Shenmue III will be at Gamescom 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the technicalities no longer matter. Any wiff of wrongdoing towards backers and the usual suspects will be having a meltdown/field day.
While most of us dont massively care about the demo as such, from what I gather at least, it would be a massive PR misstep if they didn't give it to backers first.

While most of us dont massively care about the demo as such, from what I gather at least, it would be a massive PR misstep if they didn't give it to backers first.
Is it worth communicating this to them now, so that they know about the potential issues that may arise if they make the demo payable at Gamescom first? It's obvious to us but they do seem a bit oblivious

thats true but we know what will happen if Shenmue 3 is playable at Gamescom
but not for backers at home. even if the feedback at Gamescom would be super positive,
it will still be overshadowed by the negativity on the internet. it will be the same thing again,
i can already smell the Youtube videos and articles about the next "Shenmue KS scam".

if YS Net and DS will say something like "the backer demo will be released before the retail release date,
so backers can check out the game before the retail release date"
but the game was already playable in August at Gamescom -
it will backfire.

I'm fairly convinced at this stage that anything less than Yu Suzuki personally solving world hunger and creating a cure for cancer will result in a cries of "scam" from a small but vocal sector of the gaming community.

I will concede that the team do need to clarify the trial situation reasonably soon though.

Is it worth communicating this to them now, so that they know about the potential issues that may arise if they make the demo payable at Gamescom first? It's obvious to us but they do seem a bit oblivious
It might be worth some gentle pushing on social media. The situation is very difficult as on the one hand we want to let them know what we feel is best for the series. On the other some might see it as the fanbase not trusting Deep Silver (which I must admit has become harder given recent events) and be seen as meddling.

As I said, backers weren't promised a demo. It really depends what they intended a "trial" to be or mean.

Although, I must admit, I have a hunch neither Yu Suzuki or his team had a clue what they wanted a trial version to be when they added it as a reward. I have a suspicion that they were winging a large part of the whole Kickstarter thing and figured they would work out the details closer to release.

It might be worth some gentle pushing on social media. The situation is very difficult as on the one hand we want to let them know what we feel is best for the series. On the other some might see it as the fanbase not trusting Deep Silver (which I must admit has become harder given recent events) and be seen as meddling.
That's understandable, but so far their decision making have been questionable to say the least. All we're trying to do is to avoid another backlash.

I do not care about the demo, Have not back enough to get it anyway and even I had I would not be that interested in it. Never was a demo guy to be honest but the demo is another minefield for the outrage culture in the internet.

They promised it so backers should get it that is quite clear but I just wonder if they can deliver it in time? The outrage people always tend to forget or ignore the reality of business. The day Shenmue 3 became a real game with a publisher in the industry it has to follow the rules of the internet.

And the industry cherish official gaming events more than a promise to some random people in the internet. The industry goes there were most of the cash is. And industry events are no competition to kickstarter people that backed the game once and now think they own the whole game and have the right to decide everything.

They should get the demo, and i really hope they do, but it is still annoying that some of these people ignore the reality of business.

I am sure they demo has not been released yet because Yu and his team are super evil and they do not respect the backers.

I am quite sure, that just some video game industry related business decisions prevented the demo from the release.

'Twould be a misstep indeed if the demo ends up being the same one on the Gamescom floor, but it may not be.

This is the time to really show off the game, though. YsNet got the financial and time injection to really put some refinement and polish in the game.

This team, obviously, is very small and works as such. We have seen incremental improvements in every build leading up to E3.

Any developer can tell you that a lot happens in the last 5-6 months of development. You can read their statements of that in many places online around the web.

We really need to see the fruits of this extra time at Gamescom. It is amazing what a little texturing and lighting can do for a game(see Bloodstained for that) in the crunch, or even some AAA titles out there.

There really isn't any time left, nor any margin for error with PR missteps regarding backer trials coming up.

Many media outlets and clickbait-esque YouTubers are just chomping at the bit, waiting for the next opportunity to fire off about something not necessarily accurate to hurt the series they seem to love to hate.

It's like Denzel Washington said to a reporter once about those kinds of articles:

"If you don't read it, you're uninformed. If you do read it, you're misinformed. ....Just get it out there, we don't care who it hurts, we don't care who we destroy, we don't care if it's true. Just say it! Sell it!"

