Random Gaming Thoughts

Glad you loved it as much as I did! Minerva is indeed best girl, you'll probably enjoy the beach DLC :LOL:

The ending song legit brought tears to my eyes.

1 is on PS3 and PS4, 4 is on PS4, so you should be okay for those two. 2 and 3 however, are only on PSP. It's well worth getting a cheap PSP to play them, or even emulating.

YEEEEEEEEES! I have a PSP!!!!! I got one for the Kurohyos and that's all I ever played on it. YES!!!! :D lol

Ok, Burning Rangers, maybe another game or two from my backlog and then onto VC (with Judge Eyes/Judgement 2 sprinkled in somewhere). It may be a year or so until I get to it, but you can bet I will :D:D:D:D:D:D

Just out of curiosity KiddMarine, how would you rank the installments of the series relative to each other? I know a lot of people REALLY like 3 (though that's pretty much all I know about 3).

What's this? 👀 And as KiddMarine already said, VC1 and 4 can be played on PS4, 2 and 3 can be played on PSP or Vita. Of course, as much as I love my Vita, the tradeoff of playing the games there is you can't use the physical versions of the games (no UMD drive, obviously). I don't know if they ever made a physical version of VC1 on PS4 like they did originally on PS3, but I know the PS4 version was really nice at 60fps 1080p.

I have a feeling you're probably going to opt for a PSP for the physical copies, but IF you decide you wanna play them on Vita, just know Vitas themselves are a lot cheaper on Yahoo Auctions than any western sites. If you wanted to play 2 & 3 on the big screen, I'm not sure if these games work on Vita TV or not. I used a (probably terrible) machine translation on the link below

and it said "PS Vita TV interchange". No idea if that means it's compatible to play on the Vita TV or not. PSPs (I think just PSP 2000 and 3000s?) have a TV out for that, but not sure if there are any limitations for things like game compatibility (not sure why there would be), monitor/TV compatibility, etc.

There's also 60fps patches for both 2 and 3 if you wanted to emulate, but I know that's not your thing.
Indeed, I thank you, DS! :D Pumped now ;) :D

As for my periodic table, let's see if I can find it anywhere... (at work, like always) Keep in mind that I did this in 2013, so it could look different today (for example, instead of Itamor from Ristar, I'd put Ichiban from Yakuza 7).

Ah, found it! It's on here (in the, "Post Your Gaming Setup," thread), but a bit rough as the picture's a touch dark:

1621516307009.png

As it is tough to find names of characters that fit up, I went for Japanese naming conventions (last name first, first name last, if it made sense), Western naming conventions, first two letters of the name or if two letters together, made sense (like, "Kr," for Kiryu, "Ge," from Greg More or, "Yb," for Roy Boateng)."

At the time, the only ones that gave me trouble were Nb (I used one of the harbor workers from 'mue), who I could now put in Nanba from Yakuza 7, Pm (and I was a moron, because I could've put in Paku Mirei/Mirei Park from Yakuza 5), Zr (he's a character from... ugh, can't remember. A Sonic game at the time that came out or something) and the UUs, which I just used 1 U from the characters' names (and Uun is from the same game as Zr, I believe. They're the only two whose names I can't remember at all).

I only had 2 rules; don't fill it up with ONLY 'mue and Yakuza/RGG characters (there are still a lot of them lol) and the characters MUST have been from Sega titles, developed by Sega, thus Sega creations (Pepsiman made his first VG appearance in Fighting Vipers, but, again, being the moron I was, I didn't realise that he WASN'T a Sega creation, at the time. Idiot), which is why Toejam/Earl, Vectorman, Bayonetta, Ecco, Treasure characters, etc, didn't make it on, otherwise it would've made things easier lol.

I haven't gone back to edit in the characters I mentioned above, for 2 reasons:

1. I no longer have the resources I did at the time (though I could probably modify it accordingly, without any issues, with what I currently have... but it's not Fireworks {with which I did 75%ish of the editing} or Photoshop).
2. I printed this one out on a lovely, glossy poster, so I don't want to ditch it lol.

Anyways, I had a really nice writeup of each character and my experience with them, when I was doing my website, so I'll see if I can pore through the files and take a look at what I said back in 2013 lol.

