Project Update #96: English Voice Recording Report!

I was lookint at the laptop photo like an idiot thinking "what are people seeing, is just blown out white", then saw the newer Ryo pic.
Now we are cooking with gas.

For the sake of comparison...

ryo2017v2018wqjsx.jpg

Far and away the closest Ryo model yet to that 1999 CG render from the boxart. We've really come a long way. From E3 2015's "fake Ryo", to 2017's pre-alpha model, to 2018's alpha/possibly near final version.

I suppose the eyes of the 2018's are provisional/placeholder. It doesn't look right as well as the expression, It's as if the eyes wouldn't fit in the face.
Nothing to do with the image that Cedric posted of Ryo and Shenhua last year, more advanced in my opinion.
450_1000.jpg

However, this model of Shenhua looks final or near final:
briannaknickerbocker_d1j25.jpg

You can see what I mean about the eyes. Looks amazing!

Never forget:
b4719bebe9.png
I was being gracious to this model by using the most flattering shot of it for the side-by-sides, but damn. It was definitely early days when this was what Ys Net were working with.

The Gamescom '17 models... y'know, obviously not perfect and we were told they weren't final repeatedly, but they were definitely a needed stepping stone to get where we are now. There's more of their DNA in what we have now, than the E3 2015 lot.

Interesting that they've mandated the original game's name order for Chinese names (mentioned explicitly in the video, but shown also by the banners). Makes me wonder who was responsible for the change in Shenmue II's localisation.

Considering it was embedded in the first post I'd imagine so.
I was skim reading and missed it. I thought to check again after posting, saw it, and then edited my original post.

The final? models are looking great.
Infinitely better than anything we've seen so far in S.3

....*shudders*

shenmue-3-deep-silver.jpg
Tekken 2 FMV Ryo and Miss Derp are a thing of the past, thank fuck.

As much as I like the newest models, I would have been completely fine with the Gamescom 2017 models if it was a choice between Shenmue 3 or no Shenmue 3.

If anyone is interested, I've cut both Ryo & Shenhua high res models and saved them as .png files.

Note: I've pushed contrast & vibrance, reduced brightness. And I've adjusted Ryo's left eye angle... because there's something bothering me with the original model :p

Corey_Ryo2019.png
Brianna_Shenhua_2019.png

If anyone is interested, I've cut both Ryo & Shenhua high res models and saved them as .png files.

Note: I've pushed contrast & vibrance, reduced brightness. And I've adjusted Ryo's left eye angle... because there's something bothering me with the original model :p

View attachment 1874
View attachment 1875
Lovely work. Ryo is looking good

Welp, we're in crunch time now.

I'm very excited to see what comes out in a month. The snippets seen here suggest animations, facial capture and overall refinements to the models will leave little to disappoint.

We haven't seen the game in an up-to-date, recent build thus far. The last time we saw the game by March will have been 7 months ago, not including my own wager that trailer at Gamescom '18 wasn't recent footage either.

Corey's interview comments about the scale of the game seem to confirm our extrapolations here that Deep Silver's partnership did indeed inject a very healthy amount of money into the project to ensure the vision is met.

We're almost there with Ryo. The skin needs to be a bit darker, the jawline a bit slimmer and the shape of his eybrows is the tiniest bit off. But the current model is some pretty fine work, nevertheless.

Shenhua is looking gorgeous but why has her dress changed (the sleeves)? It doesn't make any sense at all.

We're almost there with Ryo. The skin needs to be a bit darker, the jawline a bit slimmer and the shape of his eybrows is the tiniest bit off. But the current model is some pretty fine work, nevertheless.

Shenhua is looking gorgeous but why has her dress changed (the sleeves)? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah, I agree. Ryo looks very good in these images. Shenhua's model looks great too, but yeah she looks very different. It is a bit strange.

Back