Shenmue 4 leak audio review trailer

People who have some expertise in A.I can generate various things, but not to an extent this complex, imo.

My question is *why* someone would decide to make such an(arguably) elaborate hoax just to troll a small community that is both benevolent and genuine.

I would've thought the mods could cross-check the OP and find out if trolling is afoot via IP or whatever, but I'm not tech savvy.

We'll have to wait and see what more comes of this, in addition to whatever Switch has to say on the matter.

Tokyo Game Show is in a few days. If there is any truth at all to this leak, something else will come out.

Reactions: JP_
After hearing the audio file and compare to the game, I also think it may be only a troll :(. Indeed, in Japanese in Shenmue 3 they say rantei for Landi, but inside the audio file it sounds more like Landi, which is really weird. Sad it ends up like that, but yeah, maybe if we focus on the small details, we can find some kind of problems here. Again, still very impressive troll I think. But thatโ€™s quite crural for us as a community if itโ€™s only a troll from someone.

People who have some expertise in A.I can generate various things, but not to an extent this complex, imo.

I would've thought the mods could cross-check the OP and find out if trolling is afoot via IP or whatever, but I'm not tech savvy.

Elevenlabs can do Japanese pretty well (at least, to someone who can't understand it). Click on the "Japanese" button for some examples. I can't imagine it would be too hard to train Shenmue voices, especially as a minute of speech is enough to work with nowadays: https://elevenlabs.io/

And whilst we won't be sharing any IP details publically, we do know that OP used a VPN every time they visited the Dojo.

Elevenlabs can do Japanese pretty well (at least, to someone who can't understand it). Click on the "Japanese" button for some examples. I can't imagine it would be too hard to train Shenmue voices, especially as a minute of speech is enough to work with nowadays: https://elevenlabs.io/

And whilst we won't be sharing any IP details publically, we do know that OP used a VPN every time they visited the Dojo.
Make sense he would use a vpn, I mean the guy made a Twitter account and a shenmue dojo account just to post this, and yes I know about elevenlabs, but the result is still pretty good eleven labs ai is mainly to do narrator/text to speech task and also some emotional line like the roar and so on are very hard for AI to generate but yeah maybe it's just an AI prop to the op then but I really don't know why he would waste time doing that he could have to do that to a more popular IP if he want fame

After hearing the audio file and compare to the game, I also think it may be only a troll :(. Indeed, in Japanese in Shenmue 3 they say rantei for Landi, but inside the audio file it sounds more like Landi, which is really weird. Sad it ends up like that, but yeah, maybe if we focus on the small details, we can find some kind of problems here. Again, still very impressive troll I think. But thatโ€™s quite crural for us as a community if itโ€™s only a troll from someone.
Yeah, I had hopes at first ngl I was pretty excited

Make sense he would use a vpn, I mean the guy made a Twitter account and a shenmue dojo account just to post this, and yes I know about elevenlabs, but the result is still pretty good eleven labs ai is mainly to do narrator/text to speech task and also some emotional line like the roar and so on are very hard for AI to generate but yeah maybe it's just an AI prop to the op then but I really don't know why he would waste time doing that he could have to do that to a more popular IP if he want fame
You seem pretty certain that the person who made this audio was a โ€œheโ€ Kenzo. Why is that, I wonder? ๐Ÿ˜‚

It doesn't help that we don't really have a solid translation yet I suppose. But if we humour the idea of AI being used for a moment, I feel like it could be a mixture of lore specific dialogue being synthized, and other more complex bits like the scream being harvested from elsewhere.

Has anyone been able to identify the background music yet btw? I don't recall hearing that specific version of the theme anywhere else, but I could be wrong.

You seem pretty certain that the person who made this audio was a โ€œheโ€ Kenzo. Why is that, I wonder? ๐Ÿ˜‚
sorry its just because my english sucks and in french we says il (so he ) when we dont know the gender edit: also yes i says a lot the guy its true that i supposed it was a man ngl :ROFLMAO:

It doesn't help that we don't really have a solid translation yet I suppose. But if we humour the idea of AI being used for a moment, I feel like it could be a mixture of lore specific dialogue being synthized, and other more complex bits like the scream being harvested from elsewhere.

Has anyone been able to identify the background music yet btw? I don't recall hearing that specific version of the theme anywhere else, but I could be wrong.
The music is in the OST, but was not used in 3.

Yeah exactly, I was so hyped last night ! I really wanted to believe in this leak and that it was true ! And while Shenmue 2 is my favourite game of all time and that it has a big impact on me and that I really loved 1 and 3 as well, I donโ€™t think Iโ€™m that knowledgable about the games compared to you guys !

