Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Thanks! I love finding this kind of stuff via exploration. Based on a hunch and some Google translate, the white characters pretty much say
"Starring Kong Mei"
Aside from that and the date, I don't know what the rest says. I'd be interested to know if anyone in the community who can read Chinese would be willing to translate.

Also if you haven't before, it's definitely worth talking to her after you get beat up at hermits nest.

I'd be interested to know if anyone in the community who can read Chinese would be willing to translate.
I don't really know Chinese, so I can't make out the top, other than that it contains "Kung Fu." The title at the bottom. in Japanese, reads as 'Hinshi Yuugi.' Kind of difficult for me to translate other than sort of literally as "Near-Death Play." The advertising slogan along the right side reads as (again, in Japanese), 'Hissatsu Koubai-ken,' and I guess could probably be translated as 'Instant-Death Scarlet Plum Fist.' By the way, 'Koubai' is the pronunciation of her name in Japanese, but the character for "kou" used here is different.

I'm pretty sure that poster shows up in Niaowu, in the abandoned buildings around the Red Snakes hideout. I thought it was interesting that you could also pick up one of the daily welcome letters from the Hotel Niaowu lady up there, next to a bowl of pears. I know most of them are the opponents in the Rose Garden, but there are probably a few interesting nameplates in the Bushindou in Niaowu, too.

I was genuinely surprised by the detail in the community of Bailu. I really like the Mao family (hopefully that never gets used out of context--). Thanks for reminding me about the ema, as well. I had forgotten that I never actually went through them all.

I'm on my second play through now mostly to finally check out the DLC, but also to forget that I'm cooped up in my apartment. Turns out that the atmosphere of Bailu Village is just wonderful right now.

I'm stunned at how much new stuff I'm learning about the village and villagers that I totally missed my first time through(and I spent over an in game months there the first time)! Like who's related to who, who are the newer residents vs older families, where everyone lives, what their aspirations are, and what they think of each other all come out the more I talk to them.

I also somehow missed that two out of the three ema racks at Man Yuan Temple are from the villagers and not from backers, and I lived getting to read all the messages this time!

And my favorite new thing I learned so far is:
This is probably known by most people by now, but spoilers just in case. I used the names that villagers signed on their ema at the temple to finally figure out who's names are posted on the wall at Martial Hall, and the results were very enlightening.

As you could probably guess, the Master level names are Grandmaster Feng and also Sun.

The six names below them are of children. Some from the group practicing in the village Square, and some from the sunflower grove group.

On the left side at 1st duan are red tiger,and the lazy guards Wang Shiren and Liu Datong(I find this very funny)

At 2nd duan with black tiger is xuan the bookie as we know and Lei Mingyang(our "rival" for shenhua.

At 3rd duan with blue tiger is Wei Zhen.

At 4th duan with white tiger are Su Zixiong(better than I expected!) And... Kong Mei from the Panda Market General store!?!

It turns out that the movie poster in Kong Mei's shop that looks like Wei Zhen is actually a young Kong Mei! Wei Zhen is attempting to emulate her!That gives some extra depth to things Kong Mei says (like the way she wistfully talks about not having seen Feng in ages, or her ema about wanting her grandson to grow strong and take over the school.
You should consider asking @Switch if you could have this as a guest post on Phantom River Stone, this is amazing detail! Just goes to prove they put as much effort into character detail as the first two games

You should consider asking @Switch if you could have this as a guest post on Phantom River Stone, this is amazing detail! Just goes to prove they put as much effort into character detail as the first two games
Thanks! I think I might do that! And yeah I'm really impressed with the detail here too. Bailu is hitting almost Dobuita levels for me right now. I actually feel like I'm really in the place Shenhua grew up in and I love it.

I don't really know Chinese, so I can't make out the top, other than that it contains "Kung Fu." The title at the bottom. in Japanese, reads as 'Hinshi Yuugi.' Kind of difficult for me to translate other than sort of literally as "Near-Death Play." The advertising slogan along the right side reads as (again, in Japanese), 'Hissatsu Koubai-ken,' and I guess could probably be translated as 'Instant-Death Scarlet Plum Fist.' By the way, 'Koubai' is the pronunciation of her name in Japanese, but the character for "kou" used here is different.

