Shenmue 3 fight engine

I love this games combat and how training actually helps you get better and overcome battles. I always thought it was weird that I could just demolish anyone in S1&2 at any time if I played decently.

side note, people talking about swapping move decks with their triggers? I have multiple sets of moves but my triggers do nothing in battle. The only way for me to swap move “decks” is to go to the skill book editor and select it.

I love this games combat and how training actually helps you get better and overcome battles. I always thought it was weird that I could just demolish anyone in S1&2 at any time if I played decently.

side note, people talking about swapping move decks with their triggers? I have multiple sets of moves but my triggers do nothing in battle. The only way for me to swap move “decks” is to go to the skill book editor and select it.
I think that’s how it’s supposed to work if I’m not mistaken. You can cycle through moves but not decks.

Ohhhh ok. So switching the move just changes which one is auto? I just do them all manually so I guess it doesn’t matter.
Yeah, you swap with L/R1 on PS4. The move displayed is the one that will activate when you hit R2.

I always use manual inputs too, so I didn’t bother too much with setting up decks outside of training moves.

Haven't played it yet, the camera work looks sick tho.

Well Yu Suzuki hired Seichi Ishii to be his game designer for the original Virtua Figher.

Seichi then moved onto Namco to be its game designed for the original Tekken.

He then moved on to make his own company: Dream Factory, in which his first game, Tobal #1, was an evolved amalgamation of the ideas of Virtua Fighter and Tekken.
movement was 3D, grapples and throws were more advanced and had more advanced counters, low kick stun animation, etc
And this was continued in Tobal 2 with its just-frame attacks and Ehrgeiz with its 3D running movement.
Takara's Battle Arena Toshinden was often coined as the first fighting game with 3D movement (the dodge roll), but Tobal #1 was the first 3D traditional fighting game with true 3D movement.

Unless you count Virtua-On but that was more of a competitive 1 on 1 shooting / melee game so it wasnt exactly traditional.

Dream Factory's next fighting game was The Bouncer which was more of a beat em up (but had a versus mode), and then the last one they made was Kakuto Chogin for the original XBox, published by Microsoft, which got pulled off the shelves because they put a song track in there with a Muslim religious chant mixed in that offended the Muslim community and got them bad press and negative attention so Microsoft just pulled the game from stores.

They made a few other games after that (Fighting Beauty Wulong, Appleseed EX, and the historical period piece hack n slash Yoshitsune-Ki, which featured artwork by Death Note's Obada) for the PS2 but then they kinda vanished

Sure I don't mean during fight but from inventory, in shenmue 1 and 2 you can see more than one move name and instruction on screen at the same time, but in shenmue 3 you only see one scroll and its instruction.
lpshen_09_04.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

But thats a moot point since you cant see that in battle or sparring.
And in Shenmue 3, if you hit the R1 button (PS4) to bring up your inventory, and go under "Skill Books" as well as "Skill Book Editor", it will show you the move name, its description, its command instruction, and the animation of Ryo doing the move just as your linked Shenmue 1 pic does, so I don't understand your point. They both do the same thing.
And to add to that: in Shenmue 3, when you spar, your health gauge icon will show the animation of the move you can hotlink to your R2 button, not to mention it showing you the command moves after you've performed it.

But thats a moot point since you cant see that in battle or sparring.
And in Shenmue 3, if you hit the R1 button (PS4) to bring up your inventory, and go under "Skill Books" as well as "Skill Book Editor", it will show you the move name, its description, its command instruction, and the animation of Ryo doing the move just as your linked Shenmue 1 pic does, so I don't understand your point. They both do the same thing.
And to add to that: in Shenmue 3, when you spar, your health gauge icon will show the animation of the move you can hotlink to your R2 button, not to mention it showing you the command moves after you've performed it.
In shenmue 1 and 2 the "skill book" show the commands of a lot of others moves aside the one you highlight, so even if I don't know which move they do I know that their combinaison exist without the need to highlight them.
The "skill book editor" of shenmue 3 only show the command of the move selected, not really the same thing to me.
7zEe3f3.png

In shenmue 1 and 2 the "skill book" show the commands of a lot of others moves aside the one you highlight, so even if I don't know which move they do I know that their combinaison exist without the need to highlight them.
The "skill book editor" of shenmue 3 only show the command of the move selected, not really the same thing to me.
7zEe3f3.png

Thats hardly significant or a deal killer. Alls you gotta do is move the directional pad to the next move. I mean that sounds like some severe form of minor nitpicking now. The fact that you can see the button commands in real time in Shenmue 3's sparring along with a video preview of Ryo doing the move in the health bar bubble is way more useful imo

Thats hardly significant or a deal killer. Alls you gotta do is move the directional pad to the next move. I mean that sounds like some severe form of minor nitpicking now. The fact that you can see the button commands in real time in Shenmue 3's sparring along with a video preview of Ryo doing the move in the health bar bubble is way more useful imo
Not a killer but still a small deal to me, I guess my memory isn't what it used to be. 😟

Not a killer but still a small deal to me, I guess my memory isn't what it used to be. 😟

The way you described how you need every command description to be on the screen at once suggested to me you have a photographic memory though :unsure::ROFLMAO:

The way you described how you need every command description to be on the screen at once suggested to me you have a photographic memory though :unsure::ROFLMAO:
Yes probably, I'm not sure I will remember the first move of the list when I will be on its latest unfortunately.
This complain will probably go aways a little, the more I will fight and the more I will remember the imput needed for some moves.

