Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

Let me ask everyone a question. If the facial animations stay the same rate of quality on the final product, will this deter from your experience when playing?

I realize I'll sound like an apologist, but since I know this was a crowdfunded game, as long as the gameplay is good or comparable to S1 and S2, at worst the facial animations will be a slight distraction however it won't be a deal breaker for me.

No, it won't deter me because it's an indie game for fuck sake. I don't expect Yakuza 6 levels of facial animations. Heck, it already looks better than a lot of current games. Would I welcome better facial animations? Hell yes! But I'm not going to demand them.

Let me ask everyone a question. If the facial animations stay the same rate of quality on the final product, will this deter from your experience when playing?

I realize I'll sound like an apologist, but since I know this was a crowdfunded game, as long as the gameplay is good or comparable to S1 and S2, at worst the facial animations will be a slight distraction however it won't be a deal breaker for me.

Given the money and resources, no, I want this game so bad that it doesn't even need to be 'good'. It just needs to be playable from start to finish. After 16 years, I care much less about playing lucky hit and OutRun again and much more about progressing the story as much as possible.

Best trailer they've released thus far with the first "Oh my God" moment of anything they've released with the reveal of Lan Di. Environments look stunning and beautiful and as with previous media look superior to the character models, though I'm seeing improvement and iteration everywhere here. Everything looks improved and better. It was so pleasing and joyous to also see a release date after such long stretches where we were literally analysing the hell out of the slightest sporadic mention of the game from Yu Suzuki - and now we have the remasters and Shenmue 3. It feels dreamlike and unreal - but it's happening.

Beyond excellent timing for this to be on the same day as the remasters. Perfect synergy right there.

EDIT: This is my first post on the Dojo in years and I highly doubt any here will remember me - but I'm the guy that started the Shenmue 3 petition in 2003 or so. It hit 70K signatures and Yu Suzuki even mentioned it once in an interview!

Last edited:
Honestly, the animations and facial expressions look a million times better than last year. I honestly think the game looks gorgeous and the mixed response has got me questioning whether my eyesight is going or if I'm blinded by fanboyism.

I love the art direction, Shenhua looks great and even Ryo and Lan Di look decent to me. They don't have to look identical, because it has been 17 years. I'm a big comic book fan, so character models and art direction changing or evolving slightly is not a big deal to me.

Am I deluded? I thought the character models and rigid choreography looked poor last year, but these new ones look really good to me.

I feel like people hold Shenmue 3 to a higher standard than other games and I don't get it. It doesn't compare to the likes of Uncharted or The Last of Us, but it's certainly just as pretty as most other mid-high tier games.

Given the money and resources, no, I want this game so bad that it doesn't even need to be 'good'. It just needs to be playable from start to finish. After 16 years, I care much less about playing lucky hit and OutRun again and much more about progressing the story as much as possible.
What on earth would be the point of waiting for 16 years if we're then presented with a bad game?
Facial expressions for a modern game shouldn't be a luxury or a "nice to have" item- if they can do it in 1999 then they can do it now. I would be rather disappointed if Ryo continues to look as dead-eyed as he does now throughout the entirety of Shenmue 3.

Wow! It's looking and sounding pretty great!
That release date is pretty near too; one year from now!

Edit: Come to think of it, the announcement was actually pretty brilliant: perfect timing with today's Shenmue HD releases.
Some serious Lan Di strategic thinking there.

Oh lawd. That Music...Man Suzuki knows how to pick his songs. Sure the game is nitpicked to hell in everything else but everyone only mention praises when it comes to the soundtracks. Its exquisite taste sure made the trailer really unique.(y)

What on earth would be the point of waiting for 16 years if we're then presented with a bad game?
Facial expressions for a modern game shouldn't be a luxury or a "nice to have" item- if they can do it in 1999 then they can do it now. I would be rather disappointed if Ryo continues to look as dead-eyed as he does now throughout the entirety of Shenmue 3.

Oh, I definitely agree with you. Facial animations are not a luxury item and should absolutely be expected by the time it releases (and be shown in videos/trailers well before then). However, the idea that we're ever going to get the AAA Shenmue III that we deserved in 2003, that ship has sailed, IMO.

To be completey honest (and I’m not trying to be a pessimist or a troll) but the latest Shenmue 3 trailer leaves a lot to be desired. The game currently looks more like one of those odd point and click adventure games like Syberia or The Longest Journey than a polished action adventure like game like Yakuza or even the former Shenmue games.

Shenmue 3 needs a lot of work and perhaps Deep Silver is too inexperienced to realize the current lack of manpower and funding to bring this game up to a solid AA level. Anyhow, I expect another trailer at E3 2019 followed by a delay until Christmas.

For anyone who already wants a full listen to the orchestra music at the end of the trailer, this is what plays in there.

Interesting story how I got that. I got a copyright claim on the music in the trailer very shortly after uploading it myself to spread its greatnes. Details lead to this, Jibby helped in finding that video though. I just find it very noteworthy that this isn't music from the game apparently. It sounds sooo Shenmue, it's no wonder they used this and nobody suspected anything. Except for those nasty algorythms of course.

Man you made my day. :eek: The music totally ruined the Shenmue vibes to me. I'm so GLAD to know that it was just a placeholder.

Well this just made my day! And I get to enjoy Shenmue 1+2 when I get home tonight as well! It's a Shenmue double whammy!

I actually would have enjoyed the Shenmue theme being used in the trailer...I am hoping they're allowed to use it...

Shenmue 3 needs a lot of work and perhaps Deep Silver is too inexperienced to realize the current lack of manpower and funding to bring this game up to a solid AA level. Anyhow, I expect another trailer at E3 2019 followed by a delay until Christmas.

well without Deep Silver we would get a way way way smaller game with probably way less budget
and no professional worldwide publishing. Ys Net is not a company that can happily choose between top notch publishers.
so now we are already in a better situation than at the announcement of the Kickstarter project.
who would help on this worldwide professional level if Deep Silver would have said no?
Sega wouldnt do it, Sony wouldnt do it. this is how good it gets, there is no other choice.

Back