Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

Anyone else notoce that some of the cutscenes are in widescreen? I just saw nozomi walk on air out of the scene when you find the cat lol

Shenmue I & II is currently the top-selling game on Steam, complete with 89% positive reviews:

W1jHKge.png

I'm definitely gonna buy it on Steam when it's either on sale or gets modded. I already bought it for XB1 and have the PS4 Limited Edition coming from Japan in November.

If journalists have nothing much positive to add on their Shenmue reviews, it'd be cooler too see them celebrate the re-releases in the fashion of videos like this instead (with Adam Koralik):

Pros: Fast travel from the Hazuki residence is awesome! 1080p and 16:9 look very nice and the UI looks so clean and fresh. Lots of graphics and audio options. Modern controls make looking around feel a bit more natural.

Cons: I've noticed a glitch with an achievement. There's an achievement for practicing in the dojo. I've sparred with Fuku-San 3 times and practiced solo and the achievement will not pop. Also, with bloom turned on, the brightness seems to automatically, slowly, brighten and darken when you go to certain areas. It's a little distracting. I also had some trouble triggering the practice in the parking lot once. I had to leave the parking lot and re-enter it a couple of times for the game to decide to ask me if I wanted to practice.

Metacritic just made Shenmue their Editor's pick, for games no less. This is taken from their front page ?

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 07.05.00.png

This is awesome. We've really stepped up here. Also this is the pre-patched stuff which is even more impressive

It's not until you see them side-by-side that you realise just how incredible the HD versions look:

VOlvDhi.jpg

QFOo1Gg.jpg

K7o2V4V.jpg

Obviously the higher resolution, texture filtering and anti-aliasing are a huge part of it, but the added colour depth is huge as well. I know people have been complaining about crushed blacks but I always found the original to be bad in that regard as well. The only thing that's really "missing" from the image per se is the green tint in Shenmue I. It'd be a nice optional filter like those in Shenmue II, but it is very green...so I kinda get why they went without it.

(Thanks to Digital Foundry and their awesome work)

I just played the game for an hour so, through the first day. Got the info from Ajiichi about the 3 Blades before heading back home to save/bed.

Haven't encountered any bugs or issues except a weird rickety sound in the kitchen (maybe the fridge has a bad motor in the re-release?). Also, the scene with the old lady looking for a house didn't trigger for some reason, I always thought that occurred on Day 1.

Liking the new interface and have no issues personally with audio quality.

Not sure if I'll dedicate a ton of time to the game just yet. I've played these games so many times in my youth, I still know them like the back of my hand even though it's been awhile since I had a proper play-through. I don't see myself playing through them more than once each ahead of Shenmue III, so it might be closer to then that I really dive in.

Its the fridge. Remember, those old fridges were noisy as hell.

Well so far I'm loving it. It's been 7-10 years since I did a replay and honestly, I was a bit worried that the game would start to feel really dated. I'm happy to say that the first game has once again sucked me into the story and I can't wait to continue once I'm on days off again.

My only complaints so far was already a known issue months ago and that's the original audio files not being modernized. You can really tell the voice overs are original files as it sounds almost monotone in comparison to everything else. It was jarring at first but I'm used to it already.

The positives outweigh that one negative pretty significantly.
- Native HD Resolution
- On PS4 (my main system)
- Second analog control used for camera now
- Save anywhere
- Trophy support

Many are bitching for various reasons... meanwhile I'm just enjoying the hell out of it.

Did the original shenmue give you the choice to skip cutscenes once you've completed the game? If not then they added that feature.

Edit: Appears to work only with the first cutscene so far.

Did the original shenmue give you the choice to skip cutscenes once you've completed the game? If not then they added that feature.

Edit: Appears to work only with the first cutscene so far.

The original Shenmue lets you skip the opening cutscenes after completing the game once; the re-release lets you skip the opening cutscenes whether you've completed the game or not.

Similarly, Shenmue II let you skip a large number of cutscenes after completing the game once (on the Xbox, you had to load a completed save to enable this feature); the re-release lets you skip these cutscenes whether you've completed the game or not (however, there are some cutscenes that were skippable in the Xbox version that are not skippable in the re-release).

The original Shenmue lets you skip the opening cutscenes after completing the game once; the re-release lets you skip the opening cutscenes whether you've completed the game or not.

Similarly, Shenmue II let you skip a large number of cutscenes after completing the game once (on the Xbox, you had to load a completed save to enable this feature); the re-release lets you skip these cutscenes whether you've completed the game or not (however, there are some cutscenes that were skippable in the Xbox version that are not skippable in the re-release).

Wait, stupid question. How do you skip cutscenes? I'm on Shenmue 1 currently and haven't tried it specifically on the obvious cutscenes but rather I've been trying to skip the cutscenes immediately preceding QTEs. I've been pressing start, Circle button (B button) etc, and nothing.

Wait, stupid question. How do you skip cutscenes? I'm on Shenmue 1 currently and haven't tried it specifically on the obvious cutscenes but rather I've been trying to skip the cutscenes immediately preceding QTEs. I've been pressing start, Circle button (B button) etc, and nothing.

You press B/circle. If you're in Shenmue I the only cutscenes you can skip are the opening cutscenes, so you won't be able to skip any others.

I saw a prompt when I moved the left analog stick.

I really like it with the one exception of the voice audio. It's like they redone the visuals, the controls, the music, but it's as if a week prior to the release they're like 'oh shoot, we forgot to do the voice audio! Just put it in and it is what it is'. Sounds as if it was recorded by a microphone near a speaker from the Dreamcast version. If it wasn't for that it would be a perfect job. The clearer visuals in the widescreen aspect ratio makes you really feel more in the game than before. Best way to deal with the audio issue is to raise the volume of that higher than the other sounds.

I was told turning off my ps4 pro's boost mode will help fix a lot of the glitches I've been experiencing. I'll try that before I fully pass judgement, but so far I'm really upset with the shape the game is currently in. Every glitch I've noticed has been small and normally wouldn't be a big deal, but they are so frequent and relentless that it feels like I'm playing a bootleg version of the game or something...

Back