Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we also don't know anything about the Epic deal...total sales, number of sales from the deal compared to new sales, whatever.

Don't forget Epic. Not everybody have a PS4.

It was #3 behind Borderlands and I dont remember what other AAA game. That means sold better than the little games of the store. Those are good news, because it means that at least sold a decent amount, not something like "3.6k copies".

But their top isn't refreshed often and considering how old some games are there despite any sales, you can bet it's easy to break in that top despite low sale numbers.

But their top isn't refreshed often and considering how old some games are there despite any sales, you can bet it's easy to break in that top despite low sale numbers.

Don't forget Epic. Not everybody have a PS4.

It was #3 behind Borderlands and I dont remember what other AAA game. That means sold better than the little games of the store. Those are good news, because it means that at least sold a decent amount, not something like "3.6k copies".

But the Epic deal means unless they sell more than what was pre-funded, those sales basically amount to $0 of additional profit and would also possibly lessen Epic's interest in another installment.
YSNet likely got more from the Epic deal than they would have from PC sales and in many ways it could work in their favor due to anti-Epic gamers picking the game up on Steam to express their distain for exclusivity deals.

Epic were always unlikely to be interested in an exclusivity deal for Shenmue 4 as their aim was to bring gamers over to their platform from Steam. Perhaps if the game had sold amazingly, it might have made financial sense for them to pursue further exclusivity deals, but I doubt they ever saw Shenmue 3 as a game that was going to make them money directly.

The sooner Shenmue gets released on other platforms, especially Steam, the better. Then, we can have a real discussion on what it's sales numbers mean. It won't ever push huge numbers, mainly due to the quality of the game itself more than anything (it's an a over-ambitious budget title and it shows). However, if you think being available on Steam isn't going to make a difference, then I don't know what to tell you.

Having said that, I still have serious doubts of the viability of a Shenmue 4.

The sooner Shenmue gets released on other platforms, especially Steam, the better. Then, we can have a real discussion on what it's sales numbers mean. It won't ever push huge numbers, mainly due to the quality of the game itself more than anything (it's an a over-ambitious budget title and it shows). However, if you think being available on Steam isn't going to make a difference, then I don't know what to tell you.

Having said that, I still have serious doubts of the viability of a Shenmue 4.
Being available on Steam will absolutely make a difference, but having been available on Steam from launch would likely have yielded fewer overall sales.

Assuming the exclusivity deal is for 100,000 copies and there are an additional 50,000 sales on Steam when it launches in November, we’re looking at about 150,000 PC sales.

If the game had launched on Steam without the exclusivity deal, I doubt it would have broken 100,000 sales (based on sales of Shenmue 1 and 2, which, on console at least, sold better than Shenmue 3).

Although an unpopular decision with some of the fan base, from a financial perspective, the Epic deal made a lot of sense. It will probably end up leading to them making more than twice as much through PC sales than they would otherwise have made.

Being available on Steam will absolutely make a difference, but having been available on Steam from launch would likely have yielded fewer overall sales.

Assuming the exclusivity deal is for 100,000 copies and there are an additional 50,000 sales on Steam when it launches in November, we’re looking at about 150,000 PC sales.

If the game had launched on Steam without the exclusivity deal, I doubt it would have broken 100,000 sales (based on sales of Shenmue 1 and 2, which, on console at least, sold better than Shenmue 3).

Although an unpopular decision with some of the fan base, from a financial perspective, the Epic deal made a lot of sense. It will probably end up leading to them making more than twice as much through PC sales than they would otherwise have made.

50000 sales sounds really generous.
It wont get that many.
It might be lucky to sell 10k copies.

Delayed launch are tricky. Launch day abd date means your game enjoy sales from hype and novelty. Delay works only if your game benefited a strong word of mouth or critical reception.

Shenmue III benefited from none of that. The game wasn't getting a lot of press before launch, it's getting nearly none today. By the time it launch in November, it'll just be forgotten... Well unless Deep Silver announce that backers wont get a Steam key at all, which I expect to happen.

