Shenmue I & II HD sales data

Glad I was able to share the good news and everyone is pleased!

I think one thing that's important to note is that this chart performance is very good for a myriad of reasons. For one the Dreamcast was mostly dead in the UK. Shenmue 1 did okay but Shenmue 2 was released so late it didn't sell and then fared even worse on the Xbox because of the low install base and PS2 domination. Point being that in the UK the original releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 did no-where near as exceptionally well as this re-release i.e. Shenmue is doing better now in the UK than it even did on release. There's a number of reasons for this, for example Shenmue HD launching on super popular consoles with an actual install base for once (PS4/Xbox One versus the Dreamcast) but I think a major, major reason is that in the intervening years since Shenmue's release, Shenmue gained this almost mythological status and reverence, along with the most dedicated fanbase in gaming, and that just accumulated over time, reaching fever pitch during the Shenmue 3 hype overload that crashed Kickstarter during E3 2015, that seems to have had the residual effect of amplifying the very good sales of Shenmue HD we're seeing now.

The point I'm trying to make is that based on the sales data we have so far Shenmue 1 and 2 are doing better than they did when they were originally released - which is just astounding, and if these very positive sales reports keep coming in (I'm really, really interested to see how Shenmue HD does in the US, given it was the Dreamcast's most successful region) Sega must be fucking kicking themselves for not meeting the overwhelming fan demand for a sequel. 20-year old, minimal ports of the original games just hit number 2 in the UK charts for Christ's sake. Not even Sega's best selling series at the moment can do that any more. Sonic doesn't even do that any more. They completely misjudged demand for a sequel and the resultant potential financial return, even when fans were shouting it at them. It also bodes extremely well for Shenmue 3 which has the power to reach the same chart position, or even higher because it's an actual modern sequel. I know it's only one territory but it's also likely to be reflective of how Shenmue HD is faring worldwide. Shenmue HD is selling, and this is positively wonderful news, particularly because it definitely will affect the future of the series from here on.

Honestly I think it's just going to snowball from here. Shenmue HD will continue to do well, and if its sales are indicative as to how 3 will fare - Shenmue 3 will also sell well (probably far beyond Shenmue HD in all fairness, it's a numbered sequel and it has all the momentum, demand and hype behind it, as well as being a modern game) and then that'll ensure Shenmue 4.

Shenmue's future is brighter than it has ever been. Shenmue's basically back.

This is indeed fantastic news and very reflective of the situation here in the UK where places even ran out of stock.
Has anyone got sales figures/charts on the USA and or other parts of Europe? I am trying to hunt them down for the dojo social media channels. This needs to be celebrated.

The fact what was a dead brand can come back and chart that high is testament to the games and how damn good they hold up against todays standards but also to us fans who said it could. Sega will see this and I am sure will provide foot for thought.

@spud1897 I think the NPD Sales data will hit sometime in early September for the US numbers. Don't quote me on that, but it should hit sometime next week.
Great I'll keep an eye out over the next week or so.

Hopefully a similar situation is reflected in the USA to the UK

As a side note it is currently no 6 on Shopto.net for PS4 overall sales No 49 in overall video game product sales on Amazon # 16 overall PS4 games sales & # 14 XB1. Dropped off but still going well.

Also # 15 in steam sales.

Apparently it didn't make the top five in France, but there are tales of stock shortages and we should, perhaps, take into account that the street date was broken the previous week by multiple retailers...

Last edited:
Apparently it didn't make the top ten in France, but there are tales of stock shortages and we should, perhaps, take into account that the street date was broken the previous week by multiple retailers...
I'd been looking for the French charts but these are quite hard to come by.

It's annoying that people broke street date as it skews the figures. I suppose it won't matter as they all count as sales in the end.

Glad I was able to share the good news and everyone is pleased!

