Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

Mixed feelings. The environments look amazing but the character models still don’t look right. I would have thought that given Ryo’s is on screen for pretty much the entire game they might have put a bit more time into it.

yeah, new engine and tech 15+ years on HOW ISN'T THE SAME EXACT AS DREAMCAST ZOMG

Fools. The ones who think they are the general Shenmue community pissing and moaning; you're not, you're lumped in with the casual fans and click bait journalists. Most Shenmue fans are humble and very appreciative of anything and everything. Besides, this is trailer isn't bad, it is legitimately good looking and exciting.

I agree. Some People tend to forget what video game graphics are. They change with the times. If you use a new engine it is impossible to expect that everything looks like the old engine. It looks enough to the originals for me. the art style is perfect. Looks like a next Gen Shenmue. Could not get any better.

But I have to admit I am bit a biased. I am new fan, since early 2018. Back in 2000 I heard about Shenmue but never played it. So i was spared with the hype back then. In 2018 Shenmue stills looks great for my taste but I did not consider it that impressive.

So I had Zero expactations to the graphics of Shenmue 3. It looks better than I hopped for. You have to consider it is a Kickstarter Game not a AAA title.

Maybe my point of view view would be different if I had been a fan since 2000. Back then Shenmue was amazing for sure in the console realm.

But Shenmue 3 won't have the same impact on the gaming world as the first Shenmue had. They do not have the budget to achieve that. Developing a new engine and do things then now other console game has done before.

Shenmue 3 will be a great game but it won't be the Game changer than the original was.

That might hurt some fans of the first hour but we have to be realistic and have our fun with the game even if it won't be as groundbreaking as the first one.

Best thing was the music and Ryo walking up to Lan Di. It was perfect in a way. I seriously just love the look on their faces, it was everything I hoped it would be. Shenhua looks great, they don't need to do anymore work on her. Ryo and Lan Di look good but as there's still over a year to go, there could be improvements with them. I guess we'll see but I'm fine with how they look.

The music was stuck in my head at work today.

After seeing the trailer again, I just look at it and think what did we really learn from it? I genuinely don't feel it has much to hint at or offer. I'm also hoping the meeting with Lan Di will be more dramatic than that - I envision Ryo in his Green Martial Arts Outfit seen in the concept art when (if...)they actually dual. i want Ryo to grow and be ready to take him on. I might even do a few Sketches later.

Notice Ryo’s eyes. What the hell is he looking at?

Someone please get a message out to Cedric or Yu! They have to fix this. The characters are soulless as it currently stands.

And I’m not trying to troll here. I’ve waited just as long as the rest of you and this game has crossed my mind over those years more times than I can count.

They need to address this issue.

They're not going to release a game where the characters don't have facial expressions. It's still under development.

I've watched it again and the characters, Including movement, expressions and eyes look fine. Admittedly they're not perfect yet, but they're more than serviceable.

To be honest, I hope they keep the game in this state and release it like this just to piss off the negative whingers.

The hyperbole is ridiculous.

This game still has a year left on the table to work on. I don't have much worry about the character models and facial expressions.

Games typically look radically different in a year. This already looks far better than the original trailer they first released over a year ago.

Let's see what we get in the next few months heading into the new year; I fully expect something by Christmas to be honest.

Also..about the Lan Di scene? Sometimes there are scenes in trailers that either aren't in the game or occur differently, they are just meant to help discussion I think.

Just wanted to say hi on the new forum. Very shinny!

@OnTopic - I watched the trailer yesterday and was pleasently suprised. Vividly i remember my initial sceptic reaction from seeing the last one. Nothing like that at all... Its just very wonderfully made, indeed! The overall mystery and arc is there. It literally gave me goosebumps.

After all these years there are still some gaming products with a heartfelt vibe to it. Shenmue is just that. Heartfelt! I remember back in the day when the first one got out that it was a glimpse into the future. The graphics and the open-world etc. But after the first hours of playing and further down the road after time past by it grew into something much bigger. The most critics in the past and now (HD Rerelease) find this odd but its the very essence of Shenmue -> The pacing.

The meditative style of exploring and breathing in the feeling of how it would have been, if you were a teenager in the 80s in Japan at the beginning of a unfolding path of adventure.

The new trailer somehow gave me a feeling of this continuum. After so many years it just captured this feeling of awe, like no time has passed.

