Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not too horrendous really. Question is whether other regions have matched that or not. 2 weeks out from release and if it's sold 60-80k copies in physical terms that's not bad, of course it could also be better.

I'd suspect it's nearer 80-100k sales when digital are factored in currently, though this is all guesswork
So we're sitting at 20k officially not to mention digital. Do I have it right?

So we're sitting at 20k officially not to mention digital. Do I have it right?
Yeah from the Japanese numbers. We dont know sales figures from other territories yet. Just the odd chart position.

Note to remember, which I didn't see above: Epic forgives the 5% engine fee if on EGS, so it is literally only 12% going to them, 88% going to game (after the pre-purchase advance sales are fulfilled).

Where is the 12 million number from recent Famitsu interview? Also doubt DS invested only 500k, or any less than 2m. Thanks in advance!

The big question for me is if it makes Deep Silver/Koch's investment less of a risk, would EGS be willing to make the same deal AGAIN for Shenmue IV? Not if sales didn't exceed their payoff. That's where I think relying on EGS is very dangerous. I get that Ys Net sees no money from Epic, but I don't think that's a bad thing if it makes the publisher's position better and finds them more likely to back another entry in the series. I'm surprised they're still pushing ahead with Darksiders if those games keep selling so poorly...

I don't know EGS business model but some companies may operate at a loss similar to how youtube operated at a loss in the beginning and the idea of recooping loses involves account registration, targeted ads, sales, other exclusive games, dlc, in item purchases and future purchases.

Maybe the

$70 million figure was not accurate, as Yu later quoted it as being $47 million. As mentioned above, marketing might have contributed to be closer to that $70 million figure....as it was a Guinness World Record, and they don't just hand out those records like candy to any company who inflates a budget figure for marketing purposes.

Right. But that Guinness World Record was more of a participation award.

Meaning, only SEGA came forth trying to compete for that title, whereas everyone else didn't even bother to enter and submit their data.

I don't know EGS business model but some companies may operate at a loss similar to how youtube operated at a loss in the beginning and the idea of recooping loses involves account registration, targeted ads, sales, other exclusive games, dlc, in item purchases and future purchases.

Sony and Xbox for their consoles generally operate at a loss. Not sure about Nintendo.
This is why they both stress so much on the whole digital stuff. They can rake in that 30% cut money as well as digital subscriptions and what not.
Since Nintendo now jumped aboard following suite, I guess they might be too?

Germany has a official company that tracks german sales numbers,
top 20 retail physical for each month + three awards for the highest selling ones in digital stores.
Its not some fan site or anything like that, its the same company that is responsible for Gamescom Germany
and they have dozens of partners like publishers, distributors, developers, exhibitions from all over the world.
(Koch Media is a official partner too)
Which means they get real official information. (they dont give out the real sales numbers, just the charts)

Sadly i doubt that Shenmue 3 will be in the November top 20 because there is no physical PC version
which means only the physical PS4 version will count.
So it has to compete with all these AAA exclusive games + multi platform games and Nintendo games, thats tough.
The list will be released between December 8 and December 13

Shenmue 1 & 2 Re - Release never made it into any of these lists.
(same problem because there was no physical PC version
and Shenmue digital only has no chance against top 3 digital AAA games)
So dont get your hopes up.

Deep Silvers Metro Exodus, Kingdom Come Deliverance
and Conan Exiles were in the charts but those are (physical) multi platform games.

ugh...
lol, it's so funny how much misinformation that one VG247 article has managed to spread around, and how shit it really is :p Surprisingly, the ResetEra thread isn't as bad as I thought it would be. There are a lot of people saying that the article is full of shit, and the other response is generally "well no shit". You have the usual RE trolls as well of course. The article is pointless, and the thread is pointless too, just ignore it.

Last edited:
I agree to an extent, but I don't like letting the haters control the narrative.

You know I just realized that probably a lot of haters of Shenmue are the people that ran out and bought the original Shenmue back in the day because it was so hype, then ended up not liking its slow pace and it showed in the diminished sales of the sequel (even though in the U.S. this was hurt due to no official U.S. release of Dreamcast Shenmue 2 and the Xbox version which only came to the West, didnt reflect actual total Shenmue fans since you had to buy an Xbox to play it).
But yeah; the Japanese sales number drop off from Shenmue 1 to Shenmue 2 certainly had to be telling there.

And so, you had a lot of people in the West who initially bought Shenmue 1 but never bothered or had access to even its sequel.
I was at a family thanksgiving dinner last weekend and I was talking about this game to my brother who didnt even know the third game came out as he doesnt play games but he remembered loving the first game. I told him both games were remastered and he said 'wait when did Shenmue 2 come out?" :ROFLMAO:

I think a lot of them just watch Sterling or that PC Master Race dude and get riled up about Shenmue because their heroes seem angry.

Epic is currently operating at loss because they have that goldmine called Fortnite. The game is literally financing the Epic Store, which may therefore work at loss in order to reach a certain amount of registered users. Just to give a rough idea... They paid Remedy about 10 million US dollars for the exclusivity of Control. Now... I doubt Control on Epic Store sold that much (consider also that Epic keeps a very small share of the money), but at the moment they just want to get more players to download and register on the store. That's the reason behind this strategy.

Its really crazy how just a handful of people can literally make or break a game these days
That's all I can attribute it to because some of the people I try arguing with seem so angry and sure of themselves, and I'm not sure what they're so angry about it. Why would a niche game upset them so much? Because they watch these loud mouths complain about it for half an hour and just think the worst of the franchise and its creator.