Harada and Suzuki are good friends. There's actually an easter egg of sorts involving a certain fighter at the Rose Garden.

Rose Garden fighter

Hopefully we get Ryo or a VF character in a Tekken 7 DLC to return this little favor.
I know which is why I had taken this same picture and posted it before on Tekken boards and why as I mentioned before that I've contacted Harada several times requesting he put either Ryo from Shenmue or a VF character

I am considering changing the difficult settings. The big guy with red hair who you first face when you encounter the "thugs" just kicked my ass for the second time. I'm more on the side of the combat system being crappy than me being crap at the game.

I also remember how the original Shenmue games taught you move by explaining the body movement and you figure it out using the controller. Here, I have to input combo combinations to pull of a single move. Not a fan so far.

I am considering changing the difficult settings. The big guy with red hair who you first face when you encounter the "thugs" just kicked my ass for the second time. I'm more on the side of the combat system being crappy than me being crap at the game.

I also remember how the original Shenmue games taught you move by explaining the body movement and you figure it out using the controller. Here, I have to input combo combinations to pull of a single move. Not a fan so far.
I think you will get the hang of it but may find the fights to just be repetitive and un rewording

Have you been training up your moves and doing horse stance and one inch puch as you will likely find the fight engine isnt really based on any skill but rather how high your stats are if not high enough you will find you will struggling if high you should just knock em out easy

I'm digging the combat system so much even though I'm getting ass kicked pretty often while playing on the hardest difficulty setting. Here is me training and losing pretty quick, though I satisfyingly made the master look like a chump:

I am considering changing the difficult settings. The big guy with red hair who you first face when you encounter the "thugs" just kicked my ass for the second time.

He’s meant to kick your ass. There’s no way to beat him. Even if you are beating him.

and between this and your posts on the food for running system, it’s pretty clear you haven’t trained much or levelled up. Which you will need to do to progress. It will also make gameplay a lot more enjoyable.

I think you will get the hang of it but may find the fights to just be repetitive and un rewording

Have you been training up your moves and doing horse stance and one inch puch as you will likely find the fight engine isnt really based on any skill but rather how high your stats are if not high enough you will find you will struggling if high you should just knock em out easy

Its definitely a mix of both (RPG stats and skill). Learned this from maxing out my stats and fighting for 4 Shenmue days at the Rose Garden tournaments in Naiowu to amass the 500,000 tokens King of Gamblers trophy. At max mode, the fights towards the end of them (10,000 token bet finals for single, double and triple matches) werent easy like the intro fights where you bet 500 or 1000 tokens were, so you definitely had to rely on your skill and that means understanding your mobility and blocking while learning to use the most effective combinations.
And by max mode, I dont mean the difficulty setting, I mean my stats maxed out. For reference, I was playing on normal.

He’s meant to kick your ass. There’s no way to beat him. Even if you are beating him.

and between this and your posts on the food for running system, it’s pretty clear you haven’t trained much or levelled up. Which you will need to do to progress. It will also make gameplay a lot more enjoyable.
Level 6 attack, 10 endurance and Kung Fu 15. Struggling with the last guy in the Bailu Village Dojo and at the part of the game where its suggesting I finish up all I need to do. Is that level just too low? I'm being defeated in one combo. Also, what level is everyone else?

Level 6 attack, 10 endurance and Kung Fu 15. Struggling with the last guy in the Bailu Village Dojo and at the part of the game where its suggesting I finish up all I need to do. Is that level just too low? I'm being defeated in one combo. Also, what level is everyone else?

The last guy in the Dojo, as in White Tiger, or the main guy, Gold tiger? Gold tiger is very tough but given your level I would definitely get some move scrolls and up my attack and endurance a few levels at least. I'm in Kung Fu level 30, but was in the mid 20's I think when I defeated Gold Tiger. And even then he was tough.

The last guy in the Dojo, as in White Tiger, or the main guy, Gold tiger? Gold tiger is very tough but given your level I would definitely get some move scrolls and up my attack and endurance a few levels at least. I'm in Kung Fu level 30, but was in the mid 20's I think when I defeated Gold Tiger. And even then he was tough.
Gold Tiger. Did you get to that level before moving on from Bailu?

Back