Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Too many sarcastic jabs at the games for my liking. People really are assholes these days. Ever since the announcement of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter in 2015, people have been taking cheap shots at the series. It's like seeing a group of fans so happy after waiting so long really got under their skin for no real reason. Then the popular Youtubers jumped on the bandwagon and Shenmue hasn't been allowed to be anything but something to laugh at.
What's been refreshing is that there's been quite a few people in the community calling out the bullshit on Twitter.

Obviously changes to plot are typically done for stylistic/narrative reasons, but it has positive side effects: it keeps the existing fans guessing (instead of knowing exactly what's going to happen), generates discussion among the fan base, etc. The trick is making interesting changes that make sense, but I'm not particularly worried about that with Yu involved.

Fellow fans of this amazing series we have enjoyed when no one would even try.

This is what we wanted. This is what the fanbase and the game itself which is a masterpiece deserves. And, this is gonna bring us closer to getting four. I know it. The stars have aligned I believe.

Any word from Yu anyone about the anime?

If he cared about the franchise he'd have never have made that video, simple as that.
I really can't dig people bashing other people that didn't like Shen3. Fbh, I find myself agreeing with in so many aspects, if not all. That game is not, SPECIALLY, it's history. The funny thing is that Yu himself addresses the bad words towards the game saying "to achieve the kind of quality (of Shenmue 1), Shenmue 3 would have to unfold just in Bailu Village". And that's why i fell honest about my criticism and concerns. Am i still a fan? You tell me. I just started a new game on Shenmue yesterday. I like Shenmue 3? No and i don't hate it. Maybe, and just maybe, Shenmue find a way to live, and retcon almost the entire 3rd installment. The way I feel towards the anime, reminds me why I love this game so much, wich is something I didn't feel about Shenmue 3, specially after going through all the game.

I think the runtime will be fine. I mean obviously we arent going to see all of the walking, asking and waiting in the anime.
So if Ryo knows that hes supposed to be in the travel ticket shop next in the anime,
than they can simply make a cut to the next day etc.
We are not going to see his way home every day.
So this is going to reduce the time by a lot. They can still show Ryo at a vending machine,
Ryo training in the parking lot etc but those are like what ... 20, 30, 60 second long scenes?
Like little fan service scenes.
Even stuff like the bar fight is probably not longer than a minute or so.
I really doubt that theres going to be a whole episode where Ryo just asks around
and nothing else. I doubt that there will be a 5 minute long Ryo gambling scene.
So all of the time that they get from cutting it a bit faster, can be used for the important story bits
and i think its going to be okay.
Plus, I imagine there will be classroom scenes showing Ryo with his friends. No anime involving high schoolers is complete without a some classroom scenes, maybe an after school fight and a bitchy teacher topped off with a blushing love interest moment. Basically, expanding on his personal life

I really can't dig people bashing other people that didn't like Shen3. Fbh, I find myself agreeing with in so many aspects, if not all. That game is not, SPECIALLY, it's history. The funny thing is that Yu himself addresses the bad words towards the game saying "to achieve the kind of quality (of Shenmue 1), Shenmue 3 would have to unfold just in Bailu Village". And that's why i fell honest about my criticism and concerns. Am i still a fan? You tell me. I just started a new game on Shenmue yesterday. I like Shenmue 3? No and i don't hate it. Maybe, and just maybe, Shenmue find a way to live, and retcon almost the entire 3rd installment. The way I feel towards the anime, reminds me why I love this game so much, wich is something I didn't feel about Shenmue 3, specially after going through all the game.
There's a difference which you seem to be missing. You've probably given constructive criticism in what you felt doesn't work. That's expected and welcomed. The difference is you wouldn't sell the franchise up the creek with your criticism and would discuss them in a fair, analytical manner rather than over egging the pudding.

Making a video which is full of half truths, hyperbole because he wants clicks is the kind of thing this community can do without. Anyone who has half a mind will know Shenmue is a niche franchise that doesn't need that sort of deliberate damage that he caused.

There's a difference between fair criticism and blatant rubbish SEPW came out with in the search of clicks. It hurts to see someone sell the franchise out for personal gain like that.

Last edited:
there's a difference that you seem to be missing. You've probably given constructive criticism in what you felt doesn't work. That's expected and welcomed. The difference is you wouldn't sell the franchise up the creek with your criticism and would discuss them in a fair, analytical manner rather than over-egging the pudding.

Making a video that is full of half-truths, hyperbole because he wants clicks is the kind of thing this community can do without. Anyone who has half a mind will know Shenmue is a niche franchise that doesn't need that sort of deliberate damage that he caused.

There's a difference between fair criticism and blatant rubbish SEPW came out within the search of clicks. It hurts to see someone sell the franchise out for personal gain like that.
Pretty much this. Everyone here knows that Shenmue III is my least favorite chapter in the franchise and I have not hesitated to criticize it as such. However, my criticism comes from a place of love and wanting the best for Shenmue and Yu Suzuki. I have also treated everyone who did enjoy Shenmue III with civility and respect and it is reciprocated in return. Forgive my crassness, but it is amazing how people will treat you when you do not act like a dick.

Besides even those who do enjoy Shenmue III will freely admit that the game has its flaws. Even Yu Suzuki himself has admitted that Shenmue III is a "seven out of ten." If the creator himself can recognize flaws with his work then that gives further hope that Shenmue IV will improve. And even if it does not, I am loyal to Shenmue to the very end, going down with the proverbial ship.

