Shenmue III will be in Weekly Famitsu [Thurs, 11th April]

I'm saying what's wrong with a neutral look during this specific instance? Ryo might indeed have an obsessive amount of character detail during actual forklifting gameplay like the examples you've given, or he may not, but what does it matter if he's staring directly ahead with a neutral expression while sat in a parked forklift?

It just feels like an unfair criticism over the teeniest, tiniest thing.
I personally don't even see it as a criticism, just pointing something out that may or may not have any effect on anything. I can't speak for the other guy...
I wasn't making any sort of criticism

Thanks, @Switch! I found this part interesting:

In combat, your strongest moves are set automatically, and they can be carried out with simple button commands. Even in the case of beginner players, moves can be unleashed using shortcuts, so that mashing buttons should get them by eventually.

I wonder if the bolded part is referring to all players, and not just beginner players? It sounds like it because he seems to talk more specifically about beginner players in the next sentence.

If so, it means that even in Manual Transmission mode players can set moves...? Could this potentially mean Ryo has a limited number of move slots, in the vein of an RPG?

:unsure:

I wonder if the bolded part is referring to all players, and not just beginner players?
Generally, that sounds like how Automatic Transmission mode works, based on how it was described at MAGIC:

In the image you can see the words "Tornado Kick". In 3, you can of course choose which moves you want in battle. But for beginners, and people who prefer to fight more simply, there is a shortcut command. This system lets you perform a move easily, without having to enter the full command. Towards the top are the letters "AT", which stands for Automatic.

With the AT mode, beginners don't have to worry about what to press. In the game you can obtain various types of moves, and the system automatically registers the top 5 or so of your most effective ones which you can execute simply with a single click.

For people who want to fight in the more usual technical way, there's "MT", which stands for Manual Transmission, which is the manual mode. With the MT mode, after obtaining various moves, you can put together a deck of your favorites that you've trained in.

Though like Shenmue II, I'm expecting there will be moves with shared inputs, meaning you'll be able to "build" your moveset with favourites like the last part states.

Funny they mention the tackle shop in Aberdeen. For me, I always wanted to be a fisherman at the harbor as an alternative to forklift. Full circle now. Can't wait for more crates and now fishing for myself!

Last edited:
Though like Shenmue II, I'm expecting there will be moves with shared inputs, meaning you'll be able to "build" your moveset with favourites like the last part states.
Maybe that's all it is. But due to the combat being described as having more "puzzle solving" elements this time round, and the fact there seems to be health(?)/stamina(?) drinks you can consume during battle, I've had a suspicion there's going to be more to it than simply beefing your stats and unlocking new moves.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are other RPG-like elements to the combat. The combat inventory in Yakuza, for example, forces you to choose a limited number of items to go into battle with. What if there are "special" moves, that are more powerful than the rest, or that only work against certain style of martial arts, and you need to pick and choose outside of battle?

Just spit-balling here.

Maybe that's all it is. But due to the combat being described as having more "puzzle solving" elements this time round, and the fact there seems to be health(?)/stamina(?) drinks you can consume during battle, I've had a suspicion there's going to be more to it than simply beefing your stats and unlocking new moves.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are other RPG-like elements to the combat. The combat inventory in Yakuza, for example, forces you to choose a limited number of items to go into battle with. What if there are "special" moves, that are more powerful than the rest, or that only work against certain style of martial arts, and you need to pick and choose outside of battle?

Just spit-balling here.
Maybe.

I'm just pointing out for that specific quote it sounds like he's almost entirely talking about AT mode, without calling it by name.

Just in case people start panicking over the "five moves" part and thinking that's literally all Ryo can equip even in MT mode.

Maybe.

I'm just pointing out for that specific quote it sounds like he's almost entirely talking about AT mode, without calling it by name.

Just in case people start panicking over the "five moves" part and thinking that's literally all Ryo can equip even in MT mode.

To expand upon that in Monaco Yu went into some depth around both of the fighting mechanics.

Automatic is as described in the interviews we've seen including Famitsu.

Manual is exactly that. Each move will have a sequence you input to execute the desired move, much like the old games but within the new fighting engine they have built.

As Spags said nothing to worry about.

But due to the combat being described as having more "puzzle solving" elements this time round

This is going back a fair while now, but I think the "puzzle solving" thing was always a bit of a mistranslation that took on a life of its own.

As they say, a lie (or in this case a simple error) is half way round the world before the truth has its shoes on.

This is going back a fair while now, but I think the "puzzle solving" thing was always a bit of a mistranslation that took on a life of its own.

As they say, a lie (or in this case a simple error) is half way round the world before the truth has its shoes on.
It's also what I'd call a "Yu-ism", where he sometimes talks about mechanics in abstract rather than literal terms.

The fact Ryo can take on martial artists with more exotic styles if he builds up his move repertoire would fall under "puzzle solving", but isn't like... a literal puzzle.

I cannot wait for this game. More RPG elements I will just get so caught up in, putting in hours of gameplay, well before progressing the story. I cannot wait for the end of August. This is my perfect Shenmue 3.

It sounds like my hope of a "Shenmue 2" experience at the beginning will also happen. I didn't give a shit and ran out of school when my friend Ray told me Shenmue 2 was released for the Dreamcast. I had it pre-ordered for ages, and it was due to come out on a specific date. But because of the Dreamcast dying, or perhaps the release date was just moved, it was released about a week earlier, and when I was told, I bolted! When I got home and played it, I got as far as checking into the Come Over Guest House, and once I had done that, it was time to live this game. Time to explore. For the rest of the day I worked the Lucky Hit stand at the bottom of the street, and since it was new, enjoying every minute of it! Just living in this world, not progressing the story. I can see the exact same thing happening with Shenmue 3. Get the early story cut-scenes out of the way, then spend hours just living in the world. That is Shenmue to me.

I cannot wait as well. Shenmue 3 is the only 2019 Release game I am really waiting for. My only most wanted left for 2019. The Thing with the RPG Elements is nice throwback to initial pre release News about Shenmue 1 btw. There were also rumors that there will be many RPG Elements included. It seems that in Shenmue 3 Yu-San finally made it to include this Elements.

I also really like the rural Setting of Shenmue 3.

Oh I see. So facial animations were mentioned at least according to the Google Translation. Now I am really curious what Switch is saying about it .It is really great that we have experts like Switch here in the Forum..

The fact Ryo can take on martial artists with more exotic styles if he builds up his move repertoire would fall under "puzzle solving", but isn't like... a literal puzzle.
Yeah, I'm not talking about literal puzzle solving, simply other elements that may factor into combat.

For example, most combat-focussed games nowadays have skill trees, load-outs, critical/heat bars to charge, combo chains, powerful skills with cool-downs etc. Even pure fighting games have some of this stuff now. We know there's a consumable something during combat, so maybe there are other systems at play we don't know about yet?

I'm not saying it should have any of this stuff, and I realise the combat will be relatively similar to the old system (at least it seems that way, with moves coming across from the old games, similar animation style etc.), but I don't think that automatically rules out something like a combo system*.

*To clarify, I mean pulling off successive moves without getting hit. I know there won't be actual forward back back kick combos.

Last edited:
Back