Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Seeing how Cinematic Universes are all the rage nowadays and Sonic is doing well at the box office, I cannot help but wonder if SEGA will start their own Cinematic Universe. If possible, hopefully we could get a Shenmue subseries.
New Yakuza film (series) is most likely option if they decide to make movies out of their IPs. Maybe Persona as well now that they own Atlus.

Can't really see any of their classic series apart from Sonic getting movie treatment.

What is the date when the bad ending occurs?
Ive tried to find/search for it and I know it was mentioned a couple of months ago.
I think someone said it was in July?

Any thoughts on the meaning of
710 on the table
does anybody think it has to do with an in game date ,actual date, maybe in game time to trigger something?

Ive tried to do different (ones known and made up) chawan signs to trigger something. Are there correlations to the different cups and glasses?

What is the date when the bad ending occurs?
Ive tried to find/search for it and I know it was mentioned a couple of months ago.
I think someone said it was in July?

Any thoughts on the meaning of
710 on the table
does anybody think it has to do with an in game date ,actual date, maybe in game time to trigger something?

Ive tried to do different (ones known and made up) chawan signs to trigger something. Are there correlations to the different cups and glasses?

Ryo's credit score.

New Yakuza film (series) is most likely option if they decide to make movies out of their IPs. Maybe Persona as well now that they own Atlus.

Can't really see any of their classic series apart from Sonic getting movie treatment.

Phantasy Star I-IV, Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, Nights, and Skies of Arcadia are all series I could see SEGA adapting to the big screen. If Marvel can bring ā€œAnt Manā€ to cinemas, I donā€™t see how SEGA couldnā€™t do the same.

Phantasy Stars I and IV could be done, but RPGs are notoriously icky to translate to a film. (II would just be tons too confusing to non-fans and wouldn't appeal, while III would be tons too convoluted; you'd need to do it in 3-4 films).

PD I think is more condusive to an anime (hence why the tried it and it failed lol); there's too little per game to do a single movie and too much if you combine all the games, to make it 1 film. PDS is an exception, of course, however I don't think it'd translate well to the screen either.

'mue we all know, but it is too niche to really be considered, I feel.

NiGHTS has potential, but another one conducive to a television show, as opposed to a film (a creature of the week for dreams, for example).

SoA would be FANTASTIC, as the setup and script-writing is very plug and play, I feel, to a feature film. Problem with that is the game is LONG and you'd probably need 3-4 films to fully flesh out that story, as crunching it down would have the entire film not make sense.

It's why a lot of games don't translate; the stories are fleshed out for hours upon hours of gameplay and truncating them for a single film cuts out too much and is poorly-received as a result.

It's why fighting games/Beat-'em-Ups have been used exclusively, as their short plots that allow for little backstory and exposition, perfectly fit the hour and a half+ mark of most films.

Persona 3 were already turned into anime movies. And honestly I would be scared of a live action Netflix adaptation of it seeing how they treated Death Note....

Edit. I forgot to add

- HoD; as you could make a great 1-2 film going after the first two games (the way they handle plot after the second game, makes for a bit of a tricky transition). And don't reuse/recycle ANYTHING Uwe Boll did... asshole. The only issue with the series is the extreme blood and gore, may not be family-friendly, if that's the area Sega is targeting.
They already did a crappy house of the dead licensed film back in 2003. It was not good...

Last edited:
Hence my, "And don't reuse/recycle ANYTHING Uwe Boll did... asshole."

Has been well-documented that he did his own thing and went off the rails, instead of actually working with Sega.

I hate the low and high far away camera angles. It's distracting and doesn't let you read people's faces and get to know them. I wish it was more like S1 or 2 where it's mostly the same two camera angles, the one on Ryo and one on other person, while having a conversation.
1.PNG2.PNG

I hate the low and high far away camera angles. It's distracting and doesn't let you read people's faces and get to know them. I wish it was more like S1 or 2 where it's mostly the same two camera angles, the one on Ryo and one on other person, while having a conversation.
View attachment 7335View attachment 7334

Really interesting topic that I havenā€™t seen previously discussed. Your post made me rewatch some conversation montages done by @BlueMue and while there are low angle shots in the original the camera does operate by different logic.

The biggest difference is the camera in original is a lot more static but often is much closer to the characters faces putting you in the headspace of Ryo. Even if the shot is wide it zooms in to put the character in perspective of Ryo.

With Shenmue 3 itā€™s a lot more dynamic with more of the background and scenery captured. However as you note it looses some of that intimacy as we arenā€™t as close to the action. Be very interested to know if that was a conscious choice. When originals came out they had some of the highest detailed models available and Iā€™m sure part of the system was showing it off. With Shenmue 3 the models obviously werenā€™t as cutting edge, nor was the facial animation. Perhaps thatā€™s why they decided for more of a distance camera capturing the environments?

Love to hear what others think.

Hence my, "And don't reuse/recycle ANYTHING Uwe Boll did... asshole."

Has been well-documented that he did his own thing and went off the rails, instead of actually working with Sega.
So thats the director name. I am awful with people names...

Do you see potential in jet set radio as a movie/show? I think itcould have potential to be adapted to something with similar similar to HBO the wire to make social critique of countries with excessive control to its citizens.

I think it could have potential to be adapted to something with similar similar to HBO the wire to make social critique of countries with excessive control to its citizens.

Iā€™ve never heard the Wire summarized like that. I think Simon put it best, it was a show looking at institutional dysfunction at all levels. And letā€™s be frank, few creative endeavours no matter the medium will ever touch the brilliance of the show.

Yes but it was a low budget indie movie and it was not directly made by Sega or a request by Sega.
It was more like Takeshi Miike made his own Yakuza movie with the okay from Sega.
The movie Sonic The Hedgehog was made by Marza Animation Planet among others which belongs to Sega.
And a Nagoshi awful cameo. Actually the movie is pretty bad, not a god RGG movie, not a good Takeshi Miike one, something in between

So thats the director name. I am awful with people names...

Do you see potential in jet set radio as a movie/show? I think itcould have potential to be adapted to something with similar similar to HBO the wire to make social critique of countries with excessive control to its citizens.

Definitely.

Though, I think they can do it in 1 film as well:

- One location
- Central cast of characters that doesn't explode into the hundreds (or even dozens) and really only 2 villains
- 1 main goal (to stop Goji), with a Macguffin to add some story to boot.

The game itself is setup to be very movie-like; the first half has you learn about Beat and the rest of the GGs, the second is introducing the rival gangs (who aren't villains, just rivals) and the emergence of the Golden Rhinos 9who are introduced when Combo and Cube are introduced). The plot is nothing outrageous that couldn't be accomplished in today's filmmaking AND even little things like character introductions or downtime/quiet scenes, could almost be lifted directly from the game (when in the hub/menu between levels, for example).

Plus, with a Mr. Exposition in Professor K, I actually think it would be the BEST choice for Sega feature film, as I've written all this out lol. It makes complete sense!

As a show, it would be able to do a week-to-week analysis and it could definitely explore the backgrounds of each character and how they fit into society/what brought them to the GGs, etc.

Good points, Creward.

I seriously thought about that, when I wrote my things above. GA and Altered Beast are part and parcel to each other; their release dates, dev teams, graphics-style (well, somewhat, more of an, "Era," look than an outright similar coding look), just everything about the games, makes them very similar and, "brothers," if you will.

It too could be adapted for the screen, as, like GA, the characters are iconic-enough, decent story that draws from something in real life, thus people would understand the plot and the creature variation would make for a visual treat, CGI-wise or even practical effects-wise.

Like GA though, not sure if the popularity would be there.

Back