Shenmue I & II HD sales data

So if it is due to being out of stock it's another balls up on Sega's part for this release.

Stock shortages can also be the retailer's fault, as it's up to them to order as many copies as they think they'll need.

There was a tweet recently from someone who'd gone into (I think) GAME, and found Shenmue I & II was sold out. They asked the staff if that meant it had sold really well, and was told instead that they hadn't bothered getting many copies in "because no one remembers those games."

Game near my work had several cases on the shelf and said it had done ok. They were surprised it was no 2 in its first week though.

My local GAME still has a couple in stock

Having worked in retail GAME and other firms usually try and predict demand and order accordingly they have stats people that look at all these trends so order accordingly. Shenmue is a law to itself given the high profile presence on social media. It defied those predictions. Even Sega were shocked at the preorder numbers.

My 17 year old cousin bought a copy last weekend. She played it on my Dreamcast for a couple of hours a few years ago and enjoyed it. She’s trying to get one of her friends to buy a copy.

Seventeen is the same age I first played it too. [tears]

Is there any way to tell how many 'copies' Steam has sold?

Just a heads up everyone but NPD will be releasing US sales data on September 18, which is tomorrow, so we'll very shortly find out how Shenmue did in the US. They traditionally release their data around 11pm BST which is about 24 hours from the time of this post. Given Shenmue hit number 2 in the UK we should expect something similar in the US. Hopefully.

We find out tomorrow. Hopefully Shenmue has charted and charted quite highly.

Just a heads up everyone but NPD will be releasing US sales data on September 18, which is tomorrow, so we'll very shortly find out how Shenmue did in the US. They traditionally release their data around 11pm BST which is about 24 hours from the time of this post. Given Shenmue hit number 2 in the UK we should expect something similar in the US. Hopefully.

We find out tomorrow. Hopefully Shenmue has charted and charted quite highly.

I would like to reiterate my earlier post that NPD ranks based on revenue, not units sold. That could skew the rankings down for Shenmue considering it ships at half the price of most other games that will appear on the list.

I would like to reiterate my earlier post that NPD ranks based on revenue, not units sold. That could skew the rankings down for Shenmue considering it ships at half the price of most other games that will appear on the list.

Excellent note dude. Yeah that should definitely be taken in to account when we see the data tomorrow.

To be perfectly honest I'd just be happy to see Shenmue anywhere in the charts at all. I'm super interested to see its performance in the US given America was the Dreamcast's strongest region. There should be a lot of Shenmue love there that will hopefully translate to strong sales. The Dreamcast was a non-entity in the UK, absolutely obliterated by the PS2, and Shenmue still managed a resurgence coming in at #2. So in the US Shenmue should theoretically chart.

We'll see tomorrow. Most important data outside of Sega announcing a milestone themselves.

For the reason breakYODAy mentioned, I think it'll be extraordinarily impressive if the game charts at all. To be on a level playing field it sounds like everyone would have to buy two copies, just like the good old days... ;)

The Dreamcast was a non-entity in the UK, absolutely obliterated by the PS2

The PS2 obliterated the Dreamcast in every region. I don’t know where the idea that the Dreamcast did any worse in the UK comes from. It sold about as well there as it did here or in the US when you scale fo the population. That they opted to release S2 in the pal regions and not the US shows that if anything, the DC had a longer shelf life and more stable player base in Europe than it did in the US.

Americans also prefer things to be simpler and so I would expect UK gamers to respond a lot better to the Shenmue series than Americans. If you look at the proportion of Dreamcast owners that purchased the original Shenmue in Europe and Japan, it’s considerably higher than North America.

If I had to guess, I think there will be more copies of the ports sold in the UK alone than in the US regardless of price.

Is there any way to tell how many 'copies' Steam has sold?

According to SteamSpy, there's 20k or less owners of the game. They're not as accurate as they used to be since Steam blocked the method they previously used to gather data. That being said, it still provides a close enough approximation of sales numbers.

https://steamspy.com/app/758330

According to SteamSpy, there's 20k or less owners of the game. They're not as accurate as they used to be since Steam blocked the method they previously used to gather data. That being said, it still provides a close enough approximation of sales numbers.

https://steamspy.com/app/758330

Hmm that's interesting. How would that be the case as it was in the top selling games for ages. Anyway as you say the method they use isn't totally accurate. Are there any other ways of finding out?

i'm pretty sure the only way to figure out the real official sales numbers
is if Sega or some shop like Amazon, or a official chart list would tell us the numbers.

everything else like SteamSpy, VGChartz and so on are just estimated and inaccurate
with no real official reference source.

if you look for official Yakuza sales numbers, the only real source is directly from Sega
and those numbers are mostly for the asian regions only.

Sega posted news for the sales numbers of Yakuza 6 because it is the best selling Yakuza title in the west.
i'm pretty sure Sega Europe / US will stay quiet if the numbers are not stunning.

RANKINGS
Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel, ranked on dollar sales
  1. Madden NFL 19 ^
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Mario Kart 8*
  6. Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  7. God of War
  8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  10. Super Mario Odyssey*
  11. Minecraft
  12. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  13. Far Cry 5
  14. Monster Hunter: Generations Ultimate*
  15. Call of Duty: WWII
  16. Mario Tennis Aces*
  17. Overwatch ^
  18. Lego The Incredibles
  19. We Happy Few*
  20. The Crew 2

* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

Xbox One
  1. Madden NFL 19
  2. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  5. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  6. Overwatch
  7. Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  8. Far Cry 5
  9. Call of Duty: WWII
  10. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017
PS4
  1. Madden NFL 19
  2. God of War
  3. Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  6. Horizon Zero Dawn
  7. Detroit: Become Human
  8. Far Cry 5
  9. MLB 18: The Show
  10. We Happy Few*
Welp...

Yeah I was very disappointed last night to see that Shenmue didn't chart in the US via NPD. I didn't post because I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news. I did ask in the thread on ResetERA about it and apparently Shenmue having limited days on sale in terms of NPD's tracking (final days of August) in conjunction with NPD tracking revenue and not unit sales with Shenmue's re-release being a budget title obliterated its chances. As in, the game could have still sold well, it's just the way that NPD records its data via revenue means that Shenmue didn't stand a chance. At a guess it probably mirrored its performance in the UK and Australia, it's just that NPD won't reveal true performance based on the way they determine their chart.

I think if it hits a million eventually Sega will inevitably let us know, and shout something like that from the rooftops.

it shouldnt be a big surprise that games like the newest Madden, God of War, GTA 5 and Far Cry 5
made more money than Shenmue. those are some of the biggest titles in the gaming industry
with the biggest promotion budget. a game like the new God of War sold over 3 mil copies in three days,
the Crash Bandicoot N Sane trilogy has one of the highest sales numbers of a remaster/remake ever.
GTA 5 sold more than 90 mil copies in total.

there is no way that the Shenmue HD version could keep up with those sales numbers. that would be insane.

Back