Shenmue I & II HD sales data

Keep telling people about Shenmue. Maybe that will convince them to buy it.

Have never really hear of a big Aussie fanbase, save for my buddy from gfaqs (even then, he was more a SHMUP guy).

Good to see it doing well, Down Under!

Shenmue is pretty big in Australia. I think SEGA had a bigger marketshare here than basically anywhere else in the world, from Master System through to Dreamcast. I think the Master System may have even outsold the NES.

Shenmue is pretty big in Australia. I think SEGA had a bigger marketshare here than basically anywhere else in the world, from Master System through to Dreamcast. I think the Master System may have even outsold the NES.

Yes it did; it was the heavyweight, console-wise and Wonderboy was super popular for Australia, that sold a lot of SMSs.

Yes it did; it was the heavyweight, console-wise and Wonderboy was super popular for Australia, that sold a lot of SMSs.
I grew up in the wrong country! But back before 360/PS3/Wii, I feel like games came out months later outside US, and even longer if it was a Japanese game for everywhere else in the world. Thank goodness most of those days are behind us.

Back on topic: I already own the digital version of Shenmue HD on Xbox, and wanted a physical copy. I went to Gamestop over the weekend and they didn't even have the game on display....I had to ask if they had any and the guy looked on his computer to find out, which they did. I really hope this isn't like other Gamestops. How much shelf space is really needed for the latest DudeShooterBro? I swear there are like five out and those are just for display.

What annoys me is we know it has dropped by a certain % but we are not provided with figures.... 83% drop implies sales were quite high originally!

Keep telling people about Shenmue. Maybe that will convince them to buy it.

After all the Shenmue preaching and conversions I have done with this collection, I am convinced that I would make an awesome Jehovah's Witness.

Sure, we could spread word of mouth as fans, but we all know we are all buying everyone we know copies of Shenmue as gifts. Ok a little sarcastic but I might buy one or two people a copy. :p

What annoys me is we know it has dropped by a certain % but we are not provided with figures.... 83% drop implies sales were quite high originally!

Not really. Wouldn't have sold more than 80k first week. In fact probably sold less than half that the first week(physical)

It's not in the Xbox one or Ps4 single charts top 20 and at 33 in the multi platform chart which is probably less than 300 units sold.
So if it is due to being out of stock it's another balls up on Sega's part for this release.

A different look at the games first week sales in the UK

The other big new release of the week was Shenmue I and II, which made No.8 in the digital charts, No.2 in the physical retail charts and No.3 in the combined charts.

Overall first week it did quite well. I'd love solid numbers but I can't see us getting them just yet. It reached No 5 in France and no 2 in Germany. So I would hope between the 3 of us it shipped 200k or more. Fingers crossed.

USA figures will be very interesting.

Overall first week it did quite well. I'd love solid numbers but I can't see us getting them just yet. It reached No 5 in France and no 2 in Germany. So I would hope between the 3 of us it shipped 200k or more. Fingers crossed.

USA figures will be very interesting.
I miss the German one. Also we have to keep in mind that until it is released in Japan next November it will not be total numbers.

I miss the German one. Also we have to keep in mind that until it is released in Japan next November it will not be total numbers.
Very true and I've not seen sales charts from Spain and other EU countries.

I grew up in the wrong country! But back before 360/PS3/Wii, I feel like games came out months later outside US, and even longer if it was a Japanese game for everywhere else in the world. Thank goodness most of those days are behind us.

Back on topic: I already own the digital version of Shenmue HD on Xbox, and wanted a physical copy. I went to Gamestop over the weekend and they didn't even have the game on display....I had to ask if they had any and the guy looked on his computer to find out, which they did. I really hope this isn't like other Gamestops. How much shelf space is really needed for the latest DudeShooterBro? I swear there are like five out and those are just for display.

Here at EB, was the kinda the same thing: the Box copies were on display, but the PS4 copies were in the back and someone had to go get it.

They had 19 copies of the PS4 version, so I'm not sure why.

Still a terrible company, especially if they're pulling crap like this.

Yeah SEGA was always huge here, there was even a SEGA World which I was lucky enough to visit a few times back in the day.
Really though, apart from arcade machines, it was mainly the Sega Master System and Mega Drive which were popular. Saturn and Dreamcast weren't really all that popular in Australia I barely knew anyone that had those consoles. Also, I think the Dreamcast launch was kind of botched in Australia from memory...
Oh and Sega Master System definitely outsold the NES here, and yeah every Wonderboy; from the original to the sequels on the Master System were hugely popular and sought after, same with Alex Kidd.

One thing I always find odd/funny/sad is newer "retro" gamers here in Australia seem to think that Nintendo was always on top in the early days here, Sega's early dominance is becoming a fading memory amongst newer gamers here.

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic. Carry on(y)

Back