I think one thing that's important to note is that this chart performance is very good for a myriad of reasons. For one the Dreamcast was mostly dead in the UK. Shenmue 1 did okay but Shenmue 2 was released so late it didn't sell and then fared even worse on the Xbox because of the low install base and PS2 domination. Point being that in the UK the original releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 did no-where near as exceptionally well as this re-release i.e. Shenmue is doing better now in the UK than it even did on release. There's a number of reasons for this, for example Shenmue HD launching on super popular consoles with an actual install base for once (PS4/Xbox One versus the Dreamcast) but I think a major, major reason is that in the intervening years since Shenmue's release, Shenmue gained this almost mythological status and reverence, along with the most dedicated fanbase in gaming, and that just accumulated over time, reaching fever pitch during the Shenmue 3 hype overload that crashed Kickstarter during E3 2015, that seems to have had the residual effect of amplifying the very good sales of Shenmue HD we're seeing now.

The point I'm trying to make is that based on the sales data we have so far Shenmue 1 and 2 are doing better than they did when they were originally released - which is just astounding, and if these very positive sales reports keep coming in (I'm really, really interested to see how Shenmue HD does in the US, given it was the Dreamcast's most successful region) Sega must be fucking kicking themselves for not meeting the overwhelming fan demand for a sequel. 20-year old, minimal ports of the original games just hit number 2 in the UK charts for Christ's sake. Not even Sega's best selling series at the moment can do that any more. Sonic doesn't even do that any more. They completely misjudged demand for a sequel and the resultant potential financial return, even when fans were shouting it at them. It also bodes extremely well for Shenmue 3 which has the power to reach the same chart position, or even higher because it's an actual modern sequel. I know it's only one territory but it's also likely to be reflective of how Shenmue HD is faring worldwide. Shenmue HD is selling, and this is positively wonderful news, particularly because it definitely will affect the future of the series from here on.

Honestly I think it's just going to snowball from here. Shenmue HD will continue to do well, and if its sales are indicative as to how 3 will fare - Shenmue 3 will also sell well (probably far beyond Shenmue HD in all fairness, it's a numbered sequel and it has all the momentum, demand and hype behind it, as well as being a modern game) and then that'll ensure Shenmue 4.

Shenmue's future is brighter than it has ever been. Shenmue's basically back.

Keeping on your train of though, would it be possible that Sega sees the overwhelming positivity and somehow contracts YSNet to work with them on 4, if 3 sells well?

I think that Sega indeed is kicking themselves and that they will want a piece of the pie next time around, thus making it a joint collaboration.

Which means;
- More money
- More past assets/licenses (if they aren't expired)/whatever that will able to be used.
- Possible different minigames, outside of AM2, from that period (Choplifter, Flicky, Regulus, etc.).
- Hell, maybe even get some input from Nagoshi, Mitsuyoshi, guys that worked on the original games.

Make it a joint effort, although you don't really see that in the videogame world...

Just food for thought!

Keeping on your train of though, would it be possible that Sega sees the overwhelming positivity and somehow contracts YSNet to work with them on 4, if 3 sells well?

I think that Sega indeed is kicking themselves and that they will want a piece of the pie next time around, thus making it a joint collaboration.

Which means;
- More money
- More past assets/licenses (if they aren't expired)/whatever that will able to be used.
- Possible different minigames, outside of AM2, from that period (Choplifter, Flicky, Regulus, etc.).
- Hell, maybe even get some input from Nagoshi, Mitsuyoshi, guys that worked on the original games.

Make it a joint effort, although you don't really see that in the videogame world...

Just food for thought!
I don’t think Sega will be kicking themselves at all. They took a huge risk with the original games and it didn’t pay off.

Shenmue 3 will be excused to an extent if it’s not the finished article as it’s an indie game but were Sega to have been behind it, people would have expected a AAA game which would have required a lot more money and I don’t think they could have used Kickstarter to raise funds so would have been looking at a $20m+ investment.

The game did very well on Kickstarter but I’m not expecting it to sell well upon release. Most series fans already have multiple copies through pledges and so won’t be buying it and the poor ports of the originals will probably deter any new gamers from taking the risk unless the game is incredible.

Unfortunately, due to the budget restraints, I really can’t see it standing out over AAA games in terms of gameplay and new gamers will be put off joining a story half way through or continuing the story of a game which didn’t work properly and in all likelihood was never completed (I would have given up my playthough of S1 by now if it were any other game).

