SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

There's a possible other what's Shenmue video. No idea when though
My gut feeling is that we will see a What is Shenmue Part 3 at least.

Yeah, It makes me think if this is something they we continue with post-launch too. It makes sense that they would do one on gameplay and locations.

I like these videoclips to advertising a Shenmue-Game. Hopefully Deep Silver makes it with Shenmue III.

Ok, I am lost with the aspect ratio thing now... why some scenes en Shenmue II are 4:3 not letterboxed?

Ok, I am lost with the aspect ratio thing now... why some scenes en Shenmue II are 4:3 not letterboxed?
Just the way the original game handled it. A lot of the QTEs and stuff were in regular 4:3 whereas most of the more cinematic cutscenes were in 4:3 letterboxed...

Just the way the original game handled it. A lot of the QTEs and stuff were in regular 4:3 whereas most of the more cinematic cutscenes were in 4:3 letterboxed...

To me now looks like a ratio salad, there are QTEs scenes in 16:9 and other in 4:3, but anyways, I will probably play it on 4:3 the whole time.

Also, new HUD image from this video

To me now looks like a ratio salad, there are QTEs scenes in 16:9 and other in 4:3, but anyways, I will probably play it on 4:3 the whole time.

Also, new HUD image from this video
My first playthrough I'm gonna give the widescreen options a shot, but I have a feeling I won't like them very much and just stick to 4:3 in the long run. To be fair, I always thought the transitions in 2 on DC were pretty jarring as well, I never understood why they chose to go back and fourth...

That transition from the Sparring Gameplay in the park to the 4:3 Letterboxed cutscene was just painful... I might genuinely have to play this in 4:3 throughout too.

Most of what I saw in the leaked stream is in the latest video - in particular, the new text and the UI - so if you want to keep these aspects a surprise, I suggest not watching it.

The more I see of the bloom effect, the less I like it. Any characters with pale skin glow like they've been involved in a nuclear disaster, and anything white looks like it's lit up. Not great, but glad I'll be able to switch it off in the settings.

The gameplay itself looks crisp, and the aspect ratio chopping and changing won't bother me. Bring it on!

I actually quite liked this 3rd and final teaser. I can't explain why, but I didn't think much of the first 2. But in this final one, I just think, were I someone who had not already played the games, this final video would garner my interest.

I'm curious if anyone knows if there will be options for the border outside the screen ratio, can we change it in terms of colour, design etc?

Nice video series. I am really surprised at the positive reaction in the comments section on PlayStation's YouTube postings of them.

The interface is looking great, I think its a nice touch with the Dreamcast controller and the VMU.

shdi.png

Back