Shenmue 3 fight engine

Wow seams I'm in the minority on this one I actually wasn't expecting that lol fair enough I guess

😕

The fighting is nowhere near as bad as some have made it out to be. I mean, sure, it's not the VF engine and I miss doing such counters as Swallow Flip and I do miss the thrill of hitting a true Counter Elbow Assault....but for what it is, it's solid. If they can add to it and flesh it out a bit more in a potential IV, it could be pretty damn good as a whole.

Took a while for me to get it, but I love. It feels like Tekken-lite with a bit of Virtua Fighter to me.

Ryo can continuously string all of his moves into his other moves for potential big combos. Some moves have high/low crush qualities. For example if an opponent tries a low sweep on Ryo if you do tornado kick Ryo will actually jump over their low kick. Or if an opponent is trying to roundhouse kick or punch Ryo, Ryo can do his ground sweep or time mud spider correctly it'll go under their kick and punches. They also have wall splats and I'm pretty sure there's some kind of counter-hit stagger state. I'd love to talk to whoever did the fighting to tell me where they're drawing the influences from.

The one thing it needs is the ability to pull up the skill book move list in sparring. It's a hell of a lot of stuff to remember. They can touch up some animations and the body-to-body interactions a bit, but I think that's down to the budget. You need 2 person mo-cap to do it properly in a 3D game, and it can get pricey.

When they add throws, proper counters, and parries back the system will be crazy deep. On the level of a true fighting game experience. I'm getting way more mileage than I thought I would when I first heard there would only be strike moves.

Sounds very Tobal #1'ish

I like the combat a lot. I play with my fingers on the face buttons like an arcade stick and I find it helps a lot in executing the moves quickly. I understand the problem of “lag” when trying to hit someone, but it only really applies when you’re attempting a basic punch or kick. For a move like the Square > Cross/X > Circle kick, that executes as soon as you hit the circle button. Most moves that have 2 or more buttons in the string will go off as soon as you finish the inputs. And for basic punches, you can just hit them multiple times so the game knows you’re not entering another move and they will occur with less delay.

I much prefer 3’s face button commands rather than the D pad for the more 3D fighting of this game, as it always felt awkward when the camera would swivel around you in 1 or 2 and you had to switch up which buttons were forward/back in the middle of combat.

There’s also a good amount of moves that chain together really nicely, and I enjoy experimenting to discover new combos.

Although VF is godly and a more brawlerish game like this can’t really compete, I think Shenmue 3’s combat is some of the coolest I’ve encountered in the genre. I much prefer it to the extremely basic fighting in the Yakuza games. There is a depth here that I think most people who describe it as “button mashy” are missing out on.

If they can add an evade button and grapples, I think we could have something superior than 1 and 2 in the next installment (in the context of a non-pure 3D fighter where you face multiple opponents). As it stands, 3 is great, but still not as good overall. It has potential.

Maybe they can move the shortcut button to the right bumper/R1 and use the right trigger/R2 to enter a grapple stance, where the buttons could then trigger different input strings like the guard button currently does. I always found the grapples a little tricky to get right in the heat of battle, so using button inputs instead of directionals could mitigate that. Then we could use the left bumper as an evade/parry button. Or just make it so directional flicks in the guard stance do that instead of sidesteps or have it so you time the press to dodge. Idk.

I like the combat a lot. I play with my fingers on the face buttons like an arcade stick and I find it helps a lot in executing the moves quickly. I understand the problem of “lag” when trying to hit someone, but it only really applies when you’re attempting a basic punch or kick. For a move like the Square > Cross/X > Circle kick, that executes as soon as you hit the circle button. Most moves that have 2 or more buttons in the string will go off as soon as you finish the inputs. And for basic punches, you can just hit them multiple times so the game knows you’re not entering another move and they will occur with less delay.

I much prefer 3’s face button commands rather than the D pad for the more 3D fighting of this game, as it always felt awkward when the camera would swivel around you in 1 or 2 and you had to switch up which buttons were forward/back in the middle of combat.

There’s also a good amount of moves that chain together really nicely, and I enjoy experimenting to discover new combos.