Still itโ€™s great pleasure to come here and read you times to times when I need a Shenmue fix !

Even if some fan are still silent, Iโ€™m sure a lot of us wait for Shenmue 4 patiently and will rise again when the day come.

Oh wow you are French ? Me too actually :), but livingโ€ฆ in Hong Kong right now ah ah.

sorry its just because my english sucks and in french we says il (so he ) when we dont know the gender edit: also yes i says a lot the guy its true that i supposed it was a man ngl :ROFLMAO:
I was only messing. Fwiw, I think you may be right about the person who made this being the same person who posted that rumor on 4chan earlier this year.

Not long after it was posted to Twitter, a link to the tweet was shared on 4chan as well. I suppose itโ€™s possible that somebody just randomly stumbled upon it and decided to repost it on 4Chan, but the chances of that happening seem remarkably slim (as too do the chances of two different Shenmue hoaxers both using 4Chan).

Yeah exactly, I was so hyped last night ! I really wanted to believe in this leak and that it was true ! And while Shenmue 2 is my favourite game of all time and that it has a big impact on me and that I really loved 1 and 3 as well, I donโ€™t think Iโ€™m that knowledgable about the games compared to you guys !

Still itโ€™s great pleasure to come here and read you times to times when I need a Shenmue fix !

Even if some fan are still silent, Iโ€™m sure a lot of us wait for Shenmue 4 patiently and will rise again when the day come.

Oh wow you are French ? Me too actually :), but livingโ€ฆ in Hong Kong right now ah ah.
Haha, it's always a pleasure to meet French Shenmue fans. Wow, you live in Hong Kong? That's cool! Just like you, I was excited. I had kind of forgotten about Shenmue, but it's still in my heart. Today, I was excited again and listened to this audio on loop all day. guess it was a waste of time

Ah ah yeah exactly same ! I cannot stop hearing the audio file last night before going to sleep. I was excited really after a long time. But this morning I realised that I probably got tricked and got too excited ah ah

Hmm, so I kind of feel like the leaked audio would have been generated with something at least similar to this. I was fiddling with it a little bit, and it produces some fairly natural sounding Japanese voices, with some quirks.

It generated this line of text for me:
ๆ™‚้–“ใฏ้‡‘ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใ‚‚ไพกๅ€คใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€‚ๆ™‚้–“ใฏๅ–ใ‚Šๆˆปใ›ใชใ„ใ€‚
(Jikan wa kane yorimo kachi ga aru. Jikan wa tori modosenai.)

However, all the prebuilt voices said: 'Jikan wa ima yorimo[...]' instead of '[...] kane yorimo{...].'
The characters look very slightly similar (้‡‘ vs ไปŠ), but one is "money" while the other is "now."
Also, I found a couple of the voices pronounced 'Jikan' as 'Jiken.'

This would make the generally odd intonations and word choices in places in the leaked audio make a bit more sense to me. I find that some spots in the leaked audio just seem borderline unintelligible, despite a majority of the line being relatively naturally constructed Japanese.

(Oof, that "TeNTy!?" at the end makes me laugh every time, without fail. It sounds so ridiculous. There's just, like, absolutely no way Matsukaze delivers that line.)

Edit: This elevenlabs tool is kind of fun to mess with to see where it breaks down. It makes quite a number of reading errors in Japanese. Found some more like 'Shimesareru' being read as 'Hamesareru' (no idea how it got that one), or 'Soba ni' being read as 'Gawa ni' (same character, just the wrong pronunciation for the context). It's kind of cute, in a way.

Edit again: Ah, I feel like I found a smoking gun, for me at least. Generated text: ไบบใจ้•ใ†้“ใ‚’้€ฒใ‚€ๅ‹‡ๆฐ—ใ‚’ๆŒใคใ“ใจใŒใ€ๆˆๅŠŸใฎ้ตใจใชใ‚‹ใ€‚
This part, ้“ใ‚’้€ฒใ‚€, should be read as 'michi o susumu,' but elevenlabs' Daniel pronounces the 'michi o' as some practically unintelligible mess of what sounds like it could be three words at once. It sounded to me like this exact sort of thing happened more than once in that leaked audio.

Last edited:
can someone link all the music tracks in the clip? I don't think we've heard all of these before.

I will say that it's a bit odd to see just..that one thing. For most hoaxes, they can't resist egging it on with more stuff popping up in short order.

I donโ€™t believe it. For me things donโ€™t make sense or align and while listening to the audio did momentarily give me a glimmer of hope as a long time fan I know generally these hoaxes tend to circle the community.

Back