Things worked out perfectly for Sega. They get the fans off their back by allowing YS to develop the game and were able to make a quick buck through some lazy ports which they seem to have sunk as little money as possible into developing.

If by some miracle (and if anyone can do it, I believe it’s YS) S3 does well, I’m sure they’ll be ready to swoop in and try and make some money from S4 - but the low risk will suit them down to the ground.

I don’t think Sega will be kicking themselves at all. They took a huge risk with the original games and it didn’t pay off.

Shenmue 3 will be excused to an extent if it’s not the finished article as it’s an indie game but were Sega to have been behind it, people would have expected a AAA game which would have required a lot more money and I don’t think they could have used Kickstarter to raise funds so would have been looking at a $20m+ investment.

The game did very well on Kickstarter but I’m not expecting it to sell well upon release. Most series fans already have multiple copies through pledges and so won’t be buying it and the poor ports of the originals will probably deter any new gamers from taking the risk unless the game is incredible.

Unfortunately, due to the budget restraints, I really can’t see it standing out over AAA games in terms of gameplay and new gamers will be put off joining a story half way through or continuing the story of a game which didn’t work properly and in all likelihood was never completed (I would have given up my playthough of S1 by now if it were any other game).

Things worked out perfectly for Sega. They get the fans off their back by allowing YS to develop the game and were able to make a quick buck through some lazy ports which they seem to have sunk as little money as possible into developing.

If by some miracle (and if anyone can do it, I believe it’s YS) S3 does well, I’m sure they’ll be ready to swoop in and try and make some money from S4 - but the low risk will suit them down to the ground.

Bit of a pessimistic POV lol but I see the scenario playing out like that too.

Bit of a pessimistic POV lol but I see the scenario playing out like that too.
I really do hope to be proven wrong and don’t want to sound pessimistic as this is my favorite game series of all time; but I feel that the disinterest they have shown towards the port and their failure to act quickly to address the numerous problems with it has done a lot of damage to the series on the whole.

This should have been a great thing for the gaming community as a whole; but it’s pretty telling that the second most active thread on this forum (filled with the people that love this game the most) is the bug report thread.

If fans of the series are getting fed up with this port then imagine how first time players are feeling. I know the game wasn’t a full priced game, but in it’s current state it’s difficult to even call it a game.

It was never the gameplay that made me love Shenmue but the story and how it was able to immerse you within the game’s world. It’s very difficult to maintain that immersion when every other cut-scene is a black screen with disembodied voices.

I really do hope to be proven wrong and don’t want to sound pessimistic as this is my favorite game series of all time; but I feel that the disinterest they have shown towards the port and their failure to act quickly to address the numerous problems with it has done a lot of damage to the series on the whole.

This should have been a great thing for the gaming community as a whole; but it’s pretty telling that the second most active thread on this forum (filled with the people that love this game the most) is the bug report thread.

If fans of the series are getting fed up with this port then imagine how first time players are feeling. I know the game wasn’t a full priced game, but in it’s current state it’s difficult to even call it a game.

It was never the gameplay that made me love Shenmue but the story and how it was able to immerse you within the game’s world. It’s very difficult to maintain that immersion when every other cut-scene is a black screen with disembodied voices.
The ports do have good things about them but I find the new problems out weigh the postive ones.
Atleast with the PC port modders can keep the game alive for well into the future and anything that dosen't get fixed by Sega/d3t will likely be ironed out by the dedicated fans with those skills.
Then Sega can re-release that on the PS5/XBOXONEX2. ;)

The only reason I feel to report bugs was in the hope it gets fixed, so people can get the best out of the game. Even if they get fixed down the road, I too wonder if the damage is already done to any new players.

The music/audio in Shenmue II is so bad that while I really want to play through it I might just put it on hold and come back in a few months since I find it very jarring. But then the other half of me thinks i should play it to see what other bugs issues the game has so I can report them in the hope they get fixed, but then that's just doing the job of what the QC/testers were paid to do in the 1st place. :weary:

Back