Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital and DLC may save the day. It was charting pretty good on Amazon and Best Buy for a few days. Amazon being out of stock for a while hurt it. But that could have pushed some to digital.

I do agree that marketing hurt the game. But at this point it’s whatever.

It’s not over. I think Yu, Deep Silver, et al have a contingency plan. We have to take Yu at his promise to not stop as long as there are fans.

No reason to go full Chicken Little yet.

Black Friday at Best Buy in America is going to produce huge anomalies in sales charts. There are SO many heavily discounted games that people jump on for holiday gifts. I think a more telling finding is that it's charting right next to Star Wars and above Death Stranding and Outer Worlds, all recently released games as well. The release of Shenmue III has even boasted very discounted Shenmue I & II into the top 50.

Yeah, it's going up against a ton of established and critically acclaimed brands selling for $10, and all things considered is hanging in there. I think Shenmue is a niche game but not a 200k sales niche game (dreamcast re-releases alone sold 300k physical + unknown digital copies). Also agree that we need to remember that 80k units aren't being considered in whatever sales info we have. Just keep up the momentum and see where we are after Christmas.

Yeah... I don't understand the palpable negativity coming off of some of the people on here. I was catching up on this thread and decided to skip 10 pages due to how ridiculous it was getting.

The game hasn't even been out a week folks. You have the continuation of a beloved series and you guys are angry that it's not selling like hot cakes regardless that we don't have solid numbers... odd to say the least.

Let those getting into the series finish the first two games. They'll more than likely buy the third after.

Besides... I'm from the future and know Shenmue IV is released on PS5 and PC. *shrugs*

Yeah... I don't understand the palpable negativity coming off of some of the people on here. I was catching up on this thread and decided to skip 10 pages due to how ridiculous it was getting.

The game hasn't even been out a week folks. You have the continuation of a beloved series and you guys are angry that it's not selling like hot cakes regardless that we don't have solid numbers... odd to say the least.

Let those getting into the series finish the first two games. They'll more than likely buy the third after.

Besides... I'm from the future and know Shenmue IV is released on PS5 and PC. *shrugs*

Negativity about sales asking for shenmue 4 but say they hate shenmue 3. Lots of silliness in the fan base at the moment it’s painful to read after waiting for shenmue 3 for almost 2 decades.

Waiting so long did lead to some people really changing...

Maybe if we wait another few years for S4, these people have time to chill out.

Its odd because when you play the game and see the fans notes in-game via the hotel registry, and hotel notebook in Ryo's room along with the Shrine, temple and Save Shenmue building, you get a much different feel altogether regarding the game and the fact it now exists finally.
The internet is where people come to bitch I guess lol

Its odd because when you play the game and see the fans notes in-game via the hotel registry, and hotel notebook in Ryo's room along with the Shrine, temple and Save Shenmue building, you get a much different feel altogether regarding the game and the fact it now exists finally.
Yeah I was feeling some hardcore whiplash going from here to reading the hotel guestbook.

Yeah I was feeling some hardcore whiplash going from here to reading the hotel guestbook.
It’s just weird reading some posts like the sky is falling because the game is so putrid and terrible and the worst blasphemy against god, yet I’m playing it and it’s totally fine. I’m even enjoying it for the most part. It’s Shenmue! In fact it’s Shenmue 3, the game I thought would never exist and it plays and feels like Shenmue, but with better controls. What!?

The “true” fans can be as devastating for this series as the critics who want to mock the game... I’m pretty annoyed by the people who are suggesting things like they’re happy the game isn’t doing well because it means they can move on. What? Why is that a good thing?

It’s just weird reading some posts like the sky is falling because the game is so putrid and terrible and the worst blasphemy against god, yet I’m playing it and it’s totally fine. I’m even enjoying it for the most part. It’s Shenmue! In fact it’s Shenmue 3, the game I thought would never exist and it plays and feels like Shenmue, but with better controls. What!?