Besides, I do not think that everything in Shenmue III is bad and there were things I enjoyed even if they were not as fleshed out to my liking. I think it is puerile to develop a superiority complex over something as subjective as one's entertainment preferences as one person's trash is another's treasure. In the end, as cliche as this sounds treat people the way you want to be treated.

I apologize for this off-topic post.

Last edited:
If I were a huge Shenmue fan with a big audience on a major social media platform, I would simply not attempt to bury the series for good because I had criticisms of the third game made with a sixth of the staff and budget of the originals.

I actually think that video is reprehensible for a so-called fan who knows how hard REAL fans campaigned to get Shenmue III for years, and decided that because they didn't like it nobody else gets to see the series continue either. Total scumbag, obnoxious, selfish e-celebrity waste of space.

Last edited:
I know we've discussed SEPW to death, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's less about Shenmue and more about himself. I like to think that the majority of people who shit on the game never liked it in the first place, but legitimising such views only enforces it and creates a needless echo chamber.

The funniest thing is that I guarantee you that outside of the internet, I bet nobody knows who the hell he is. When you look at the almost decade long journey to get Shenmue III back (thinking of TeamYu amongst others), to have all that hard work potentially damaged by one person is just shameful. On the other hand, I like to think that the brand is in rude health and that people of far more importance are helping keep the brand alive.

But hey, he gets his clicks and attention, but at what cost? A grown man almost certainly defined for the rest of his life by whining and moaning about a game of all things (and it's the insincerity of his moaning that gets me). If anything, his positive reaction to the anime makes things worse. If Shenmue has ruined his life (and lets be honest, in the real world peoples lives are ruined for much, much worse reasons), then have the courage of your bloody convictions and don't get involved. He made his bed. He can fucking lie in it.

Anyway, that's my piece. Back to positivity~❤️

You're missing the point

so basically the guy likes getting smacked in the face with a bag of dicks.

You're missing the point
Am i? Actually, i don't even bother to speak about Shen3. I don't mind people bashing it. And i think the same thing happened to The Last Of Us Part 2. Its divisive. Altough that Neil guy wanted it to be so. But i would not dig on someone criticizing the originals and the anime. I would rather erase that game and make a new one. Sorry. Thats the way i feel.

If I were a huge Shenmue fan with a big audience on a major social media platform, I would simply not attempt to bury the series for good because I had criticisms of the third game made with a sixth of the staff and budget of the originals.

I actually think that video is reprehensible for a so-called fan who knows how hard REAL fans campaigned to get Shenmue III for years, and decided that because they didn't like it nobody else gets to see the series continue either. Total scumbag, obnoxious, selfish e-celebrity waste of space.
Mate, the producers of the game are the ones to be blame for their bad game and the attempt to bury the series for good.

Mate, the producers of the game are the ones to be blame for their bad game and the attempt to bury the series for good.
A bad game in your opinion, an opinion you're allowed to express freely as are others who like it.

This is derailing the topic so everyone please refrain from discussing the SEPW video further. I don't want that video souring what is a magical moment for this community.

Am i? Actually, i don't even bother to speak about Shen3. I don't mind people bashing it. And i think the same thing happened to The Last Of Us Part 2. Its divisive. Altough that Neil guy wanted it to be so. But i would not dig on someone criticizing the originals and the anime. I would rather erase that game and make a new one. Sorry. Thats the way i feel.
That's cool, but you're still missing the point

Not really the thread for it, but this is laughable. They worked hard for years to give us what they could, with the resources they had. That isn't an automatic recipe for success and it doesn't preclude mistakes or flaws, but the dedication to giving us an authentic continuation of the series in really challenging conditions isn't remotely in question.

A fair-weather "fan" deciding to wield their enormous platform to go on a half-baked rant and proclaim they'd "wasted my life" waiting for Shenmue III is a conscious action to look at the hard work of others - the developers, the real fans, the community at large - and say none of it meant anything. It did mean something. It meant something to a great many people, and no idiot with a megaphone is ever going to change that.

I'll be leaving this alone now. It's derailing the thread and I've said what I wanted to say.

A bad game in your opinion, an opinion you're allowed to express freely as are others who like it.

This is derailing the topic so everyone please refrain from discussing the SEPW video further. I don't want that video souring what is a magical moment for this community.
Indeed.

Yeah, let's keep things on topic please. We've already discussed SEPW and his take extensively on the forums and there isn't much new being added here.

Not really the thread for it, but this is laughable. They worked hard for years to give us what they could, with the resources they had. That isn't an automatic recipe for success and it doesn't preclude mistakes or flaws, but the dedication to giving us an authentic continuation of the series in really challenging conditions isn't remotely in question.

A fair-weather "fan" deciding to wield their enormous platform to go on a half-baked rant and proclaim they'd "wasted my life" waiting for Shenmue III is a conscious action to look at the hard work of others - the developers, the real fans, the community at large - and say none of it meant anything. It did mean something. It meant something to a great many people, and no idiot with a megaphone is ever going to change that.

I'll be leaving this alone now. It's derailing the thread and I've said what I wanted to say.
Yu Suzuki said that, to achieve the level of polishness of Shenmue 1, Shen3 would have to be based only in Bailu. And i'm afraid that would give us a better game.

That's it for me too. And love the anime. Love Ryo getting the scar and then using the band....Guilin....Mad Angels....i'm in. And i will always be for anything Shenmue related.

Back