Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Ive only played the game once during the week of its release. Ill hopefully be starting a new playthrough in March

This is what all these dumb clickbait videos do to people.

Screenshot_2021-02-10 Solidus på Twitter.png

One thing is the person disliking Shenmue III, if some people don't like the game that's fine, people have different opinions, but this? this is what i don't like, some people have no respect for Yu Suzuki to the point of being very rude and stupid. Yu Suzuki is a human being too and he deserves respect.

So on the facebook 500k page, some guy made a post about why Shenmue III was shit etc. I dunno if it's because i'm just tired about the same old cycle happening again (seriously; what more can be said), and so I tried to offer logic and reason in as best and polite a manner as I could.

I think I lost it when someone said that Shenmue should just die. I called him out on his hyperbolic statement with the fairly reasonable suggestion that if he felt that strongly about it, perhaps he should take a step back from the fandom and let those who still love the series carry on and that his comments were selfish. I realised how draining it is to converse with somebody who doesn't really operate on the same level as I do. Maybe i'm old, naive, thin-skinned, whatever, but I got more upset than I should've done trying to reason with this fellow and I forgot my own advice; that of being negative drains you and the people around you. I just gave up and let him "win" and now I feel like shit. And for what?

I guess it's hard, because I can understand why people were upset, but at the end of the day, it's a fucking game. Admittedly a game and a series that means so much to be it becomes part of my personality, morality and understanding of the world and I guess an attack on the series feels like an attack on me. All it's done is made me want to hide back in my hole. After all, how can you reason with someone who doesn't want to be reasoned with?

I hate how negativity and bitterness seems to rule over kindness, tolerance and understanding.

I think I need a beer and a hug...

So on the facebook 500k page, some guy made a post about why Shenmue III was shit etc. I dunno if it's because i'm just tired about the same old cycle happening again (seriously; what more can be said), and so I tried to offer logic and reason in as best and polite a manner as I could.

I think I lost it when someone said that Shenmue should just die. I called him out on his hyperbolic statement with the fairly reasonable suggestion that if he felt that strongly about it, perhaps he should take a step back from the fandom and let those who still love the series carry on and that his comments were selfish. I realised how draining it is to converse with somebody who doesn't really operate on the same level as I do. Maybe i'm old, naive, thin-skinned, whatever, but I got more upset than I should've done trying to reason with this fellow and I forgot my own advice; that of being negative drains you and the people around you. I just gave up and let him "win" and now I feel like shit. And for what?

I guess it's hard, because I can understand why people were upset, but at the end of the day, it's a fucking game. Admittedly a game and a series that means so much to be it becomes part of my personality, morality and understanding of the world and I guess an attack on the series feels like an attack on me. All it's done is made me want to hide back in my hole. After all, how can you reason with someone who doesn't want to be reasoned with?

I hate how negativity and bitterness seems to rule over kindness, tolerance and understanding.

I was in the convo man. Some people being ridiculous saying people should be pissed.

Ignore them man.

I was in the convo man. Some people being ridiculous saying people should be pissed.

Ignore them man.
Normally, i'm able to rise above it. I reckon maybe i've had a crappy day with work not being distracting enough, so trying to butt in the conversation with my tuppence, but yeah, I had to stop after a while for the sake of my own mental health. It's really not worth it!

Yeah, I know how you feel. It's usually pointless to argue with people online about something that you feel so passionate about that their negative comments feel almost like a personal attack. It just makes you feel shitty afterwards and, for the most part, it's best to just ignore these people. Even if you don't directly engage with them, just reading what they said and stewing over it can leave you in a bad state of mind.

Here's a virtual beer and a virtual hug: 🍺🤗

Yeah, I know how you feel. It's usually pointless to argue with people online about something that you feel so passionate about that their negative comments feel almost like a personal attack. It just makes you feel shitty afterwards and, for the most part, it's best to just ignore these people. Even if you don't directly engage with them, just reading what they said and stewing over it can leave you in a bad state of mind.

Here's a virtual beer and a virtual hug: 🍺🤗
Thank you! I'm usually pretty good with these things; talk about the things that make me happy, be a critical friend when needed, but rarely do I moan for the sake of it. It's self-destructive; especially during lockdown! Normally i'd keep busy with meeting friends, studying, cinema, gigs and such, but obviously it's not possible at the moment. I try to keep busy, but sometimes it's almost too easy to just look on your phone, see something and say "that's not on"! By then, it's too late haha. I guess it happens to the best of us :)

I didn't go back to III in Nov like I'd planned, so I've still only played it once with a playtime of ~27 hours. I remember being surprised at the clock when I beat it -- it felt longer because I only played an hour per night for a month. It was about the same length for me as II during my I & II HD playthrough.

Whenever negativity crops up around the game, I feel happy that my passion for the series hasn't diminished in the slightest. I'm calmer and more mature about it now, and getting IV doesn't feel as desperately important as getting III did back when I was 17 or whatever, but I still really want to see it happen. I still can't wait for the anime, and I still feel inspired by the series. Most of all, I look back on III with a lot of fondness, even if it wasn't perfect.

Shenmue shouldn't die but 3 could do with a Kiwami style remake.

But I don't think Sega will bother publishing another Shenmue

Normally, i'm able to rise above it. I reckon maybe i've had a crappy day with work not being distracting enough, so trying to butt in the conversation with my tuppence, but yeah, I had to stop after a while for the sake of my own mental health. It's really not worth it!

Which is why I don't regret blocking randoms who try to be confrontational online. I'm getting too old for drama shit. I got enough going on in real life as it is. Fuck their free speech rights.

And when these turds start making popular games of their own, they can start slagging off the likes of Yu Suzuki.

Shenmue shouldn't die but 3 could do with a Kiwami style remake.

But I don't think Sega will bother publishing another Shenmue
SEGA didn't bother publishing III so I don't see why they'd bother with IV at this point. SEGA have just underwent a restructure, too, with Nagoshi of Yakuza fame taking what appears to be a demotion. Not the most stable business right now.

SEGA didn't bother publishing III so I don't see why they'd bother with IV at this point. SEGA have just underwent a restructure, too, with Nagoshi of Yakuza fame taking what appears to be a demotion. Not the most stable business right now.

Yeah but that is highly speculated to be because of insulting comments he made about Puyo Puyo esports players last year.

Aight well on a side note, This is kinda neat guys!

Edit: Was it really necessary to put this under stats lol
View attachment 10438
That is a great little write-up, nonetheless.

Yeah but that is highly speculated to be because of insulting comments he made about Puyo Puyo esports players last year.
I don't buy that for a second, personally. Maybe a company could use that as an excuse for demoting someone who they really want to demote for other, real reasons, though.

I didn't go back to III in Nov like I'd planned, so I've still only played it once with a playtime of ~27 hours. I remember being surprised at the clock when I beat it -- it felt longer because I only played an hour per night for a month. It was about the same length for me as II during my I & II HD playthrough.

Whenever negativity crops up around the game, I feel happy that my passion for the series hasn't diminished in the slightest. I'm calmer and more mature about it now, and getting IV doesn't feel as desperately important as getting III did back when I was 17 or whatever, but I still really want to see it happen. I still can't wait for the anime, and I still feel inspired by the series. Most of all, I look back on III with a lot of fondness, even if it wasn't perfect.

Despite the backlash of Shenmue III, Shenmue IV is still my most desired game this upcoming generation. Especially when you consider the fact that we're all getting older, especially Yu Suzuki. Shenmue III is just a blip on the radar for me when it comes to it's story progression, but I still NEED to see how this story ends.

Back