Shenmue III will be "playable at E3" for press

Wish I could go back and see my old E3 countdown signature from 2005.

Man, those were the days...

Those were the days where there was no such things as a public event. Nothing was live-streamed, and it was a case of logging online everyday and smashing F5 across various news sites, we well as here for Shenmue news. Different times too. They could release Shenmue 3 on the day of E3 and id bet every penny I have that at least one person would still moan. It's just the way it is now.

For anyone whos asked, I never said there wouldnt be press coverage. Of course there will be, I just am skeptical itll be any different from previously. To point it out further here is what I expect.

Closed door showings of the game
Interviews
Articles
New information
Video impressions (talking ovet B-Roll of trailers we have already seen)
An English version of the Monaco trailer.

Here is what I do not expect:
On or off screen footage of the game that is actually gameplay for people who arent the press.

I mean yes, E3 is bigger, and ultimately more important than previous events but until we get confirmation that we will see the actual game outside a trailer, I feel its fair for me to remain skeptical.

I understand there are many of you who disagree, and may think I am being unreasonable, and I will state again, thats completely okay. We dont all have to agree. However I do not think its fair to think my opinion is any less valid because it is a negative one instead of a positive one. Both our perspectives are based on past situtions, mine, in that the way YSNet, Shibuya Productions, & Deep Silver have previously handled every other event. Others believe that based on the weight that being at E3 carries, that it means that this time is finally the big blow out. Both perspectives are valid, but thinking the opposite of what I do is also making assumptions. In the end, we all are.

Also, id like to not have to debate this any more. I feel my original comment was pretty innocuous and garnered much more attention than it deserved. I can not feel excited as others, its not an attack personally on anyone elses excitement. Everyone is free to be exicited or skeptical as they naturally feel as long as we arent hurting each other or breaking rules. So, there it is, laid out. I dont think ill be answering any more responses that quote me regarding my original statement or further explanations of it as I feel ive adequately explained my opinion in this post. Also @Peter, while I do have a few users on ignore, theres no need for me personally to use the ignore list for anyone replying to me in this thread, as I respect their opinions, yet disagree with them. I feel that is reasonable. Maybe people may feel differently about me, and if so, by all means, do what you think is best.

Can't believe they've shadow dropped Shenmue 3 today without giving me the chance to book time off work! ???

Wow, they dropping the demo at midnight?? This is ridiculous I cant even rebook that colonoscopy iI've paid for tomorrow!! A bit of notice would have been nice. As per usual, another stupid decision from the team. This game will fail.

For anyone whos asked, I never said there wouldnt be press coverage. Of course there will be, I just am skeptical itll be any different from previously. To point it out further here is what I expect.

Closed door showings of the game
Interviews
Articles
New information
Video impressions (talking ovet B-Roll of trailers we have already seen)
An English version of the Monaco trailer.

Here is what I do not expect:
On or off screen footage of the game that is actually gameplay for people who arent the press.

I mean yes, E3 is bigger, and ultimately more important than previous events but until we get confirmation that we will see the actual game outside a trailer, I feel its fair for me to remain skeptical.

I understand there are many of you who disagree, and may think I am being unreasonable, and I will state again, thats completely okay. We dont all have to agree. However I do not think its fair to think my opinion is any less valid because it is a negative one instead of a positive one. Both our perspectives are based on past situtions, mine, in that the way YSNet, Shibuya Productions, & Deep Silver have previously handled every other event. Others believe that based on the weight that being at E3 carries, that it means that this time is finally the big blow out. Both perspectives are valid, but thinking the opposite of what I do is also making assumptions. In the end, we all are.