Attachments

• 1621516307850.png
    1621516307850.png
    894.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity KiddMarine, how would you rank the installments of the series relative to each other? I know a lot of people REALLY like 3 (though that's pretty much all I know about 3).

Hmm, I guess it would go 4>1>3>>>2. 2 is still good, but not quite on the level of the others.

YEEEEEEEEES! I have a PSP!!!!! I got one for the Kurohyos and that's all I ever played on it. YES!!!! :D lol

Ok, Burning Rangers, maybe another game or two from my backlog and then onto VC (with Judge Eyes/Judgement 2 sprinkled in somewhere). It may be a year or so until I get to it, but you can bet I will :D:D:D:D:D:D

Indeed, I thank you, DS! :D Pumped now ;) :D

As for my periodic table, let's see if I can find it anywhere... (at work, like always) Keep in mind that I did this in 2013, so it could look different today (for example, instead of Itamor from Ristar, I'd put Ichiban from Yakuza 7).

Ah, found it! It's on here (in the, "Post Your Gaming Setup," thread), but a bit rough as the picture's a touch dark:

View attachment 11450

As it is tough to find names of characters that fit up, I went for Japanese naming conventions (last name first, first name last, if it made sense), Western naming conventions, first two letters of the name or if two letters together, made sense (like, "Kr," for Kiryu, "Ge," from Greg More or, "Yb," for Roy Boateng)."

At the time, the only ones that gave me trouble were Nb (I used one of the harbor workers from 'mue), who I could now put in Nanba from Yakuza 7, Pm (and I was a moron, because I could've put in Paku Mirei/Mirei Park from Yakuza 5), Zr (he's a character from... ugh, can't remember. A Sonic game at the time that came out or something) and the UUs, which I just used 1 U from the characters' names (and Uun is from the same game as Zr, I believe. They're the only two whose names I can't remember at all).

I only had 2 rules; don't fill it up with ONLY 'mue and Yakuza/RGG characters (there are still a lot of them lol) and the characters MUST have been from Sega titles, developed by Sega, thus Sega creations (Pepsiman made his first VG appearance in Fighting Vipers, but, again, being the moron I was, I didn't realise that he WASN'T a Sega creation, at the time. Idiot), which is why Toejam/Earl, Vectorman, Bayonetta, Ecco, Treasure characters, etc, didn't make it on, otherwise it would've made things easier lol.

I haven't gone back to edit in the characters I mentioned above, for 2 reasons:

1. I no longer have the resources I did at the time (though I could probably modify it accordingly, without any issues, with what I currently have... but it's not Fireworks {with which I did 75%ish of the editing} or Photoshop).
2. I printed this one out on a lovely, glossy poster, so I don't want to ditch it lol.

Anyways, I had a really nice writeup of each character and my experience with them, when I was doing my website, so I'll see if I can pore through the files and take a look at what I said back in 2013 lol.
Holy cow, you actually found a character for all those letter combinations. 😲 That is insane. Now I really want to solve the mystery of who Zr and Uun are. I wonder if we have any Sonic aficionados here who could recognize those. I tried skimming the wiki "Characters" sections of Sonic games from around that time... didn't work out, lol.

Hmm, I guess it would go 4>1>3>>>2. 2 is still good, but not quite on the level of the others.
Neat, I have a feeling this might be how it shakes-out for me too. Currently sitting at 4 > 1 >>> 2, without having "completed" 2 yet. Pretty confident it'll end up between 4 and 2, just don't know how it'll compare to 1.

Yeah, the whole process took many hours and about a 3 week span (I would stay 2 hours after class, in my Grad Certificate classes, as that's where I had access to all of these programs).

I found Zr! Zor from Sonic Lost World! :D

Uun, I have to look a bit harder lol

EDIT* yes! Found him! I remember him being a Dragonforce character, but I'm not super-familiar with the series, hence why I couldn't recall:

Emperor Junon!

Last edited:
circling back onto VC's favorite entries, I'd say I actually like VC2 very much over other entries. I'd say it's VC2>3>4>1 for me.

Sure the overall plot/drama/design is much weaker, but the characters are abit more endearing and the developed small intimate moments were quite a highlight for me.

