Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

Its obvious from the demo that this isnt Ryo's first time meeting the people of Bailu, they arent all super cosy or anything but they know Ryo is Shenhua's friend, so there is some familiarity at least. Dont have a problem with Ryo saying yo to a couple people he's seen around, that he is on a first name basis with.

Yea, and to add to that, It's just a small mountain valley village. It doesn't take long for everyone to get to know everyone in such a place.

Especially if she let it slip he saved her from the river. That would tend to make them like him a bit more.

Yea exactly, and considering how friendly they are being to someone they expect to end up taking Shenhua away, yea I'm pretty sure she told them, that Ryo saver her.

Finally got around to playing this tonight! Had been travelling from the 26th to the 8th without my gaming laptop, then had work today, then girlfriend came over... Finally got around to playing at 11pm.

And it was fun :) I might spend a bit more time with it to get the hang of the combat, but overall I'm pleased. A bit taxing on my laptop (i7-6700HQ, 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM), I can get 50-60fps at 720p on High, seems to be about 40-50 when I bump it up to Very High. Hopefully more advanced graphical options in the final game. Walking and running need work in terms of animations and control, not sure why R Trigger isn't analogue like it was in the old games.

Not long to go now, and looking forward to the 19th :)

Finally got around to playing this tonight! Had been travelling from the 26th to the 8th without my gaming laptop, then had work today, then girlfriend came over... Finally got around to playing at 11pm.

And it was fun :) I might spend a bit more time with it to get the hang of the combat, but overall I'm pleased. A bit taxing on my laptop (i7-6700HQ, 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM), I can get 50-60fps at 720p on High, seems to be about 40-50 when I bump it up to Very High. Hopefully more advanced graphical options in the final game. Walking and running need work in terms of animations and control, not sure why R Trigger isn't analogue like it was in the old games.

Not long to go now, and looking forward to the 19th :)
Meaning why you can't run a bit faster or slower? Not sure, but it didn't impact much. Plus in 3 you'll want to walk a lot. Herbs and all. Maybe the trigger will have the full function in the full.

Ryo's running animation is a bit janky but his actual movement is pretty nice in my opinion. Even without analogue speed he's much easier to control than in the original games. Much tighter turning radius and proper camera control make all the difference.
I'm with you, and honestly think I'd rather it be this way. Played a few too many games with a lot of priority in demonstrating the quality of the walk/run cycle animation, but make it feel like the character is either sliding on ice or I'm driving a cruise liner.

To me at least, Ryo's walk animation is absolutely good enough considering he's responsive and maneuverable.

I'm fine with Ryo's run except when going down stairs, I think that looks too goofy.

Well after 19 years I got to play the sequel!! (demo). A kind soul on reddit gifted me a code, and then I had to play on my friends PC (I'm a Mac). Kind friend.

Thoughts:

+(obligatory) "feels" like shenmue (it really really really really does)
+Graphics look gorgeous to me and I play modern triple AAA games (RDR2, Uncharted 4, etc.._
+Love the English voice-overs
+LOVE LOVE the combat. All the reviews here had me a bit worried. I liked it more than what I thought was "janky" sporadic combat in Shenmue 1+2. This is more serious love to martial arts than 1+2 were. (I've played them over 30 times at least).
+LOVE one inch punch/wood chopping/horse stance (this game feels like a great meditation).
+music sounds great
+night time
+overall love inventory and love having to eat things to stay healthy
-dont love the system to look at items in your inventory/or when you get a capsule (you can't look at it much)
-miss some of the more over the top VO's like the roll it on top guy (they are still over the top, but some were more muted)
-the one song that plays over and over in the demo gets a bit old. Always welcome when you walk into another area.

Anyway thats all for now. It's totally living up to my expectations in every way. I didn't want to stop playing.

Well after 19 years I got to play the sequel!! (demo). A kind soul on reddit gifted me a code, and then I had to play on my friends PC (I'm a Mac). Kind friend.

Thoughts:

+(obligatory) "feels" like shenmue (it really really really really does)
+Graphics look gorgeous to me and I play modern triple AAA games (RDR2, Uncharted 4, etc.._
+Love the English voice-overs
+LOVE LOVE the combat. All the reviews here had me a bit worried. I liked it more than what I thought was "janky" sporadic combat in Shenmue 1+2. This is more serious love to martial arts than 1+2 were. (I've played them over 30 times at least).
+LOVE one inch punch/wood chopping/horse stance (this game feels like a great meditation).
+music sounds great
+night time
+overall love inventory and love having to eat things to stay healthy
-dont love the system to look at items in your inventory/or when you get a capsule (you can't look at it much)
-miss some of the more over the top VO's like the roll it on top guy (they are still over the top, but some were more muted)
-the one song that plays over and over in the demo gets a bit old. Always welcome when you walk into another area.

Anyway thats all for now. It's totally living up to my expectations in every way. I didn't want to stop playing.
I'm so glad more do try combat for themselves. That E3 video is no substitute. Try to go on YouTube discussing the combat demo 6+ minutes, and comment there. That needs to be shared to the max amounts of those interested, but on the fence not understanding combat.

Seems like the gulp of fresh air after so many copy and pasta open world that follows the ubi/GTA formula is very well echo across many impressions. I really hope it translates to enough sales to get this Saga to the end.
Gonna stick up for the latest Ubisoft game. Not the horrible previous ones. Odyssey combines the best others tried doing, but did it badly, and does it all in a one full awesome package. Greek mythology, Greek history. Talking to the legends you grew up reading about. Doing quests for them, while understanding their philosophy. If you refused to play it simply because it's AC, it's not AC, it just has some elements from the previous games. I'd say a fan of Shenmue should be able to enjoy Odyssey a lot.

Gonna stick up for the latest Ubisoft game. Not the horrible previous ones. Odyssey combines the best others tried doing, but did it badly, and does it all in a one full awesome package. Greek mythology, Greek history. Talking to the legends you grew up reading about. Doing quests for them, while understanding their philosophy. If you refused to play it simply because it's AC, it's not AC, it just has some elements from the previous games. I'd say a fan of Shenmue should be able to enjoy Odyssey a lot.
The latest Ubi game is Ghost Recon: Break Point and people hated it.

The latest Ubi game is Ghost Recon: Break Point and people hated it.
Actually I'm gonna try Ancestors. I think it looks a lot of fun. Negatives seem from exactly the type of people hating Shenmue.
Man is Epic Store cool for buying. PayPal did all, zero info. Even my password was already saved. The full game loaded in what? 10 minutes? I'm stunned. The demo loaded fast, but this is full. It uses 100% of my broadband I guess vs the other launchers I've used. Elder Scrolls online updates can take a freaking hour. Updates, not full. Guys, look at Epic. Ancestors is another exclusive on it. I'll let you know if it's good at least as per me. I think Steam will have some real competition. They just need 1 or 2 features, that's all.

Last edited:
Just went into the demo to check how some .ini file tweaks ran... and ended up playing it to completion.

At this point it feels like fighting an addiction.
The worst part was after a few days of it, all my work on moves, all the sparring, into nothing. I started another game for this month I was interested in. Give me the full game, too heart breaking.

Back