Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

Unreal Engine is great for environments. I’m sure noconkid is doing an awesome job in developing them. I really don’t give a shit about the faces. I’m not a style over substance guy so I just want a quality story that’s fun to play and expressions are just very low in my priority.

I’m hoping for a trailer where we see Niao Sun ASAP. She’s been hyped since the original game and I feel we are long overdue for a taste of what she has in stored for the story.

Does anyone know if the trailer is promoted on Sony's YouTube channel? The last one was and it had plenty of views. This trailer is better, it should get the publicity from sony.

Does anyone know if the trailer is promoted on Sony's YouTube channel? The last one was and it had plenty of views. This trailer is better, it should get the publicity from sony.

For some weird reason this one hasn't been, which is a bit weird. I would have thought this trailer would have kicked off more hype than it has too. Neither uploads on either Deep Silver's or the Official Shenmue 3's channels have a great deal of views.

I've watched this trailer over a dozen times now and I'm so hyped. I feel like I'm watching a different trailer to those who are disappointed. Everything about this trailer feels amazing and like a true continuation of the saga within a modern era.

For some weird reason this one hasn't been, which is a bit weird. I would have thought this trailer would have kicked off more hype than it has too. Neither uploads on either Deep Silver's or the Official Shenmue 3's channels have a great deal of views.

I've watched this trailer over a dozen times now and I'm so hyped. I feel like I'm watching a different trailer to those who are disappointed. Everything about this trailer feels amazing and like a true continuation of the saga within a modern era.
Might have something to do with the slacker backer campaign that is still going on. It's not up for preorder yet and Sony/Deep Silver get nothing from increased slacker backer funds. I think once that's over then the marketing begins

This might sound ridiculous but someone here ripped the music and when they tried to upload it to YouTube discovered it was automatically flagged with some kind of copyright protection. Could it be a case of waiting for that to clear on other channels?

Shenhua is so different from the one we met in Shenmue 2 like if it was another person, the music sounded so fake

THIS. The graphics on the whole do look good but it just doesn´t ´feel´ like shenmue,the characters have a sort of anime style to them which is a far cry from the gritty realism of the originals.

If Yu is reading these fourms then please know the general consensus is the shenmue community is not happy with the current state of the main characters so please address our fears!

That's more a criticism of the story itself rather than the trailer.

The scene lacks a lot of context. Who knows why they're in that room or what the situation is? There are so many different ways for the story to arrive at that scenario so I don't think it's fair to judge the encounter based on a few seconds of it from the trailer.

If you notice, it looks like they're meeting in the same room that Ryo and that old dude are fighting/sparring (the one with Ren in the background). I'm thinking that maybe this was just a teaser and that scene isn't actually in the game.

THIS. The graphics on the whole do look good but it just doesn´t ´feel´ like shenmue,the characters have a sort of anime style to them which is a far cry from the gritty realism of the originals.

If Yu is reading these fourms then please know the general consensus is the shenmue community is not happy with the current state of the main characters so please address our fears!

Speak for yourself, as this trailer overall gave me the same feeling of awe I had when I saw Shenmue I in action for the very first time all those years ago!

Edited: And even if I hated it, I'd never want to mess with a game designer's artistic direction as if this was some random fandom idealized game.

Last edited:
If you notice, it looks like they're meeting in the same room that Ryo and that old dude are fighting/sparring (the one with Ren in the background). I'm thinking that maybe this was just a teaser and that scene isn't actually in the game.

Yeah, I was thinking this as well. It's an easy enough swap to do, and I doubt we'll be facing off with Lan Di until we get to Baisha (that room looks like it's in Choubu). They do these fakeouts in movie trailers all the time to avoid spoilers :)

The trailer is lovely! I think the character models look wonderful. I am so excited, it feels that little bit more really real now. It all looks so authentically Shenmue.

That face off with Lan Di. Oh my word. I have no words to explain how that made me feel.

<3

I'm not sure what is going on with the facial animation side of the development, but with this trailer it's sincerely the first time I thought to myself: "Wow, this looks like a game I want to dive into."
When Yu Suzuki first mentioned picking Unreal 4 because he could capture the Shenmue colour and smell, it bothered me a lot to this day as I wondered what is he on about? All I could see on the previous trailers were Chinese backdrops with oversaturated colours and lots of lens flare.
Maybe it's just me hearing Shenhua's voice for the first time together with the now more natural body movement of the models and the better put together trailer, but this game just screams magical to me. The colours just pop with the right balance of shadows in the scenes, now somehow it all connects for me. And finally I'm starting to get the sense of that Shenmue smell Yu was on about.

yeah, new engine and tech 15+ years on HOW ISN'T THE SAME EXACT AS DREAMCAST ZOMG

Fools. The ones who think they are the general Shenmue community pissing and moaning; you're not, you're lumped in with the casual fans and click bait journalists. Most Shenmue fans are humble and very appreciative of anything and everything. Besides, this is trailer isn't bad, it is legitimately good looking and exciting.

Last edited:

The general consensus? No offence, but you don't speak for me, I love the trailer and love the art style.

It feels very 'shenmue' to me.

it just doesn´t ´feel´ like shenmue.
I think the opposite, I'm not blind to things like the static facial animations or the frame rate dropping during the opening boat scene but the overall "feel" is very Shenmue to me.

a far cry from the gritty realism of the originals.
I've seen words like "realistic" used a few times when people are discussing the original games and I'm not sure if it's me being overly pedantic or not but the old games didn't have realistic graphics.

(I am working on the basis that you are specifically concerned with the character models and not the environments but please let me know if that's not correct.)

I think the there are Three main reasons that some people regard the original graphics as realistic.

The first is that Shenmue had more realistic graphics than other popular console games at the time, it's especially easy to get trapped in this way of thinking if you started playing the games around the time of release.

Now I'll concede that this is a bit of a cheap comparison but consider that this was a popular game released within a year or so of Shenmue.

foSKoFH.png

Obviously there were PC games (Half Life comes to mind) and console games that employed clever art styles (to hide architectural shortcomings) from that time which objectively look better than Silent Hill but you get the idea, the leap is quality was mind blowing for some people.

The second reason is a little more tricky to explain but essentially it comes down to the original games not going for a completely realistic art style but actually being reasonably consistent with what they presented overall. This isn't to say that the texture quality is fully democratic by a long shot, Ryo's jacket does look better than the sweater worn by a random Doubita shopper for example but there isn't the huge disparity that you will see in other games from that time, the asset "resource budgeting" of Shenmue is arguably better than its actual budget. :p

The third reason is that despite what some people might be writing in reviews the graphics hold up pretty well, not compared to modern titles but considering they are nearly 20 years old. In my opinion "realistic" graphics tend to age the worst. I don't know if you're familiar with MMORPGs but Blizzard really understood this, World of Warcraft had a very "cartoonish" art style which some criticised at the time but go look at its contemporaries such as Everquest now and see what you think aged better.

I would happily burn all of my games just to have this version of Shenmue 3. It's friggin beautiful.

Back