Its really crazy how just a handful of people can literally make or break a game these days
E-celebs have kind of replaced reviewers in many ways, they just tend to have more reach due to the entertaining nature of alot of them. I wouldn't say make it or break it though, I honestly think they really only have the ability to bring attention to products and maybe influence their sales in a positive way then they are to somehow actually ruin a game's reputation unless its a collective of people shitting on it. Like you can definitely find countless examples of a group of E-celeb types making a game far more popular sometimes even retroactively to a game from a while ago (driver san Francisco has more people talking about it now than when it released just cause of Nick Robinson, or how nier got a second life from word of mouth and videos about it leading to automata becoming a thing thanks to the support), however I cannot think of any game that was really set to succeed that popular E-celebs actually destroyed, they can turn people away from stuff but I dont think to any major degree.

Like assholes definitely conform their opinions to some specific folk, but alot of times thats a short lived stint from someone not even in the same market as what their complaining about anyway, like how many people that reiterate dunkey's talking points about how shit jrpg's and turn based games are, were ever gonna buy Octopath or DQ11?

That's all I can attribute it to because some of the people I try arguing with seem so angry and sure of themselves, and I'm not sure what they're so angry about it. Why would a niche game upset them so much? Because they watch these loud mouths complain about it for half an hour and just think the worst of the franchise and its creator.

Yeah plenty of people saying dumb things online that further hurt the game and divide the fanbases.
LIke this one guy I know on an another forum who said this:

Prince Noctis / Somaheir:
"Considering the horrendous PR this game has had. Screwing over Kickstarter backers going epic exclusive, and the developers trying to make it more like the original from what I hear this isn't surprising. There's a reason Sega ditched this sinking ship and moved on to Yakuza. Sega ditched this IP and has moved on to a much more polished and popular version that has reached its 7th entry. Both games are very similar only true difference is one is actually fun. "

he needs to be kicked in the head....with a soccer ball :sneaky:

E-celebs have kind of replaced reviewers in many ways, they just tend to have more reach due to the entertaining nature of alot of them. I wouldn't say make it or break it though, I honestly think they really only have the ability to bring attention to products and maybe influence their sales in a positive way then they are to somehow actually ruin a game's reputation unless its a collective of people shitting on it. Like you can definitely find countless examples of a group of E-celeb types making a game far more popular sometimes even retroactively to a game from a while ago (driver san Francisco has more people talking about it now than when it released just cause of Nick Robinson, or how nier got a second life from word of mouth and videos about it leading to automata becoming a thing thanks to the support), however I cannot think of any game that was really set to succeed that popular E-celebs actually destroyed, they can turn people away from stuff but I dont think to any major degree.

Like assholes definitely conform their opinions to some specific folk, but alot of times thats a short lived stint from someone not even in the same market as what their complaining about anyway, like how many people that reiterate dunkey's talking points about how shit jrpg's and turn based games are, were ever gonna buy Octopath or DQ11?

Yeah I was gonna say as much as Jim Sterling loves Dynasty Warriors, I doubt his words will convince people to suddenly run out and get them. But his absolute destruction of Dynasty Warriors 9 certainly didn't help the series lol.
But of course that game was getting ripped apart elsewhere not just from him.

Funny though that I actually bought that game because of a rare Youtuber that made some pretty funny Dynasty Warriors vids before; mostly from Dynasty Warriors 3 Taiwanese version (it had a dub yes its rare though) in addition to his DW9 stuff.
So sometimes even smaller Youtubers can influence people too.

Yeah I was gonna say as much as Jim Sterling loves Dynasty Warriors, I doubt his words will convince people to suddenly run out and get them. But his absolute destruction of Dynasty Warriors 9 certainly didn't help the series lol.
But of course that game was getting ripped apart elsewhere not just from him.

Funny though that I actually bought that game because of a rare Youtuber that made some pretty funny Dynasty Warriors vids before; mostly from Dynasty Warriors 3 Taiwanese version (it had a dub yes its rare though) in addition to his DW9 stuff.
So sometimes even smaller Youtubers can influence people too.
As someone who loved DW9, this annoyed the ever loving fuck out of me. As usual, the issue is less that certain criticisms aren't valid, it's that they're given WAY too much weight, while points genuinely deserving praise are outright ignored or given too little weight. This is why people viewing reviews as somewhat objective absolutely kill me, because it all comes down to the weighting of values which is 100% subjective.

I think someone summed it up here about rage culture. People love to hate and bash things that are outside the mainstream and you can see this everywhere outside of games. Just look at brand name phones, music genres, tv shows. People will always play the GTAs, Call Of Duties, Halos but most are not playing for the story but the online competition. People want to be youtube celebrities, twitch streamers, speedrunners, the whole mentality is faster, quicker, and number crunching frags like it's a football game. This may sum up the mentality of hatred towards Shenmue in general.

The series has always had these issues. When Shenmue II came out, I attempted to show friends and no one would even give it a chance. I had comments from people making fun of the models to the graphics, the voice acting legitimately making me feel awful for even wanting to play the game. I attempted to introduce the game to others who were at least into rpgs (fable, witcher) and just a complete lack of interest.

The others are the sandboxer open world fans who want complete access to a map, Shenmue doesn't truly fit into that unrestricted open world concept either.

Shenmue is really unique and fits in it's own genre, if there could be a comparison, perhaps a spin on the old point and click adventure games with more immersion and options and that is ok to me because I enjoy those games, none of the people I know like those type of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back