe they will. It's pretty common place these days to have a launch trailer. So I have to believe they'll drop one in the next two weeks.

Good ol' Ceddy overhyping as usual, oh well we have the game in like 12 days

I though this could have been an opportunity to start off with a new trailer, nothing long ( like the 30 sec ads ) that in tun could be used in a final marketing push along with the others. It was the last event with one of the producers, shibuya, running the show. It would have been nice to show some well directed section of the 2nd area, 10 to 15 minutes ( spoiler galore to us, maybe, but at this time this really shouldn't be for us at this point. Who's buying the game who already is a fan? Everyone ) that could be used by the media in general ( twitter, here, youtube etc ) to grab the attention of some extra new customers, more fast paced this time, showing Ren and Ryo in a difficult position or something.

I love the slow bailu pace but, everyone and I don't just mean fans have seen it since E3 2019.

Also I'm aware the budget is super tight for marketing, but still, go out with a bang.

I'm not sure what people expect from Cédric. He's a fan like us but he has a business to run. If he's managed to get some Shenmue involvement at MAGIC it's for the purpose of attracting interest in the event and by extension his company. If you're watching Monday Night Raw the week before a pay-per-view, they don't close out the show by saying "Tune in this Sunday, there'll be wrestling! It'll be pretty good! Better than watching paint dry!" His job is to tell you everything about the occasion will be fantastic and unmissable. And I'm sure he did the best he could to make it so. But for most here, if it didn't live up to your expectations, you only lost 45 minutes watching a free stream on YouTube. Nothing to wallow over, IMO.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I kind of feel the same. This one area is the only area they're willing to show. I want to see something new like fishing or something.

There's so much we still haven't seen (QTE Events, Fishing, Other Mini games etc)

But then I think "we're 12 days away....we're so damn close to finding out for ourselves....does it really matter anymore?"

Still, I too was kinda hoping for something new from the full game.
It may be to much to ask ( budget ) but I would love the fishing mini game to be like Sega bass fishing. Many games just don't get fishing right or make it fun ( looking at you FF15 ).

I'm not sure what people expect from Cédric. He's a fan like us but he has a business to run. If he's managed to get some Shenmue involvement at MAGIC it's for the purpose of attracting interest in the event and by extension his company. If you're watching Monday Night Raw the week before a pay-per-view, they don't close out the show by saying "Tune in this Sunday, there'll be wrestling! It'll be pretty good! Better than watching paint dry!" His job is to tell you everything about the occasion will be fantastic and unmissable. And I'm sure he did the best he could to make it so. But for most here, if it didn't live up to your expectations, you only lost 45 minutes watching a free stream on YouTube. Nothing to wallow over, IMO.

No, they don't. But the more WWE embellishes, exaggerates, oversells and over hypes, the more audiences tune out... A lot of life long WWE/wrestling fans like me have cancelled their Network subscription at some point and have stopped watching WWE.

Back