SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

If only they had done this to promote the games when they first released. Really nailed how to do something like this now.

Notived some popups in the background during the 70 Person Free Battle wich is slightly odd. The bloom worked wonders in that shot with Master Chen in the light, a good example how it can actually aid the visuals.

i'm still a little bit scared because of the random camera / framerate stuttering
that you can see in like every second scene in every video. i hope the game runs smooth.
i really hate choppy sub 30 fps. i understand thats the best the Dreamcast can do,
but it would be a huge downer for me, if the HD version has the same hiccup problems as the original.

i dont care about graphics or screen resolution but please give me at least 100% stable 30 fps.

No this isn't the fault of the Dreamcast. The originals ran at a very steady 30fps. There were slowdowns but they didn't chop up the framerate.
Pretty sure it's just a side effect from unoptimal framerate conversion in the video itself, as it's 60fps.

i'm still a little bit scared because of the random camera / framerate stuttering
that you can see in like every second scene in every video. i hope the game runs smooth.
i really hate choppy sub 30 fps. i understand thats the best the Dreamcast can do,
but it would be a huge downer for me, if the HD version has the same hiccup problems as the original.

i dont care about graphics or screen resolution but please give me at least 100% stable 30 fps.

Completely fair, I'm not entirely sure why we see it in the trailers myself. I'm not particularly bothered by the aspect ratio+presentation (I like what we've seen so far a lot) but the fps dips would be a harder pill to swallow for me admittingly and would detract a bit.

One thing I suspect it to be is an issue in rendering or uploading. I say this because I've noticed the extended Shenmue trailer had this issue from one sega uploaded account (I think Europe) but didn't in the other (which i believe was SoA either on twitter or youtube, the specific scene in question is Ryo and Nozomi on the bike, just as Nozomi leans her head on his shoulders).

I also noticed this with a different game trailer that was present in the Sega Europe channel and not the SoA one (this was with Valkyria Chronicles 4's trailer from a few weeks back)

I'm remaining confident that it'll be locked and fine playing the game itself without any stuttering, or any behaviour like that will be eliminated in the launch code. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: Now that I think about it: what @BlueMue says in his post makes perfect sense. VC4 is also 30fps and the trailer behaved similarly (with stutters/issues) while the recently released demo did not. i suspect this could be the reason why (the fault lying in video rendering).

Like Bluemue pointed out, the pop in sure is odd on the 70 man battle bit they showed. Seems like the dark shadowy fog that hides that pop in from the original is not properly rendering. Hopefully the footage is just a old build. Either way if it does ship like this im confident d3t would hear us and patch it accordingly.
Notice here in the original the cargo in the distance become progressively dark the farther they are in.
hqdefault.jpg
While in here that effect is missing making the pop in very obvious. 70.jpg
Side note, the counter of men defeated and timer font looks very good and accurate to the original.

Last edited:
Side note, the counter of men defeated and timer font looks very good and accurate to the original.
Which is strange considering how bad the subtitles look... I'm crossing my fingers that was just a placeholder font and they're recreating the original font for release... I know I'm probably kidding myself but please...

At this point I just don't know what to think, are they not working with final assets? or are they just reverse engineering the games like Kingdom Hearts?

View attachment 386
Oh jesus... well keep in mind this footage may not reflect the final game but damn man that's scary...

Looking at the 70 man battle it seems they are using Ryo's model from shenmue 2, the jacket is higher res and his shoes are more rounded.
Very interesting find! The original Ryo model on the 70 man battle was noticeable lower poly than the rest of the game so this is a welcomed change.

The belt is present in this shot though. :unsure: We shouldn't panic just yet, lets wait till the re releases are out. Not too long of a wait now.belt.jpg
EDIT: Belt has been missing on the Xbox port all this time which is the version S2HD is based on. This is not even d3t's fault. belt xbox.jpg

everything looks great, I cannot wait.

This is once of the many reasons I only played the xbox version once lmfao...

This is once of the many reasons I only played the xbox version once lmfao...

I think the original Xbox version was missing some textures in general, i remember on joys bike the tail area was offcolor and I remember the gate near workers pier as well as the moon effect I think was also missing. It seemed like the xbox version split from an earlier development than the Dreamcast version.

Back