Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Also just sounds like the kind of thing someone says when a project hasn't officially been announced. You guys forget there's a lot of people and companies invested in these projects. Yu/Cedric/whoever isn't just gonna admit it's in development at a random event or on Twitter. They risk letting down their employees/investors, etc.

Meanwhile, I'll keep searching for hints!

If the anime is a big success, and it could well be judging by the reaction to the trailer, SEGA are going to have to seriously consider what they want to do with the IP going forward.

Concluding the story as an anime over a further two or three seasons would be a conservative move, but I'm sure one we could all live with given the quality. But if it's a *really* big success, brings in a ton of new fans worldwide, and drives evergreen sales of the games, they're going to have to seriously consider rolling the dice.

If the anime is a big success, and it could well be judging by the reaction to the trailer, SEGA are going to have to seriously consider what they want to do with the IP going forward.

Concluding the story as an anime over a further two or three seasons would be a conservative move, but I'm sure one we could all live with given the quality. But if it's a *really* big success, brings in a ton of new fans worldwide, and drives evergreen sales of the games, they're going to have to seriously consider rolling the dice.

I'm going to posit they've been "seriously considering" it since the Kickstarter took off like a rocket and/or after Shenmue I&II managed to sell seemingly very well.

I'm going to posit they've been "seriously considering" it since the Kickstarter took off like a rocket and/or after Shenmue I&II managed to sell seemingly very well.
I mean... yeah. Despite the hyperbole about Shenmue III, it reviewed okay and sold okay. It may be the only game in the series that recouped its budget, even though it was on a vastly different playing field to the originals.

Says more about the industry if that is cause at all to slam the door shut on future projects, but I don't think it is. For reasons I can't really go into publicly, I know for a fact on some level SEGA are pushing the series and are aware that it can make money for them. They have an active investment in keeping the series alive and growing it - which is where the anime comes from, but it's yet to be seen if they'll stretch all the way to a new game yet.

It's hard to say. In the gaming industry too much money is not enough money; the disparity between AAA publishers and those who want to make the best game possible as an art piece is growing wider with the day. You'd think if a game made a profit, then that's good enough, but i'm not a cold hearted capatalist, so what do I know?

But yeah, Sega know they're onto a good thing. One of the social media team even popped up in the Shenmue Dojo twitch stream the other day, so it's clear they know that Shenmue means lot to people.

This could be way off, but if Red Goes Faster is YS Net, and it's kinda like an AM2 arcade racer by day / Shenmue by night...that could be real good.

It's a unique mix of gameplay styles, for a game that doesn't sound like it follows the typical open world vehicle mission structure.

Maybe what you do during the story-focussed sections will affect your driving abilities?? :cool:

I still am of the thought that I would rather prefer RGG Studio working on Shenmue IV with Yu Suzuki as the Executive Producer. From what I know, there's a lot of ex-AM2 staff there. The main reason why I want them to make Shenmue IV is due to the character models. Shenmue III's characters looked good given the constraints that the team had to work with, but they're missing that "Sega" look to them.

RGG seems to nail this down perfectly. Without even knowing what game it is, you can tell who made it just by looking at the characters. Shenmue I and II had this, all of RGG games had this and even a lot of the older classic Sega titles had this. Shenmue IV would benefit from a facelift from the homegrown talent at their source studio.

No it wouldn't.

As much as I go nuts for the RGG series, I don't want them anywhere near 'mue.

They aren't the same game, nor are they close.

(I get where you're coming from, btw, but still, no).

No it wouldn't.

As much as I go nuts for the RGG series, I don't want them anywhere near 'mue.

They aren't the same game, nor are they close.

(I get where you're coming from, btw, but still, no).
At this point I’d be happy if anyone was willing to make Shenmue 4, let alone Sega/RGG. I see where your objections are coming from though. RGG games just don’t offer the same level of detail as Shenmue nor are they quite the same tonally either. To be honest, I’d love to see what the team could accomplish if given an opportunity to stretch their legs a little and put a few steps between themselves and the Yakuza series. Judgment is, to some extent, an example of them doing just that, though it’s still a little too similar to really be classed as it’s own thing.

I agree, Tomboz, that if nobody was willing to make it and SOMEONE had to do it, I'd of course be down.

But so long as Yu is alive, kicking and has his own team under him, he should be the one.

October 24, 2021 and we don't have news if Shenmue IV is in development, if nothing happen next year about this then i will start to get worried if Shenmue IV is really going to happen.

Next year we will have the anime so maybe they will announce Shenmue IV with the last episode of the anime or something like this, i don't know but is a possibility.

I think Shenmue IV is in development but people that are working on the project just can't say yet, i really feel that 18 years of wait will not happen again. Shenmue II 2001 - Shenmue III 2019, i don't think a long wait like this will happen again, a long wait that we will not have news and where we will wonder what will be the future of Shenmue.

I really feel that if Yu Suzuki don't have more opportunities to continue or decide to continue the story in another medium that Yu Suzuki will let the fans know about this.

In my opinion Shenmue is more alive now than it was in the past, and probably the anime will bring more fans to the community.

I just hope that Yu Suzuki can have the opportunities to finish Shenmue in a way that will be satisfying to him. LetsGetShenmueIV

EdUHIcMWAAY7lLY.jpg

Picture By Shenmue Forever

Yeah, I don't really buy that RGG Studio are inherently the right people for Shenmue IV.

A larger core staff with more veteran developers among them would be helpful, but that doesn't necessarily have to come from RGG Studio (and in fact, it would be better if YsNet sought developers with UE experience instead). Ideally Shenmue IV has enough staff to silo people off in teams dedicated to individual features and functions like on the original, which can either come from increasing the number of core YsNet staff or bringing in more external contractors from the likes of historia Inc.

The way it seems to have been done on Shenmue III with a generalised staff that touches *everything* isn't necessarily the wrong way to do things given the constraints, but it does explain the lack of polish. Faced with a choice between dropping features core to the overall Shenmue experience or accepting imperfect and flawed implementations, I don't think I would have chosen any differently either.

The Chi You Men has 4 leaders correct? We know two of them, but what if the other 2 are Fuku-San and Ine-San. Now that would be the greatest plot twist in video game history.

Back