Personally i dont want anything other than that. Realistic graphic Style- Not really... Jawdropping visuals in State of the Art... Would be nice to have, but doesn't make sense when there is no magic to it .... etc etc.

If the final game captures that specific feeling. (A small example, leaving the residence for the first time and the dog is barking outside with the free soundtrack going ... and thinking ... wow ... where is this road taking me) than everything else is secondary.

Nice day to all of you

Last edited:
I wonder when we will see gameplay... if there is anything disappointing about the trailer, it's the short length and still the lack of gameplay. I have a feeling we might have to wait until E3 for some kind of gameplay trailer or demonstration. Then demo released to backers and press within the same week.

I suspect there's a high chance the game will suffer one more minor delay too, but we will see.

Notice Ryo’s eyes. What the hell is he looking at?

Someone please get a message out to Cedric or Yu! They have to fix this. The characters are soulless as it currently stands.

And I’m not trying to troll here. I’ve waited just as long as the rest of you and this game has crossed my mind over those years more times than I can count.

They need to address this issue.

I think proper facial animations are usually among the last few things to be added in a game's development, and this game still has a year left before release.

Not to sound antagonistic, but I really don't think a veteran of the gaming industry who dreamed up this very franchise needs to be emailed (yet again!) to ensure he knows what he's doing. Sorry, but that just comes across as a bit too self-entitled, disrespectful and all kinds of cringe, though you likely don't mean to appear that way.

Suzuki clearly wants to make this game just the way he wants it, as demonstrated by him keeping the new logo despite the fan preference for the old one. Just relax and let the man develop his game in peace. If after everything come release you still hate how it looks, well, at least its purely his artistic vision which he finally got to fulfill and you can always mod it later. I would rather have that than another person's Shenmue 3.

By the way, I swear if anyone on this forum ever declares in future 'graphics don't make a good game' I will collapse a lung in laughter.

Can anybody tell me what soulless video game characters are and what video game characters have a soul? As mentioned in a previous post I am not that much into video games. And I have never played them paying lots of attentions to the soul of the game characters. So maybe I missed a point. But cannot think of any modern game that is that impressive in displaying human like behavior that put any other current gen game to shame. Besides the Ray traying Demo of the GDC 2018 of course.
But the gdc demo does not count. Such game are not out yet.

Anyway the game is still work in progress . It will improve for sure.

Sorry the maybe embarrassing question for gamer playing video games since the early 90s, but the term soulless video game characters really beats me. Reading that quite often in comments in the Internet. And I never get what they mean...

Last edited:
I think proper facial animations are usually among the last few things to be added in a game's development, and this game still has a year left before release.

Not to sound antagonistic, but I really don't think a veteran of the gaming industry who dreamed up this very franchise needs to be emailed (yet again!) to ensure he knows what he's doing. Sorry, but that just comes across as a bit too self-entitled, disrespectful and all kinds of cringe, though you likely don't mean to appear that way.

Suzuki clearly wants to make this game just the way he wants it, as demonstrated by him keeping the new logo despite the fan preference for the old one. Just relax and let the man develop his game in peace. If after everything come release you still hate how it looks, well, at least its purely his artistic vision which he finally got to fulfill and you can always mod it later. I would rather have that than another person's Shenmue 3.

By the way, I swear if anyone on this forum ever declares in future 'graphics don't make a good game' I will collapse a lung in laughter.

But graphics don't make a good game...

At this point I should just accept that characters aren't gonna look like how I imagined them.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the sort of natural progression that I was expecting, but it's not the same people working on the game for a decade. AM2 doesn't seem to have anything to do with Shenmue III. I'm not sure if Unreal 4 was the best idea to begin with, seeing as the Yakuza engine would have probably been much better for this sort of game, but that entails SEGA allowing outside people to work with their technology, which isn't gonna happen.

It's fine. I'm just happy it's getting made.

Here are a couple of comparison images a quick Google search turned up:

I'm sure I could find more, but as you can see, games that are closer to final builds have much more detail in both backgrounds, color and facial details. Yes, these are AAA games but the point remains the same.

I assure you that what you see now for Shenmue III is nowhere indicative of the final product when it is over a year away(possibly a bit more, as there was no assurance that date is definitively final).

Attachments

• mqdefault.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 33
  • days-gone-2016-vs-2018-graphics-comparison-video.jpg
    days-gone-2016-vs-2018-graphics-comparison-video.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 34
Back