Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I absolutely love the Choubu-chan hunt. An excellent idea to make the player explore every nook and cranny of the shops. Thanks to that I found so many cool details. In the other Shenmue games there was never any real incentive to visit shops so I missed a lot of stuff.

I absolutely love the Choubu-chan hunt. An excellent idea to make the player explore every nook and cranny of the shops. Thanks to that I found so many cool details. In the other Shenmue games there was never any real incentive to visit shops so I missed a lot of stuff.

100% agree. I throughly enjoyed the Choubu Chan hunt and some of the creative ways they went about it. I hope going forward this gameplay element stays with the remainder of the series.

For the rest of the Shenmue series I hope Yu and company can secure some Sega arcade IPs. Modern ones to like: Virtual Fighter, House of the Dead, Daytona USA, Crane machines, Coin Pusher machines and Battling Cages. I know alot of these elements didn't exist in the 1980s but we are in the 2020s now. Let's have some fun.

Another thing I hope Yu and company continue to do is make custom arcade games. I really enjoyed the arcade games we were given in Shenmue 3(minus pale toss). Turn the pale toss element into a advanced QTE session.

With the overall storyline being kinda of a letdown in Shenmue 3 that actually bodes well for the remainder of the series. We should start seeing some real progress being made.

I just hope we get back to the mystical aspects!

I also liked this, probably the only 'new' feature Shenmue III added that I actually think was a positive addition.

I did too, but the kid at the mask stand won't say anything about it. How do you complete the quest?
Is the side quest icon not flashing when you stand near him? That’s the button you have to press (square), if not you’ve probably missed the window to complete it :(

Is the side quest icon not flashing when you stand near him? That’s the button you have to press (square), if not you’ve probably missed the window to complete it :(
It's not but why would a window close before finishing the game? If you're still able to talk to him i think you should be able to.

It's not but why would a window close before finishing the game? If you're still able to talk to him i think you should be able to.
Unfortunately, the timings for the side quests are pretty narrow. I’m following a guide of where in the game to trigger them, in order, as it seems the only reasonable way of achieving the Good Karma trophy

Did Yu Suzuki alter the story of Shenmue 3? Does anyone know how much content was cut from Shenmue 3?

Working with a limited budget maybe Yu Suzuki only wanted to highlight the main objectives of Shenmue 3. To the people who got to see the scripts is there any missing content?

Did Yu Suzuki alter the story of Shenmue 3? Does anyone know how much content was cut from Shenmue 3?

Working with a limited budget maybe Yu Suzuki only wanted to highlight the main objectives of Shenmue 3. To the people who got to see the scripts is there any missing content?

It seems clear enough that content was cut when you see Baisha completely gone, turned into the castle area which also seems to have been heavily scaled back etc. So without having seen any of the scripts I feel it’s a certainty the game had to be scaled back, and this included the story. It would be interesting to see exactly how much though.

Are there people here who have seen the script? I was not aware of this.

It seems clear enough that content was cut when you see Baisha completely gone, turned into the castle area which also seems to have been heavily scaled back etc. So without having seen any of the scripts I feel it’s a certainty the game had to be scaled back, and this included the story. It would be interesting to see exactly how much though.

Are there people here who have seen the script? I was not aware of this.

I believe one of the Kickstarter tiers was dinner with Yu Suzuki and getting to see some Shenmue scripts.

I was hoping that the purposes of the DLC were to tell the stories that couldn't be accomplished in the main game.

I believe one of the Kickstarter tiers was dinner with Yu Suzuki and getting to see some Shenmue scripts.

I was hoping that the purposes of the DLC were to tell the stories that couldn't be accomplished in the main game.

I knew about the dinner but didn’t about the scripts. That’s awesome. Peter had the dinner with Yu right?

I was also hoping the DLC would flesh out the story. Guess we’ll know more tomorrow.

This is likely what happened. He used an outline all these years and probably stuck to the high points, but dropped the stuff that might help clarify things. I don’t think he cut any major elements of the story but perhaps we would’ve seen more elaborate scenes with Niao Sun in a bigger production as an example.

Last edited:
I knew about the dinner but didn’t about the scripts. That’s awesome. Peter had the dinner with Yu right?

I was also hoping the DLC would flesh out the story. Guess we’ll know more tomorrow.

I think it's been confirmed that the upcoming DLC won't be a major storyline pusher. I'm not 100% though.

Kind of hoping it doesn’t touch the main story. It will only lead to more criticism and negative press.

Back