Shenmue III will be "playable at E3" for press

My skepicism is just as valid as any optimism, as thinking it will be there playable for public, without evidence, is also jumping the gun. But we wiil see.
I should also point out I didn't say it would be playable publicly, because the likelihood is that it won't be - because:

- E3 is an industry trade show that has gone through periods of having the public attend only in a limited capacity, and with caveats (literally ring-fenced Doritos n' Dew-sponsored events away from the real thing one year). It is primarily for industry members who book private or group meetings with publishers and developers to see and play upcoming games.

- Not even a fraction of games present and even playable at E3 are available on the show floor, because booth space is expensive and incredibly limited unless you are a major player. Most games are seen and played in the meeting rooms lining the conference hall and show floor.

None of this is Shenmue III specific. This is how the event has worked since basically forever.

The point I am making however, is that there is basically no way this is the only Shenmue III thing at E3 this year. It's not optimism, it's logic and honestly, common sense.

Yeah, the idea that less than 3 months out from launch, they wouldn't be using the biggest video game marketing event of the year as a MAJOR way of building up hype is a bit foolish. Everybody involved has been in the industry long enough to know that missing the public's perspective of E3 this close to launch for any reason might as well be saying, "Our game still looks shit, don't buy it." That's not going to happen.

Man, both June 11 - 13 and August 27 seem like dates that are an eternity away.

I should also point out I didn't say it would be playable publicly, because the likelihood is that it won't be - because:

- E3 is an industry trade show that has gone through periods of having the public attend only in a limited capacity, and with caveats (literally ring-fenced Doritos n' Dew-sponsored events away from the real thing one year). It is primarily for industry members who book private or group meetings with publishers and developers to see and play upcoming games.

- Not even a fraction of games present and even playable at E3 are available on the show floor, because booth space is expensive and incredibly limited unless you are a major player. Most games are seen and played in the meeting rooms lining the conference hall and show floor.

None of this is Shenmue III specific. This is how the event has worked since basically forever.

The point I am making however, is that there is basically no way this is the only Shenmue III thing at E3 this year. It's not optimism, it's logic and honestly, common sense.

E3 is a trade show yes, but for the last two years its been increasingly open to the public. Its become more like a mix of trade show plus comic con event.

Also disagree, its not common sense, thats ridiculous, I could have said Monaco was common sense in that they would show actual gameplay, when they stated gameplay would be there, outside press showings and 2 seconds in a trailer , but it wasnt, and neither is it common sense that E3 will show anything other tham what has already come before. That is the epitome of optimism. So many times things were expected to happen, and did not. There isnt really any evidence we should believe E3 to be any different. You are free to your opinions though, and I respect them, I just disagree and will continue to, and until anything is officially announced I will expect the same old.

Last edited:
E3 is a trade show yes, but for the last two years its been increasingly open to the public. Its become more like a mix of trade show plus comic con event.
Ah... not quite. Although they've been allowing the public to buy access to E3 since around 2015, it's still a very limited experience compared to what the press and industry members get to see and do. The show floor space is usually dominated by large publishers and the platform holders, and in many cases even they only display a very small selection of their upcoming titles (extreme example, Nintendo's 2016 E3 which was all Zelda BotW). It is a fraction of what is seen and played at E3.

Most of the work occurs in meeting rooms, closed and semi-closed booths, and theatres. Press have to book group and individual appointments for access to see games, which is pretty much how it's always worked, yadda, yadda...

Look, you're going to have your own perspective on this and that's fine, but E3 isn't PAX. Even if you buy the top-tier premium "gamer's pass" E3 are selling to the public, you just don't have the same level of access the press do, and that's because first and foremost it's an industry event. It's THE industry event, even.

Press only demos at E3 are industry standard, and E3 is still very much an event for THEM.

I'm not going to bother arguing the toss with you on the rest, you've obviously got a very deep rooted position on this and I clearly won't change your mind.

Yeah, sorry but that isn't the narrative that the actual press describes E3 as. I often read/listen to arguments from press lamenting that E3 has become too open, too hectic and it's hard for the press to get to their appointments directly due to the increasing openness of the event, during actual coverage of E3.

A friendly reminder to anyone not wanting to read various points of view on these forums, that ignore function will suit you right down to the ground. It will keep you at bay from the tone of comments you don't want to read. ?

Yeah, sorry but that isn't the narrative that the actual press describes E3 as. I often read/listen to arguments from press lamenting that E3 has become too open, too hectic and it's hard for the press to get to their appointments directly due to the increasing openness of the event, during actual coverage of E3.
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. More people literally at E3 because the ESA are trying to wring money out of gamers wanting the "E3" experience for hundreds of dollars isn't the same as them suddenly having the access and privileges press and industry attendees do. It's still their event.

At least this means we will probably see more come E3...I just want to see it running and actually being played. I don't care if I don't get to play it before hand, I just want to at least see video of it running and I guess this (maybe) confirms we're gonna see more at E3

Not trying to prove anything, we just disagree on a fundamental level, and thats alright. Hell, I want to believe but man, I just cant. If im wrong so be it, ill own it.

Anyway, I am super hyped for Easy Allies' Huber's impression, no way he skips S3 demo.

I don't think seeing footage of the exact areas/gameplay described in Edge would be disappointing at all. We haven't seen it ourselves so it's new to us. Any Shenmue III gameplay = ?

If I had to guess I'd say the backer demo will be a similarly early section of Bailu that was shown in video form to Edge, and will now be playable at E3. However, it's possible the press will get to sample Chobu as well, as it's common for two scenarios/areas to be made available in demos such as these to show a bit of variety. Just a guess, though.

It wouldn't shock me if we saw an up to date version of the press trailer that was shown behind the scenes at MAGIC. I'd be happy with that & then the press stuff at E3 is a new demo of sorts.

Then if they released the backer demo soon after so we can sample things for ourselves, it would make for a good E3 and I suspect satisfy a great deal of us. Who knows what Deep Silver have planned, their social media is engaging with the game now & I expect a real push during and after E3.

Also from the brief search around youtube I've just done, publically we didn't see that much in the ways of gameplay for Shenmue 1 or 2 until nearer release. What's Shenmue was done partly as a demo and partly becasue the original release date was missed.

Early Shenmue Trailer:
This is from Official Dreamcast Magazine in Nov 2000:
Not much actual FREE mode shown just some QTE's and the game had been out in Japan a while then. The lack of, certainly FREE gameplay, is actually in keeping with the previous games.

Nice to see Shenmue3 coming back to where it all began and it just means we can keep a keen eye on E3 and also the previews that will emerge from it :)

I do not get your point ShenmueTree but I am curious. Let's assume S3 will be at the E3 and it will be shown to the press? Why should the press hide it? Why showing something to the press if you do not want the public to know?

Can you name one game that was featured at thee E3 unknown to the public ?

Not showing something at a game trade show shortly before the Release does not make any sense.

Like Deep Silver are really going to go to the effort of going to E3, showing off Shenmue 3 to the press and not do any marketing?

The whole point of showing the game to press at E3 is coverage. Coverage = marketing. This will be the first hands-on preview of the game, so all gaming sites worth their salt will be writing their previews and, most likely, capturing video of their demo. To suggest Deep Silver would take appointments at E3, then not let the press create content based around it makes no sense.

Back