The “true” fans can be as devastating for this series as the critics who want to mock the game... I’m pretty annoyed by the people who are suggesting things like they’re happy the game isn’t doing well because it means they can move on. What? Why is that a good thing?
I'm going to sound awful here but while people have some gripes about the game (and that's within reason) my argument is why are we as a community highlighting those on social media? We will be steering people away from the game if all people see is Shenmue III isn't this, this bit sucks etc. We need to be focussing on the positives (of which there's many) to get those sitting on the fence to try the game.

Sometimes this community goes out of its way to shoot itself in the foot and some of the social media I've seen is doing exactly that.

I'm going to sound awful here but while people have some gripes about the game (and that's within reason) my argument is why are we as a community highlighting those on social media? We will be steering people away from the game if all people see is Shenmue III isn't this, this bit sucks etc. We need to be focussing on the positives (of which there's many) to get those sitting on the fence to try the game.

Sometimes this community goes out of its way to shoot itself in the foot and some of the social media I've seen is doing exactly that.
Exactly this entire post! The Dojo Facebook posts really gets to me from fans, it's always 'low sales, low review, IGN, etc.

Post the positive scores, the strong fanbase, the awesome things and details that the game does do well! It's there people! Focus on the positive!

I was so happy when I seen this post~ this should teach us to enjoy the truimph we DO have, as a community this is what we should spread around. Good on whoever made this! I believe it was the Shenmue Dojo itself, good job!78081166_2769017873121025_148508170820517888_n.jpg

Exactly this entire post! The Dojo Facebook posts really gets to me from fans, it's always 'low sales, low review, IGN, etc.

Post the positive scores, the strong fanbase, the awesome things and details that the game does do well! It's there people! Focus on the positive!

I was so happy when I seen this post~ this should teach us to enjoy the truimph we DO have, as a community this is what we should spread around. Good on whoever made this! I believe it was the Shenmue Dojo itself, good job!View attachment 6045

I think it was shenmueforever, but my god that image is glorious

Unfortunately I think some people will never be happy. They thrive off negativity and it spreads like wildfire. Often people later on with perspective seem to think differently. They seem to have no awareness of the effect this will have on the game overall.

Some of it is just malicious too like saying they wish yu Suzuki would never be allowed to release a further game. To me that’s not fandom that’s just a horrible thing to say to someone who has worked hard to make a game for the fans after all these years.

I despair at this part of the shenmue community, but I’m also not surprised. People have unrealistic expectations and make themselves unhappy. I’ve seen people say they want this game in any form and now it’s out they are negative about everything in it. Well clearly you didn’t want this game in any form.

The only thing we can do is spread positivity, I’m ok with constructive criticism but whining and throwing toys out of a pram is pathetic. People shouting fans down that enjoy the game is also unacceptable.

I believe new people into shenmue will enjoy shenmue 3 for what it is also as they don’t have 20 years of what they thought it should be.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think some people will never be happy. They thrive off negativity and it spreads like wildfire. Often people later on with perspective seem to think differently. They seem to have no awareness of the effect this will have on the game overall.

Some of it is just malicious too like saying they wish yu Suzuki would never be allowed to release a further game. To me that’s not fandom that’s just a horrible thing to say to someone who has worked hard to make a game for the fans after all these years.

I despair at this part of the shenmue community, but I’m also not surprised. People have unrealistic expectations and make themselves unhappy. I’ve seen people say they want this game in and form and now it’s out they are negative about everything in it. Well clearly you didn’t want this game in any form.

The only thing we can do is spread positivity, I’m ok with constructive criticism but whining and throwing toys out of a pram is pathetic. People shouting fans down that enjoy the game is also unacceptable.

I believe new people into shenmue will enjoy shenmue 3 for what it is also as they don’t have 20 years of what they thought it should be.

Thanks brotha. This post nailed it.

I think 18 years (or 17 for Xbox folks) waiting in the cave has rattled a few screws loose.

All of the Shenmue fans have gotten old and grumpy.
Shenmue fans entering the cave:
23685.jpg

And leaving the cave for Shenmue 3:
giphy.gif

Alternatively:

rAFP13z.gif

hronig-urutud-good-id-what-the-fuck-is-the-internet-50096419.png

I guess negativity just sells on the internet...how else do you explain the Click Bait crap we're littered with on a daily basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back