50000 sales sounds really generous.
It wont get that many.
It might be lucky to sell 10k copies.

Delayed launch are tricky. Launch day abd date means your game enjoy sales from hype and novelty. Delay works only if your game benefited a strong word of mouth or critical reception.

Shenmue III benefited from none of that. The game wasn't getting a lot of press before launch, it's getting nearly none today. By the time it launch in November, it'll just be forgotten... Well unless Deep Silver announce that backers wont get a Steam key at all, which I expect to happen.
Yes. I was being optimistic to point out that in all likelihood, even a successful Steam release in November would lead to lower overall sales than if the game had launched on Steam straight away.

That said, Metro Exodus performed amazingly well in spite of its delayed launch (200,000+ copies in its first week), but as you point out, the game’s reception was much better than Shenmue 3’s, not to mention it having significantly wider appeal to casual gamers.

I think Shenmue III on Steam will sell 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 copies. Meanwhile, Epic only gave it one sale. The copy I bought.

Means about as much as the other in guesses in here, @GhostTrick.
Wait... FUCK Epic cancelled my Shenmue 3 sale... Guess there really is just one sale.

Did you hear the announcement epic game made they are now publisher and they are looking for studio to be partner with them they cover every developement fee even marketing fee we can only hope shenmue 3 sell well enough for epic game to take ys net as their partner

Here it is:

The fact that they don't want the dev's IP is a big deal, because very few publishers will be interested in fully funding a Shenmue game while SEGA owns (and profits) from it.

Deep Silver were willing because they only part-funded the game, and possibly because of their existing relationship with SEGA.

Ultimately I don't think Shenmue's ever going to be a big money-maker, and if Deep Silver don't want to go another round, someone like Epic, who are so willing to pump money into developers without much (guaranteed) return, could be one of the few options left.

Here it is:

The fact that they don't want the dev's IP is a big deal, because very few publishers will be interested in fully funding a Shenmue game while SEGA owns (and profits) from it.

Deep Silver were willing because they only part-funded the game, and possibly because of their existing relationship with SEGA.

Ultimately I don't think Shenmue's ever going to be a big money-maker, and if Deep Silver don't want to go another round, someone like Epic, who are so willing to pump money into developers without much (guaranteed) return, could be one of the few options left.
While it would piss off a small minority this could certainly be a viable option given this is just about to get off the ground. If they pumped in decent funds then it could make all the difference.

I'm interested in this as a whole as Epic are throwing money at everything.

The question is would they go for Shenmue if the sales numbers were low on their store for Shenmue III?

The question is would they go for Shenmue if the sales numbers were low on their store for Shenmue III?
If the total sales across PS4 and PC aren't abysmal then maybe, as this is a multi-platform venture. Of course they care about boosting users/sales on their store, but I still think publishing Shenmue IV would buy them credibility and positive PR, in a way that not many games can, because of the cult fanbase, the legacy, Yu Suzuki etc.

If the total sales across PS4 and PC aren't abysmal then maybe, as this is a multi-platform venture. Of course they care about boosting users/sales on their store, but I still think publishing Shenmue IV would buy them credibility and positive PR, in a way that not many games can, because of the cult fanbase, the legacy, Yu Suzuki etc.
Well positively it met expectations so it could well be something viable then.

I agree with the good PR. If they throw a good sum of money at it and correct the issues in the 3rd game they could well be onto a winner on that front. If course this is just me getting excited but if I was YSNET I'd be exploring this Avenue for sure.

Here it is:

genDesign!!!! If they're open to publishing an even more niche series as Ico, plus history with Shenmue 3, I'm optimistic they could be an option. We shall see!

You people are talking about sales but there's also something different:
With that publishing initiative, Epic seems to be pursuing studios with a pedigree. And while Yu Suzuki might have renown, neither YsNet nor Shenmue III does. In fact, Shenmue III didn't garner a critical success.

That + low sales means low chance of that happening.

And while Epic doesn't seem to be in search of owning IPs, let's remember that SEGA owns the IP, which means they'd need to pay for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back