Although VF is godly and a more brawlerish game like this can’t really compete, I think Shenmue 3’s combat is some of the coolest I’ve encountered in the genre. I much prefer it to the extremely basic fighting in the Yakuza games. There is a depth here that I think most people who describe it as “button mashy” are missing out on.

If they can add an evade button and grapples, I think we could have something superior than 1 and 2 in the next installment (in the context of a non-pure 3D fighter where you face multiple opponents). As it stands, 3 is great, but still not as good overall. It has potential.

Maybe they can move the shortcut button to the right bumper/R1 and use the right trigger/R2 to enter a grapple stance, where the buttons could then trigger different input strings like the guard button currently does. I always found the grapples a little tricky to get right in the heat of battle, so using button inputs instead of directionals could mitigate that. Then we could use the left bumper as an evade/parry button. Or just make it so directional flicks in the guard stance do that instead of sidesteps or have it so you time the press to dodge. Idk.

Are you good with the slo-mo Matrix like evade system that kicks in when you lose life and are in the yellow? I never messed around with that because I felt it was too risky since you could die easily since your health is low lol, but I saw a guy make a vid on it and he kinda mastered it. Looked pretty sick. Makes me kinda wish it was a default ability you could use at full health but maybe that'd be too easy then..dunno.
Game needs throws yeah. They can only go up from here on out if there's another game

I like the combat, more than Shenmue 1 & 2 but for me there's a lack of visual feedback, because of animation of hitstun and somes hits wiff for no reason.

Same thing for the guard.

The more I fight and the more it feel like button mashing to me, I like directional inputs more.
How the inventory is made, which only show one move at time, don't help me remembering most of them.

I also don't like the camera much, especially against one opponent, it's often behind ryo and he hide the opponent a little too much to let me see him well enough.

The more I fight and the more it feel like button mashing to me, I like directional inputs more.
How the inventory is made, which only show one move at time, don't help me remembering most of them.

I also don't like the camera much, especially against one opponent, it's often behind ryo and he hide the opponent a little too much to let me see him well enough.

>The more I fight and the more it feel like button mashing to me, I like directional inputs more.
Maybe you need to increase the difficulty.

Are you good with the slo-mo Matrix like evade system that kicks in when you lose life and are in the yellow? I never messed around with that because I felt it was too risky since you could die easily since your health is low lol, but I saw a guy make a vid on it and he kinda mastered it. Looked pretty sick. Makes me kinda wish it was a default ability you could use at full health but maybe that'd be too easy then..dunno.
Game needs throws yeah. They can only go up from here on out if there's another game
Link me to the video. I heard about this but never actually triggered it.

Wow, I guess I never got to yellow. For the majority of fights I was either super OP or had sufficient snake powers. I’m gonna start a replay tonight so I’ll try to get the hang of this.

Wow, I guess I never got to yellow. For the majority of fights I was either super OP or had sufficient snake powers. I’m gonna start a replay tonight so I’ll try to get the hang of this.
Looks mega-cool. You have to press left left or right right twice. I wish we could use the directional pad for this instead of thumbnail..
Problem?
1) You can't block while doing it
2) If you miss evading which can happen if the enemy does a weird move you can't expect and the enemy is strong you will end up losing most of your health or fight.

>The more I fight and the more it feel like button mashing to me, I like directional inputs more.
Maybe you need to increase the difficulty.
In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't talk much about button mashing because I also did it on my current shenmue 1 longplay and will probably do it for most of my shenmue 2 longplay too. 😅

But still, thank to how moves can be seen from inventory and directionnal inputs, I know better what I do in shenmue 1 and shenmue 2 than in shenmue 3.

Last edited:
But still, thanks to how moves can be seen from the inventory and directional inputs, I know better what I do in Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 than in Shenmue 3.

Huh? You don't see this in Shenmue 1 or 2 in regular battles.
Unless you pause? Can't recall. But when you're busy fighting, all you see is your life bar

Huh? You don't see this in Shenmue 1 or 2 in regular battles.
Unless you pause? Can't recall. But when you're busy fighting, all you see is your life bar
Sure I don't mean during fight but from inventory, in shenmue 1 and 2 you can see more than one move name and instruction on screen at the same time, but in shenmue 3 you only see one scroll and its instruction.
lpshen_09_04.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Back