If Deep Silver and YS Net are going to have any kind of playable demo at Gamescom, I really hope they will release it to backers before. And also they shouldn't get all technical about the wording with the words "trial" or "demo". They can only lose if they choose to go down that road.

At this point, we're not the first people in the world to play the game anyways... How would having it playable at Gamescom change anything in that regard? The important thing is that regular consumers and the wider public do not get to play Shenmue 3 at the same time as backers.

It's not Ys Net's or Deep Silver's fault that people were dumb enough to take that strapline so pedantically literally or that they assumed a trial version = demo.

At this point, we're not the first people in the world to play the game anyways... How would having it playable at Gamescom change anything in that regard? The important thing is that regular consumers and the wider public do not get to play Shenmue 3 at the same time as backers.

It's not Ys Net's or Deep Silver's fault that people were dumb enough to take that strapline so pedantically literally or that they assumed a trial version = demo.

Yeah, but it was their word that "you'll play Shenmue III before anyone else in the world". While I understand it may not apply to the press... Well... The public on the other hand...

Maybe it's also good to stop acting as if Deep Silver and YsNet can do no wrong.

I agree, what matter the most is the final game. But it doesn't mean they didn't promise something.

Also sorry but how is it dumb to think "trial = demo" ? Those are litterally synonyme. Trial version always refer to a demo version.

This is exactly what Deep Silver and YS Net need to avoid. If they come at people like "A trial is not a demo.", it will make Ds and /or YS Net look like pedantic assholes, not the internet trolls. You can't beat the Dreamcast Guys and Jim Sterlings at their own game.

i guess the problem is that the trial version was a Kickstarter thing when there was no publisher,
so YS Net probably thought it would be a nice gesture to let backers check out the game a little bit
before it releases because there wont be any / many chances to promote or show this game
and this would be the only way to really see or experience the game for the first time.

i think they never clarified if this trial thing would be a alpha or beta demo or
if its a sneak peek a couple of days before the final game releases.
maybe they never thought about it. then the game got a publisher and was delayed three times, got way more ambitious
and now Shenmue 3 fits exactly into Deep Silvers / Koch Medias Gamescom presentation.
so now what? we dont know what this trial version is about, we dont know what the GC version is about,
we dont know if they will create the playable GC version just a couple of days before the event starts to polish it
or if its just the E3 behind closed doors demo ... in a newer version? will backers get the same E3 demo
and GC visitors something completely different?
there are so many options because it was never clarified what the trial version is.

even if YS Nets plan always was to release the trial version just a couple of days before the final release,
this wont work anymore if Shenmue 3 is playable at Gamescom. people will be pissed 100%.
but honestly i wouldnt be surprised if Shenmue 3 is playable at Gamescom and backers dont get anything in August.
we know the KS track record of this project.

Also sorry but how is it dumb to think "trial = demo" ? Those are litterally synonyme. Trial version always refer to a demo version.

They're similar, but are not the same. A demo, short for demonstration, is an example of a product. A trial suggests a more substantial test of various systems within the game and could mean something entirely different. A demo usually takes a 'piece' of the game (one of the the first levels, the first quests, whatever) and allows people to try part of something that will be in the final game. A trial suggests something different, which could be as simple as providing areas to explore, different scenarios and mini games to explore, without spoiling any story scenarios. Or it could be the case of providing an early version of the game to backers a week before release, to 'trial' a final version of the game.

Also, this idea that those of us who are a little more rational and don't get our knickers in a twist every day worrying about what the hypothetical impact hypothetical situations can have on creating fake controversies, means we feel Deep Silver/Ys can do no wrong really is tiresome. I literally made a post a couple of hours ago tearing the trailers released so far to shreds, explaining what I would do differently to market the game.

Edit: https://support.gamesessions.com/hc...-s-the-difference-between-a-trial-and-a-demo-
http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-trial-product-and-demo-product

Last edited:
I think that post is someone trolling. I wouldn't be surprised if my speculation that a trial version of the game will simply be the full game released early is correct (in software terms, trial and demo terminology can be used interchangeably, but more often are not), but they're not dumb enough to make it just one day early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back