Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

As expected, the environments look great, but the character models just don't cut it. Sure, there's still time for improvements, but I don't think outsourcing that work (especially to India of all places) was a good idea, regardless of how much money it saved them. That Lan Di isn't anywhere near as menacing as the original was.
dc_121-41286984252.jpg

I hate to be that constantly negative guy especially when talking about my favorite series, but this trailer was a pretty big let down. We've gone pretty much an entire year without seeing the game and really nothing has changed, nor were we shown anything new besides seeing Lan Di and Ren. 2/3rds of the trailer was just different angles of a boat. The rest was shots of the cave we've already seen. The facial animation is still bad, character faces don't look right, awkward stiff animation. Hell Id say the embarrassing trailer from last year was better because it at least showed more.

We really gained nothing from this and for me personally this just hurt my faith in the project even more simply because nothing has changed in the year timespan. I expected improvements and I sure as hell expected to see some gameplay. We got neither.

The music was nice though and the environments still look good visually.

^ uh, the trailer isn't as far along as I'd have liked but a lot has clearly changed in a year. Go back and watch last years trailer again.

^ uh, the trailer isn't as far along as I'd have liked but a lot has clearly changed in a year. Go back and watch last years trailer again.
The only thing thats changed is Ryo and Shenhua's character models.

So I've seen the trailer like many.

A little underwhelmed with the content If I'm honest, it was only a minutes work of footage really and I would have liked more. I was hoping for more action set pieces, especially after having that screenshot of the in-game battle within the warehouse. It kind of feels we had more within the previous trailer really.

I think the biggest concern is that they announced the release date - On it's one that is a triumph :) But in regards to relation with this trailer I just would have expected more from a trailer of a game which is only a year off. How does everyone else feel about that? I mean we're within less than a year and i jsut think this trailer showed so little.

I agree if this is an accurate depiction of the game’s current state we should begin to worry if they want to release the game in one year’s time. I feel like this is footage from a game that still has two years of development left. I’ve been pretty positive since the beginning but this really worries me.

Amazing trailer. The graphics game looks nice. I am surprised that they showed Lan Di. But unfortunately he looks strange. In DC version he looked like a cold, ruthless man, these trait cannot be seen on the trailer.

The most important thing is that we finally got to know the release date!

I hate to be that constantly negative guy especially when talking about my favorite series, but this trailer was a pretty big let down. We've gone pretty much an entire year without seeing the game and really nothing has changed, nor were we shown anything new besides seeing Lan Di and Ren. 2/3rds of the trailer was just different angles of a boat. The rest was shots of the cave we've already seen. The facial animation is still bad, character faces don't look right, awkward stiff animation. Hell Id say the embarrassing trailer from last year was better because it at least showed more.

We really gained nothing from this and for me personally this just hurt my faith in the project even more simply because nothing has changed in the year timespan. I expected improvements and I sure as hell expected to see some gameplay. We got neither.

The music was nice though and the environments still look good visually.

Nope, you're not alone. The trailer did hurt my heart too and lead me to rethink what I should expect from Shenmue 3 in its definitive form. This morning, I couldn't prevent myself from feeling a bit depressed after watching the trailer: Shenhua is so different from the one we met in Shenmue 2 like if it was another person, the music sounded so fake (unpopular opinion, fortunately it turns out to be a placeholder) and the character design is probably definitive for most of them.

I knew I have to keep my expectations realistic and low but that's what I felt. Anyway, as long as Yu Suzuki is leading the project, I'm still awaiting this game with passion. Can't wait to discover all the ideas of game design Yu & his team had in mind for the game of his life. All my hopes are concentrated in this man.

I agree if this is an accurate depiction of the game’s current state we should begin to worry if they want to release the game in one year’s time. I feel like this is footage from a game that still has two years of development left. I’ve been pretty positive since the beginning but this really worries me.
I can understand how you feel, but I think this comes down to agile vs. waterfall. Unlike most game devs, Yu is using the agile methedology, which means that all the fine tuning and polishing will be done right at the very end of the dev cycle.

Watching the "fight" with the old man, I wonder if he's an ally who is teaching Ryo some new technique. It doesn't really seem like a battle, and I don't think Ren would just stand idly by if Ryo was in a dangerous fight. Also, it's possible that this meeting between Lan Di and Ryo is a dream... although I do expect they'll meet for real in III.

I wonder if Yu Suzuki is out of the loop in terms of current game tech and facial animation software. He hasn’t made a game in years and of course he doesn’t play games, so perhaps that it why Shenmue 3 is looking so outdated in terms of facial animation. Had he played games like Until Dawn and Detroit: Become Human, perhaps he would reassess his own ideas.

I wonder if Yu Suzuki is out of the loop in terms of current game tech and facial animation software. He hasn’t made a game in years and of course he doesn’t play games, so perhaps that it why Shenmue 3 is looking so outdated in terms of facial animation. Had he played games like Until Dawn and Detroit: Become Human, perhaps he would reassess his own ideas.

Really? You realize this is a crowdfunded game right? Until Dawn and Detroit each had about a 40 to 50 million budget. You really think Deep Silver is going to plop 20 to 30 million more to Shenmue 3? I get that the development in relation to the current gen is deflating considering Shenmue I and II had AAA budget back in it's day, but these comparisons are getting ridiculous.

When you guys compare this stuff at least compare it to something that's more realistic to the budget like Friday the 13th or something.

Last edited:
As expected, the environments look great, but the character models just don't cut it. Sure, there's still time for improvements, but I don't think outsourcing that work (especially to India of all places) was a good idea, regardless of how much money it saved them. That Lan Di isn't anywhere near as menacing as the original was.

the hell is India "of all places"

?

What disappoints me is not the trailer but rather many fans' exceedingly high expectations. Shenmue's story released as a small book would have made any Shenmue fan ecstatic prior to the announcement of Shenmue III. Let us be thankful for what we are getting and that we are getting it at all.

The quality shown by this trailer is actually quite good. It will be such fun to play through a new Shenmue game even if it doesnt fit every single one of our expectations.

I think I read an interview where he acknowledged Horizon or something like it. He might not play games, but he doesn't live in a cave (hehe).

Really? You realize this is a crowdfunded game right? Until Dawn and Detroit each had about a 40 to 50 million budget. You really think Deep Silver is going to plop 20 to 30 million more to Shenmue 3? I get that the development in relation to the current gen is deflating considering Shenmue I and II had AAA budget back in it's day, but these comparisons are getting ridiculous.

When you guys compare this stuff at least compare it to something that's more realistic to the budget like Friday the 13th or something.

There is a lot of inexpensive facial scan software out there. Recall that HellBlade had a budget far below $10 million and yet the facial animations were very impressive. Ninja Blade used a company called Cubic Motion to do the facial recognition.

If anyone can get a message out to Yu or Cedric:
https://www.cubicmotion.com/

Back