Without context for spoiler reasons, it's these kind of moments...
1621533335426.png

It just pulls heart-strings the bigger, "better" entries just couldn't do for me.

Yeah, the whole process took many hours and about a 3 week span (I would stay 2 hours after class, in my Grad Certificate classes, as that's where I had access to all of these programs).

I found Zr! Zor from Sonic Lost World! :D

Uun, I have to look a bit harder lol

EDIT* yes! Found him! I remember him being a Dragonforce character, but I'm not super-familiar with the series, hence why I couldn't recall:

Emperor Junon!

Well, this is embarrassing. I actually played Lost World and couldn't recognize that one at all. Dragonforce is another one I really need to get around to playing one of these days. It looks super cool, but it definitely seems like something you've got to invest some time into to really appreciate. I played it for about 5 minutes once and realized I had no idea what I was doing lmao.

circling back onto VC's favorite entries, I'd say I actually like VC2 very much over other entries. I'd say it's VC2>3>4>1 for me.

Sure the overall plot/drama/design is much weaker, but the characters are abit more endearing and the developed small intimate moments were quite a highlight for me.

It just pulls heart-strings the bigger, "better" entries just couldn't do for me.
It's cool to see a unique perspective like this. I'm gonna have to come back and check out this spoiler after I finish the story.

Nintendo Switch has broken yet again. 4th time I'll be sending it back and this time it lasted 4 weeks since the last repair. The controllers keep disconnecting from the device when attached. I hardly even use the thing. Had it for 3 years or so and only competed 3 games.

Nintendo Switch has broken yet again. 4th time I'll be sending it back and this time it lasted 4 weeks since the last repair. The controllers keep disconnecting from the device when attached. I hardly even use the thing. Had it for 3 years or so and only competed 3 games.
that sucks. is it a first gen? i'm tempted to buy a second hand switch lite in the future but i'm only interested in a few games including the newer super mario

I've been trying to avoid spamming this thread with Valkyria Chronicles posts that I know pretty much no one gives a shit about, but now that I've beat the main story of VC2 I can only behave so much. Just a couple quick thoughts:

• For all the things that annoyed, I still ended up enjoying the game quite a bit.
  • The techs were a really cool addition and went from a "wtf am I supposed to do with this shit lol" class to one my my favorites and most used.
  • Scouts started out seemingly way overpowered compared to the other classes, but that ended up being turned on its head by the end of the game, which I quite liked.
  • I thought the engineer pistol doing a little more damage and having one more shot than the scout rifle at the expense of a slight drop in accuracy + range was a really cool change and I which they kept this differentiation in 4.
  • Being limited to only 6 characters on the field at a time, being able to retreat characters in command mode without using any CP when near a base, being about to deploy units the same turn you request them, and being able to pop behind enemies (or have enemies pop behind you) due to how the bases connected the map segments really changed how the game had to be played. It definitely resulted in very different strategies from what I was using in 1 and 4.
  • The VC series once again coming in STRONG with its waifu game. Cosette, Audrey, Juliana, Noel... Just who is the biggest QT this time? We just don't know.

View attachment 11462

I really loved the fact that the scene with Avan entering her room and being bombarded with a bunch of eye-searing colors ended up having actual story significance. The way it's seemingly played for laughs, and her being a bit of a "silly" character, really mislead me and resulted in a satisfying twist. At least in terms of plot, this was my favorite part of the game. I will also say that, while I saw it coming a mile away,
the fact that she was the one who found the bomb and thus needed to cut the red wire
was very silly. I didn't exactly dislike it, though. It was just a very silly coincidence.

I'm trying to think of a game back on the original Xbox. I believe it was a driving game and it had Yakuza in the title if I'm not mistaken can anyone help me out? I enjoyed it back in the day and am drawing a blank on what it was called

Yes! That's it thank you very much! I got that game free along with Sega GT and Jet Set Radio Future it was a crazy good deal for a new Xbox from WalMart back then.
i think i might of completed wreckless back in the day. i remember the game being quite fun, it was a bit like an arcade game, i don't know if it's aged well(?)

ive owned a few copies of jet set radio future over the years, great game but for what ever reason i never never completed it till last year ( on the xbox360) , the last level is a bit psychedelic. i also had to use a through youtube walkthroughs as the game has some hard parts, which were not very clear to work out.