I'm pretty sure that poster shows up in Niaowu, in the abandoned buildings around the Red Snakes hideout. I thought it was interesting that you could also pick up one of the daily welcome letters from the Hotel Niaowu lady up there, next to a bowl of pears. I know most of them are the opponents in the Rose Garden, but there are probably a few interesting nameplates in the Bushindou in Niaowu, too.

I was genuinely surprised by the detail in the community of Bailu. I really like the Mao family (hopefully that never gets used out of context--). Thanks for reminding me about the ema, as well. I had forgotten that I never actually went through them all.
I love that title! Would totally watch "Instant-Death Scarlet Plum Fist"

I'm excited to check out Niaowu again too. I know it won't have the same depth as Bailu just due to size, but I know I missed a bunch The first time. Plus I still need to do the DLC ha.

The only other scenarios I can think of that would've stopped the team from disbanding by now is they've got contract work (making other people's games doesn't seem very Yu Suzuki, but you never know), or they're working on an Xbox port/preparing Steam features.

An Xbox port won't be happening. Cedric confirmed in a recent interview that Shenmue 3 is console exclusive to PS4.

An Xbox port won't be happening. Cedric confirmed in a recent interview that Shenmue 3 is console exclusive to PS4.
Yeah, but for how long, though? ;) True third-party exclusives are extremely rare nowadays, even if funds/marketing were provided by a first-party. Usually these things have an end-date. It's possible the exclusivity is forever, but personally I find that unlikely. We'll see!

Yeah, but for how long, though? ;) True third-party exclusives are extremely rare nowadays, even if funds/marketing were provided by a first-party. Usually these things have an end-date. It's possible the exclusivity is forever, but personally I find that unlikely. We'll see!

I personally don't see the Xbox port happening. As Ghost said it'd need to be funded from somewhere and I don't see Microsoft putting up the money for it. Xbox kinda had their chance for Shenmue 3 on multiple occasions and everytime they turned it down, so... Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see an Xbox port, it would give the game more sales/audience which would be terrific.

It would only be worth it if they could get it on GamePass, like Sega got Shenmue 1&2 on GamePass. Would be huge, though.

Retrospectively much more new music than I thought when playing the game.

Despite my still fresh and mixed experience, the idea of replaying SIII is really growing on me.

So I've been replaying the game. I liked it the first time around, but this time it clicked for me almost instantly.

I was playing hide and seek and I saw Lin and her friend playing by the river, I went fishing and could hear the distant sounds of children laughing (thank you new headphones!), I talked to people about the village's history and suddenly Bailu was a real place to me, just like Yokosuka. Suddenly the game's issues and flaws didn't really matter much to me anymore because it had me under its spell, just like the first two games. Suddenly I was no longer annoyed that some bits didn't gel with Shenmue 2 and I just went with it. I started to love the game for what it was, and not be bothered by what it wasn't.

So, yeah. Good fucking game.

Opinion time (please don't plant a severed finger in my meal):

I really enjoy the "newer" version of the fighting area theme.
I like the minimalism of the S2 rendition, but I like the added instrumentation in this form; the jarring cut to birdsong is a nice effect, too.

I wish it would've played when entering/leaving the Rose Garden (esp. since the build up of this song is so easily missed in 2, as you can run right to the fighter).

@Nigel Where did you hear the music from? I was a big fan of the theme in S2 but I'm pissed I missed that over my playthrough (or maybe I forgot it?)

@Nigel Where did you hear the music from? I was a big fan of the theme in S2 but I'm pissed I missed that over my playthrough (or maybe I forgot it?)

It's not accessible in the game, but nonetheless included in the files (many of which, including the new, were to be used in Shenmue Online). Some of the song titles even hinted at mini-games not featured in the final product. That so much music was included but not used suggests to me that the time constraints are indeed a reality.
I'm a big fan of some of these "2.0" versions, like the updated Langhuishan theme (how dare it be relegated to lucky hit, though!)

For any/all interested: the following playlist (accessible if played on youtube) includes all featured thereof. Some are repeat tracks from S3 with different titles, though:

Last edited:
Back