Shenmue III | The Story goes on - Launch Trailer

Still trying to hold off of spoilers around here, but had to chime in one one brilliant thing about this trailer:

I teared up at the juxtaposition of Ryo fighting Mr. Muscles as Shenhua notes "people are looking for it anyway, continuing the cycle of pain." Why did Ryo ever have to get involved in all of this agony? Nonetheless, Ren sticks by him in the face of this horrid, harrowing quest: "Here we go..."
(Of course, it helps that they chose the more emotionally plucking string rendition of the main theme.)

Yeah, I will accept no Eric Kelso slander lol, his take on Ren was awesome. On that same note, I think it's less of a universal feeling, but I really love Lisle Wilkerson's take on Xiuying and Yuan (even though the Japanese version is better simply for not being genderbent). Her Joy is okay, but they really had her read some of those lines weird ("Here in Hong Kong..." etc.).

I don't think you can blame budget on this one, this has to be a deliberate choice to make the game sound like this.
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing/reading a Corey Marshall interview where he stated that they deliberately told him to speak exactly like he did for S1/S2 to keep it the same.

Are you kidding? Eric Kelso is one of my favorites of the series... especially Ren and Guizhang.
Everyone always remembers Eric Kelso, but spare a thought for Ryan Drees, the real star of the English dub, now living hand to mouth, begging for scraps on the back streets of Tokyo, spending any ill-gotten money he can get his hands on in the nearest izakaya, before stumbling out drunk in the early hours, shouting to the world that he used to be someone, he used to be the voice of Tom Johnson, dagnabbit!

People actually watch those channels?

Unfortunately. They have everything from 50k subscribers to millions. I too watch one of them for my daily dose of news. For whatever reason most are very negative towards Shenmue III

All these new comers are good to see. It sounds like the Shenmue games have been bringing in a lot of new people to the series :)

More keep popping up every day, and you must imagine there are way, way, way more people who aren't in a position to make videos for Youtube, so yea.

All these new comers are good to see. It sounds like the Shenmue games have been bringing in a lot of new people to the series :)

More keep popping up every day, and you must imagine there are way, way, way more people who aren't in a position to make videos for Youtube, so yea.

Here is my favorite vid from a newcomer who fell in love with 1 & 2. A well presented, well edited video describing his love for the games despite having little nostalgia for them!!

Yeah I've got the feeling it'll do relatively well for the investors. The bar isn't that high for a profit right? Whatever Cedric threw in the pot to kick things off. The money raised from the backer campaigns which seem to be the meat of the investment. Then whatever was needed from Deep Silver and Epic to get over the last hurdle. Seems easy enough for Cedric, DS, and Epic to make what they put in and then some, but I don't want to jinx it.

Here is my favorite vid from a newcomer who fell in love with 1 & 2. A well presented, well edited video describing his love for the games despite having little nostalgia for them!!

Whoops yea forget to post this one(found the Corey Marshall interview right after seeing that, and it was a 2h interview, so um yea), I did thumbs up it though.

I think I replied to that one too if I recall. For a critique review, it was pretty well done, with no hyperbola nonsense, but he did make a mistake. His statement about NPCs not having real agenda/quests tied to such, is only barely valid in the 1st game(although there's a slight exception, be it so minor). However in the 2nd game that critique is very much not valid, but It's very easy for new comers to miss, so It's a understandable mistake.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about how Ren's role changed from S2? At the time he was just thinking of following Ryo in his journey for the $$$ he could make of the mirrors, but we see in this trailer he is kicking down together with Ryo of the Dojo where Lan Di is, placing himself literally in mortal danger, while definitely being aware that this will be nothing like the Don Niu fight and the chances of them getting out alive, if we think logically are near zero, but he still goes ahead with it. Quite admirable I think :)

What do you guys think about how Ren's role changed from S2? At the time he was just thinking of following Ryo in his journey for the $$$ he could make of the mirrors, but we see in this trailer he is kicking down together with Ryo of the Dojo where Lan Di is, placing himself literally in mortal danger, while definitely being aware that this will be nothing like the Don Niu fight and the chances of them getting out alive, if we think logically are near zero, but he still goes ahead with it. Quite admirable I think :)

Well the whole going for the money/treasure was a facade. Infct how is acts ingeneral is, It's no doubt largely because he's hanging around the underground, and is even the leader of a gang.

Back