Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

There definitely are, especially in the PS4 version of Shenmue I. The volume balancing in that game needs a complete overhaul. I'm really surprised and saddened that it looks like Sega might be done patching the games.
Also, the songs ‘Recieve a Skill to Advance’ and the nameless song sometimes referred to as ‘Xiuying’s Theme’ have missing/switched midi instruments and layers. The instance of Xuiying’s Theme I am referring to can be heard in the first game, in the very final cutscene right before Ryo boards the ship for China.

Seeing as that these are my two favorite tracks in the game, my enjoyment was significantly hindered by the alterations.

Also, the songs ‘Recieve a Skill to Advance’ and the nameless song sometimes referred to as ‘Xiuying’s Theme’ have missing/switched midi instruments and layers. The instance of Xuiying’s Theme I am referring to can be heard in the first game, in the very final cutscene right before Ryo boards the ship for China.

Seeing as that these are my two favorite tracks in the game, my enjoyment was significantly hindered by the alterations.
Yes, I completely agree with you about Xiuying's theme not sounding quite right in certain spots! As you put it, it sounds like it's missing a MIDI layer or something. It's subtle, but it does affect the impact of the music in my opinion. I never saw anyone else mention it though, so I thought I was the only one who noticed. It's one of my favorite tracks in the series as well.

Always forget the music in the notebook for S2 is wonky, although I always thought it was louder than S1, even on Dreamcast, plus I don't use headphones or even amplifier speakers and have bad hearing.

It's definitely way louder than it was on Dreamcast or Xbox. I do find it annoying but it doesn't bother me too much. I can see how much it would suck for someone using headphones though.

I'm not really sure why d3t didn't implement a fix for that a long time ago. It's a prerecorded audio file, right? Not a MIDI track being generated by the hardware's sound chip? It seems like it would be very easy to just lower the damn volume.

Still crossing my fingers after their back from holiday during January. Worst case, near mid-Summer, it might interest Sega to ride the Shenmue 3 hype by releasing another patch; I imagine they'll want to sell the most copies as possible. At the very least the hit-box issue, if not fixing the dialogue/music hiccups (pipe dream is a save transfer, but I believe it needs to be done by YSnet?)

We haven't gotten anything since the Nov 22 Japanese release? Aren't Sega Japan taking bug reports, as well? Wouldn't there be at least one more patch somewhat soon either from AM2 (err, whatever teem Eigo Kasahara leads now?), or by D3T. Optimistically confident at least one more patch will come, soon enough.

Also wanted to mention that the audio clicking and popping at the beginning/end of most of the Japanese voice audio in the first game significantly impacted my enjoyment of the game, and still hope it will be fixed. I play with headphones so to me it is very audible.

What I'd say is keep reporting them across all versions and regions.

I had my hitbox report passed on so presumably they're keeping track.

A steady flow of reports might be enough to let them know things aren't quite finished with sorting the games.

If no more patches are coming then I think some communication has to happen to confirm this. Yes it would not be the news we want but at least we'd know. Silence winds people up more.

This is what they said to me today.

Screenshot_20181231-112728_Chrome.jpg

Honestly, this might reveal the fact that I haven't really played Shenmue, only watched it, but to me the biggest problem right now is the lack of Japanese audio timing. This seems like a huge oversight, especially given the patches were basically just QA testing for the Japanese version. Pretty sure the Japanese audience is gonna notice that way more than us.

Is the audio timing issue present in II as well?

I don't think it affects the Japanese release, as that version doesn't have the English audio at all to my knowledge.

It still affects the Japanese release as it still uses the English timings despite not having the English audio at all.

If the english version they used as a base for the HD port had a completly different timing from the japanese version, they probably didn't want to do QA over for dealing with the japanese version of these scenes proper. (Seeing how the port was lacking in QA in the first place.)

This isn't the first time I've seen something like this...the MGS HD Collection is generally a really good collection of HD ports but the second game in particular originally had different lip movement for both the japanese and english VA...and they ended up using the english lip sync for the japanese HD release...even though no version had dual-audio.

Are there no more updates for this game?
What happened?
This game is still not bug-free at least similar level to original.

Are there no more updates for this game?
What happened?
This game is still not bug-free at least similar level to original.
D3T are work for hire, and would not be able to continue on the game indefinitely. Seems the Japanese release was basically the deadline for getting as much sewn up as possible before the contract with SEGA ended.

If people want further patches the pressure should be put on SEGA from here on out, as long as it is done respectfully and maturely. SEGA have been known to patch games after the fact on occasion.

Back