Random Shenmue III Thoughts

When Yu spoke about Shenmue 3 in his most recent interview, he mentioned how a Shenmue 3 that was solely concentrated in Bailu alone would have had the same attention to detail as the original game.

After hearing that, I wish that he did just that. I'm not the biggest Shenmue 3 fan and I think the game is by far the worst in the series but I did enjoy my time in Bailu. Even with the generic rpg elements that were added to the game that stripped away an experience that was 100% 'Shenmue' to me, Bailu did a good job of retaining a lot of the Shenmue feel.

If you think about how shallow Niaowu was, it's possible that we could have cut it from the game entirely. We could have gone straight to the castle from Bailu based on the story we had in Niawou. Instead of telling Ryo and Shenhua that Yuan was taken to Niawou, Chai just tells us that they took him to the old castle in Niawou and we take a boat directly there from Langshuishan or whatever.

The thing I would have probably preferred would have been a much smaller version of Niawou so that we could have gotten the promised Baisha area in the game. I can't remember exactly but I think Yu said that Niawou's size was increased by about 4x what the team originally planned to make it.

What's the tune with the 'jazzy piano' that plays in some shops/restaurants in Niaowu? It's always stuck in my head. One of the shops across from the Golden Goose plays it.

Didn't Yu Suzuki say that if Shenmue 3 was released on Xbox he would cut his head off?

Can you blame the man lol They showed no interest in his series for almost two decades.
Only reason it should go to Xbox is for more sales and not to pander to Phil Spencer's ego.

What's the tune with the 'jazzy piano' that plays in some shops/restaurants in Niaowu? It's always stuck in my head. One of the shops across from the Golden Goose plays it.

One of the bar themes from II... not gonna say Liverpool, but maybe Swing?

There are the three, Jazzy bar tunes from II; the, "Bah, bah, bah, bah-bah!" one, the one you're referring to and I believe the tune for Liverpool...

The track names I have no clue of lol :$

EDIT* Just thinking back, I may have been mistaken and the tune you're thinking of is only in III... not sure!

:ROFLMAO:

When I did my first soundtrack download of II in 2008 (cherry-picked the songs), it made the cut back then.

I have it as, "Funny and S.I.C. Pool Hall," though not sure if that is the correct track title.

Songs from the way in:

Cinematic Photo: Funny & S.I.C. Pool Hall (Good call @Truck_1_0_1_ !)
Beats of Rage: Joy's Theme
Cake Shop: Boz Nov
Lord of the Hats: Blue Sky Beer Garden
Bar River Side: I don't know this one, sounds like something from S1 (I'm less familiar with that OST)

New Paradise in general (I just learned this one today): Loop6 from the S2 jukebox.

Embracer Group Q4 Report for 2019/2020. Don't know if there's any Shenmue III related informations.
Had a quick read of the full report. No mention in there so I'd suggest its probably not mentioned in the presentation. Unless there's a random spike in sales I'd suggest that's it for Shenmue III and Deep Silver now.

It’s not even listed as a notable release for the quarter...

Oh, well that makes sense. I thought Q4 meant October through December.

A little inside track to how Shenmue III made it to E3 2015. 5 years ago now!

I'm not crying.... you're crying!

An amazing experience and the journey has only just begun!

When you think about Shenmue and how people are so excited about it, what would be the best way to celebrate it? And so since we weren't going to publish it, the deal wasn't what they wanted and not what we wanted, we had to create a really unique scenario."

If I’m reading between the lines it seems Yu initially pitched Sony to publish it? Instead of having to change the scope multiple times, it makes you wonder what could have been if it got proper support and funding by Playststion.

Ohh well, sweet memories nonetheless.

Back