Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Is it correct that Magic Kyoto will be this Wednesday 6th November? Suzuki and some producers will be playing Shenmue 3 there correct?

Are we expecting any news or new footage? Should we be excited for the event? last Shenmue 3 showing before release?

Gio Corsi has left Playstation. This guy was instrumental in getting Shenmue III made, so ... thank you Gio!

EIirlHfUYAAG2z1

Yeah I'd agree with that. Maybe some of the arcade games examples would have been good here.

On facebook I've put a comment stating that if people want to get up to speed with 3 without playing the remasters, there's a 15 minute recap. Might help swing those on the fence. Can't blame Sony for linking to the Shenmue I & II page though....sales are sales !

It feels like you know where the character is going, a little too much cliche and whiny. He's pretty much a male tsundere.
I prefer guizang, then he bangs Joy and makes Ren watch.

Um, I thought that Guizhang and Joy were cousins? That... would be gross.

Edit: I think I am wrong. I looked it up and they are just close friends. I think I was taking Joy referring to Master Chen as "Uncle Chen" literally.

Last edited:
I love Ren as a character.
On of the most intresting and fun in whole game for sure.
Also he has many humorous scenes with Ryo that I love.

Maybe it's just me, but is it not a bit weird to release previews when the game is only two weeks away? Reviews must be around the corner, surely? Is this normal for a lot of games?

Maybe next week.
doesn't seem like all games have that many days between reviews and lauch like Death stranding.

"From a newcomer's point of view, however, the game undoubtedly sucks"

Ouch. You know, I hate it when critics make points like this. I just find it lazy. Eurogamer wrote an article in which they made similar claims about the remastered ports of Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gates games. They basically said new players who have no nostalgia attached to those games or the genre won't like them. Well I got the pack with Planescape Torment, had never played the game before (or much of the D&D Western RPG genre) and have no nostalgia for the games, and I'm loving Planescape Torment. I made sure I commented and let them know.

It's like they think gamers are babies who can't handle anything a bit different or that doesn't have much hand-holding mechanics.

Yeah, I was a bit taken aback with that comment as well. You could argue the same of any game. They've only seen the first hour so it seems wrong to make a comment like that.

However, it's just a preview. Can you imagine the Death Stranding reviews if they only had 1 hour

"I can't tell you if this game is any good as I'm still watching a cut scene" :ROFLMAO:

Still the guy is a fan and can't wait for it, so hopefully he's reviewing it !

"From a newcomer's point of view, however, the game undoubtedly sucks"

Ouch. You know, I hate it when critics make points like this. I just find it lazy. Eurogamer wrote an article in which they made similar claims about the remastered ports of Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gates games. They basically said new players who have no nostalgia attached to those games or the genre won't like them. Well I got the pack with Planescape Torment, had never played the game before (or much of the D&D Western RPG genre) and have no nostalgia for the games, and I'm loving Planescape Torment. I made sure I commented and let them know.

It's like they think gamers are babies who can't handle anything a bit different or that doesn't have much hand-holding mechanics.
That's the problem with the industry in general. Depending on the genre critics expect you to use the standard copy and paste template and if it's different then it's "weird". Reason why we have so many of the same games. Make a western rpg: Follow the bioware or fallout template. Open world adventure: Follow the GTA template....etc

This preview article is shitting on Shenmue 3 hard. What a loser who compared the Yakuza series and believes there's no point to releasing something low budget, what a CUNT.Screenshot_2019-11-04-17-49-14-1.png

Yeah, I was a bit taken aback with that comment as well. You could argue the same of any game. They've only seen the first hour so it seems wrong to make a comment like that.

However, it's just a preview. Can you imagine the Death Stranding reviews if they only had 1 hour

"I can't tell you if this game is any good as I'm still watching a cut scene" :ROFLMAO:

Still the guy is a fan and can't wait for it, so hopefully he's reviewing it !

Yeah, it's definitely a weird one. The first couple of hours of Persona 4 are pretty boring, but by the 5-6 hour point it quickly was becoming one of my favourite RPGs ever. Not everything has to be immediate.

Joker (the 2019 movie) has quite a slow pace too, but the slow build really pays off and it's easily one of the best films I have seen in the last year or two.

This preview article is shitting on Shenmue 3 hard. What a loser who compared the Yakuza series and believes there's no point to releasing something low budget, what a CUNT.View attachment 5160
I read that one. Pretty lazy preview. Anybody that makes that comment has no credibility as the two series are almost nothing alike. Funny when he talks immersion bc Yakuza after all these years couldn't fill the Shenmue void. I bet he can play the zillions of shooters and standard rpgs but he can ONLY play one out of Shenmue and Yakuza.

I’m still in disbelief of the fact that we not only received the HD remakes of Shenmue but also the long awaited true Shenmue 3 sequel. Sometimes I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Back in 2005 when there wasn’t the slightest glimpse of hope for the third game and the only talk of Shenmue was the extraneous Shenmue online game, I would have never believed that this day would eventually come.

And here we are, just two weeks away from playing part 3. Life is strange in that regard, surreal, almost like a dream at times.

I haven’t played the remakes yet, nor have I ever played the first game. My introduction to the series came by way of the Xbox. In fact the last time I picked up a controller to play Shenmue was 15 years ago. The game I’ve mostly forgotten, even the memory of the emotions I experienced have long past. Yet, the impact that the game made must have been so profound for me that I still feel this subconcious yearning for the third game, not unlike encoded DNA which becomes ones innate driving force.

This wait has been a long one. There is a solidarity among Shenmue 3 fans, each of us impacted by this game that few others will understand - of why we come go these forums day in and out, of why we fought for the third game for all these years, of why we defend it against detractors.

It’s a bittersweet feeling I suppose as launch day approaches. As one journey ends a new one begins. And so onward we will go to fight for the 4th game - even if we may have to wait for awhile. :)

I hope you play and finish Shenmue 1 before Shenmue 3. JUST DO IT!!!(Shia LaBeouf voice).

This preview article is shitting on Shenmue 3 hard. What a loser who compared the Yakuza series and believes there's no point to releasing something low budget, what a CUNT.View attachment 5160

techadvisor.co.uk. Never heard of them. They don't even contribute to the metacritic score

Who cares. Don't worry about it

Unfortunatelty we are going to see a ton of lazy Yakuza comparisons, it's 'easy' journalism.

I will be honest, I can't recommend Shenmue 3 to my friends, as they have never played or heard of Shenmue.
I wouldn't even advise them to play the Shenmue 1 & 2 ports because I think the graphics, voice acting and controls would instantly put them off.
I could sit and explain why Shenmue was so important in the gaming industry and all the things it did before any other games... but it wouldn't matter.
I think you had to experience it when it was new to truly appreciate it and gain the attachment to the story and characters.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of young and very vocal gaming journalist who will bring this game down.

Back