Random Shenmue Thoughts

I think 1 million ensures that the franchise is safe for future games.

Something like 2 million+ and then Sega jumps back on the bandwagon.

JMO, but that's how I think it goes.

Do you know how many units the Yakuza games average in sells? I figure if Shenmue 3 can match the Yakuza games that would be a positive sign. I'm not really optimistic about Shenmue selling 2 million. When you look at the Shenmue 1&2 remasters those didn't sell crazy units (at least from what I can find). I heard Sega was happy with the sells though. With that being said I hope I'm completely wrong and Shenmue 3 kills it.

Ryu ga Gotoku titles are always fairly low-budget (as we mentioned, the reusing of assets cuts down on costs significantly), in comparison to other AAA games nowadays, but they also sell for a higher price than what 'mue will be on day one (JP version of Judge Eyes cost me $83.00 American, whereas 'mue III is at EB with the goodies, for $79.99 Canadian).

So yeah, the Ryu ga Gotoku Games make their money back and thensome.

This is just me shooting from the hip not fact. I bet the Shenmue team would be open to reusing assets. Probably not locations I highly doubt that the Shenmue games would take place in the same locations. One of my fears is that everyone that likes Shenmue has already supported it via Kickstarter/Slacker Backer. Many people have have stated Shenmue fans should buy another copy at retail to further support but IMO only a small percentage of the community is going to be willing to do that. Maybe the DLC will close the gap. Again I hope I'm wrong.

Been trying to get my Shenmue Let's Play Uploaded, think I finally managed it :)
I played it with my friend who has never seen it before, not sure he was completely taken with it but it was cool to have a fresh perspective along with mine. I'm hoping we can continue this soon.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this but there is something I always wanted to try, replace Ryo with other NPCs in Shenmue II, and it doesnt seem that theres currently a way to do so, or at least i couldn't find how to do it. Unfortunately the best i could do is to replace him with models with scrambled textures and no way to fix it. And now I think I figured out how to make it work. As an example I replaced Ryo with Joy, and so far it works ok.
0hysCFn.jpg

fFOz7MV.jpg

3iKvHvs.jpg

KbNf6RS.jpg
Essentially, its a type of PKS/PKF -> .mt7 conversion process.
I had to do everything manually and the process ended up quite time consuming and to save some time I used some quick and hacky way to replace textures using textureoverride.
So In theory, it should also work on Deamcast/xbox, but for now it only works on PC re-release.

I'll be glad to share how I did it if anyone interested, and maybe someone could even write a tool to make things easier.

If you want to try, as always use Froklift mod loader, unpack attached archive to mods folder, so far it only works with what would be Disc 1 on dreamcast scenes. i.e scenes/01/ folder
Also, if you already have a custom textureoverride file, make a backup or fuse them together.

Attachments

• Joy_mod.zip
    641 KB · Views: 1
I'm not really optimistic about Shenmue selling 2 million
Kingdom Come sold 2 million with practically no marketing. Shenmue is an established series with a legendary history and has a arm of Sony providing marketing, I honestly think 1 million is easy and 2 million is plausible especially with the Chinese market and the whole Epic thing has been a blessing in disguise as it has brought attention to a wider public who do not care about the politics and think it looks cool.

Kingdom Come sold 2 million with practically no marketing. Shenmue is an established series with a legendary history and has a arm of Sony providing marketing, I honestly think 1 million is easy and 2 million is plausible especially with the Chinese market and the whole Epic thing has been a blessing in disguise as it has brought attention to a wider public who do not care about the politics and think it looks cool.
That's a very optimistic way of looking at it. I hope you're right!

That's a very optimistic way of looking at it. I hope you're right!
I hope so, my friend. Although I feel sometimes Shenmue fans have had the narrative of Shenmue being a failure and it can never be otherwise, beat into their head so hard that it can be very difficult to be optimistic. Well all this stuff recently nearly killed mine but fuck it I'll be happy and optimistic to spite the universe!

With the announcement of Shenmue 3 I thought the Shenmue 1&2 remasters would be higher. I hope I'm wrong and Shenmue 3 sells well. Being a holiday release will help it as well.

With the announcement of Shenmue 3 I thought the Shenmue 1&2 remasters would be higher. I hope I'm wrong and Shenmue 3 sells well. Being a holiday release will help it as well.
Shenmue 3 is a new game not as many people care about buying old games in fact the mainstream overwhelmingly favors buying a new game as opposed to an old even if it has a heavy story they'd miss.

I wish Sony would go all in on marketing this game as major release for PS4. It doesn't seem like they've been too involved since the initial E3 2015 announcement, aside from uploading trailers to the official PlayStation YouTube channel.

I wish Sony would go all in on marketing this game as major release for PS4. It doesn't seem like they've been too involved since the initial E3 2015 announcement, aside from uploading trailers to the official PlayStation YouTube channel.

I don't think Sony would be willing to do that, marketing cost alot of money. As far as I know the deal with Sony involved publishing and letting Shenmue use the E3 stage for announcement.

Downloaded Redream last night, and realised I could pair my Xbox One controller to my Galaxy S9+ via Bluetooth. I tried Shenmue (Kogami's Undub) on it, and aside from a few graphical glitches (mostly between scene transitions), it's pretty damn impressive. My S9+ unfortunately has an Exynos processor so I can't seem to do the per pixel emulation (I get a mostly black screen), but the per strip emulation does the job well enough. Now I've ordered a phone clip from Hong Kong so I can clip my phone to my controller and play Shenmue on the loo :p

That's what I did with Judge Eyes.

I have a Sony Xperia (thanks to Yakuza 6 :D) and I just hooked it up one day to Second Screen, had the proper holder for a PS4 controller et voila!

That's what I did with Judge Eyes.

I have a Sony Xperia (thanks to Yakuza 6 :D) and I just hooked it up one day to Second Screen, had the proper holder for a PS4 controller et voila!
Man, if I wasn't such a poorboi I'd be all over that. I have a hacked Vita I use for (some) arcade and genny emulation while winding down in bed, but no DC and Saturn emulation sucks so bad.
also the arcade emulation sucks way more than it should even for the 2D stuff, but that's another discussion entirely

How to sum up Shenmue in one page by famitsuDC 2001-07

The Japanese reads;
*That famous scene from the opening prologue
*Does Nozomi's confession feel the same in English ?!
*In Japanese it means 'But you're not going to Hong Kong' right ?

Back