- i picked up a copy of blinx secondhand last month, i dont actually own an Xbox at the moment but it's one of those games i never got to play lol .. i'll probably get a series x if halo6 turns out good.

I've been trying to avoid spamming this thread with Valkyria Chronicles posts that I know pretty much no one gives a shit about, but now that I've beat the main story of VC2 I can only behave so much. Just a couple quick thoughts:

• For all the things that annoyed, I still ended up enjoying the game quite a bit.
  • The techs were a really cool addition and went from a "wtf am I supposed to do with this shit lol" class to one my my favorites and most used.
  • Scouts started out seemingly way overpowered compared to the other classes, but that ended up being turned on its head by the end of the game, which I quite liked.
  • I thought the engineer pistol doing a little more damage and having one more shot than the scout rifle at the expense of a slight drop in accuracy + range was a really cool change and I which they kept this differentiation in 4.
  • Being limited to only 6 characters on the field at a time, being able to retreat characters in command mode without using any CP when near a base, being about to deploy units the same turn you request them, and being able to pop behind enemies (or have enemies pop behind you) due to how the bases connected the map segments really changed how the game had to be played. It definitely resulted in very different strategies from what I was using in 1 and 4.
  • The VC series once again coming in STRONG with its waifu game. Cosette, Audrey, Juliana, Noel... Just who is the biggest QT this time? We just don't know.

I really loved the fact that the scene with Avan entering her room and being bombarded with a bunch of eye-searing colors ended up having actual story significance. The way it's seemingly played for laughs, and her being a bit of a "silly" character, really mislead me and resulted in a satisfying twist. At least in terms of plot, this was my favorite part of the game. I will also say that, while I saw it coming a mile away,
the fact that she was the one who found the bomb and thus needed to cut the red wire
was very silly. I didn't exactly dislike it, though. It was just a very silly coincidence.
with how underrated the series is in general, it def can use the love. A dedicated thread would be cool to start off some discussions if you wanna start one after finishing the 3rd game and catching up on all entries. It'd be a good refresher for me and help me catch some details I've prolly missed or forgotten over the years.

on story beats, seeing Alicia and Welkin's epilogue expanded with extra beats and a baby on the way was a nice touched. Seeing as the daughter's groundwork laid as a new cast member in a future entry do get the speculation going for me. Hopefully, the IP isn't shelved, cuz I wanna see that timeline come to fruition. The whole Valkyrian blood mixing with a normal(?) person is making me curios how that shapes up lore-wise.

Last edited:
Why DON'T some games have ONLINE co-op?

I only play online games with my brother and we are in separate houses. We already found it annoying that some online games lack simple online co-op in some modes; for example, not being able to play PES Master League together (we get round this via PS4 Share Play but that has its drawbacks).

However, it's mind boggling when games WITH couch co-op don't have online co-op. Untangled 2, Cuphead and Overcooked to name a few. All these games have couch co-op but negate online multiplayer.

Is there some massive cost to having an online mode? Still shocked that Cuphead in particular doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Anyone have a "Souls" genre burn out and is not as hype for Elden ring after seeing the gameplay "leaked" to be more Souls gameplay and not Sekiro's?

I wouldnt look too much into that trailer. Its probably already a year old
and was created as a internal teaser trailer test for Bandai Namco to see how it would look
and Bandai then decided against releasing it.

So i wouldnt really judge anything based on this footage yet.
Lets see what official upcoming footage will look like
because i'm pretty sure it wont be this same trailer.

Why DON'T some games have ONLINE co-op?

I only play online games with my brother and we are in separate houses. We already found it annoying that some online games lack simple online co-op in some modes; for example, not being able to play PES Master League together (we get round this via PS4 Share Play but that has its drawbacks).

However, it's mind boggling when games WITH couch co-op don't have online co-op. Untangled 2, Cuphead and Overcooked to name a few. All these games have couch co-op but negate online multiplayer.

Is there some massive cost to having an online mode? Still shocked that Cuphead in particular doesn't have it.
Local multiplayer is much cheaper, quicker, and easier to implement than online. If it's not within the budget or time constraints, it won't get added. Plus it might just be a creative decision in some instances.

Back