Also, id like to not have to debate this any more. I feel my original comment was pretty innocuous and garnered much more attention than it deserved. I can not feel excited as others, its not an attack personally on anyone elses excitement. Everyone is free to be exicited or skeptical as they naturally feel as long as we arent hurting each other or breaking rules. So, there it is, laid out. I dont think ill be answering any more responses that quote me regarding my original statement or further explanations of it as I feel ive adequately explained my opinion in this post. Also @Peter, while I do have a few users on ignore, theres no need for me personally to use the ignore list for anyone replying to me in this thread, as I respect their opinions, yet disagree with them. I feel that is reasonable. Maybe people may feel differently about me, and if so, by all means, do what you think is best.

Respect your opinion, and we shall see. Either way, it’s already May and time flies...whether there’s big reveals this month for Update #100, next month at E3, or beyond...Shenmue III is still on the way and a trial version may be on the way even sooner...lots to look forward too...eyes wide... ?

Personally, I didn't disagree with you because your opinion was negative, @ShenmueTree -- I disagreed because I think, less than 3 months from launch, there's no way the biggest industry event passes by without some gameplay coming out of it. It's quite literally their best opportunity to promote the game. Gamescom is ripe for Shenmue III promotion but it's very late in the day at that point, which is another reason I think it all kicks off at E3.

If you disagree then that's fine with me ✌

Personally, I didn't disagree with you because your opinion was negative, @ShenmueTree -- I disagreed because I think, less than 3 months from launch, there's no way the biggest industry event passes by without some gameplay coming out of it. It's quite literally their best opportunity to promote the game. Gamescom is ripe for Shenmue III promotion but it's very late in the day at that point, which is another reason I think it all kicks off at E3.

If you disagree then that's fine with me ✌

I agree it is their biggest opportunity for it, I just dont agree they will take advantage of it as much as I hope. Dont get me wrong, I hope I am wrong more than anyone. Id love to be wrong on this. LOL.

Like I asked before, can anyone actually think of any game that has had an ultra private only showing to the press at E3 and hasn't had anything publicly revealed?

Like Deep Silver are really going to go to the effort of going to E3, showing off Shenmue 3 to the press and not do any marketing?

The Last Guardian was very "press only" at E3 2016. I don't remember many public showings of it before its release. It seemed like everyone that was getting hands on time with it was press related. I think PSX was the one show where the public could play it and it was like a week from release at that point.

Last edited:
Anyway, I am super hyped for Easy Allies' Huber's impression, no way he skips S3 demo.

OH YEAH, considering his fantastic Yakuza 0 impressions ("it's okay! The Dragon of Dojima will rise!") :p:p

And considering he had to take a moment to himself before starting the Resident Evil 2 demo at last years E3

Then you know we're in for something special when Huber gets his hands on Shenmue III this E3

The Last Guardian was very "press only" at E3 2016. I don't remember many public showings of it before its release. It seemed like everyone that was getting hands on time with it was press related. I think PSX was the one show where the public could play it and it was like a week from release at that point.

Wasn't there an extensive trailer and plenty of information released though?

To be honest I cannot blame ShenmueTree for his skepticism when considering how subpar Deep Silver did marketing of Shenmue 3 so far.

But it is hard to believe that they skip the almost final big gaming event to showcase the game. After E3 there is only Gamescom before the launch and that's it. It would be very very stupid not to use the E3 to show more of the game.

I understand his skepticism too. When it comes to marketing this game, it's as if whoever is in charge has went out of their way to not show much gameplay footage at all. I remember Yu Suzuki saying he had to pull teeth to get one of those trailers last year out. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Shenmue was shown in secrecy like Virtua Fighter 3 was on the Saturn several years ago.

However to try to keep an even perspective on things, we're more informed and have seen more "gameplay footage" of Shenmue III than Death Stranding and that's saying something. Because I still don't know what that game is about. Especially when you consider when both of them are arguably the top 5 developers in history.

Personally, I wouldn’t understand the lack of a trailer at E3. There has been a trailer at MAGIC, how could they skip the major gaming event of the year? Especially knowing that the game will be playable at that time, even if only behind closed doors.

I’m feeling confident. My only issue being... the wait is almost unbearable!

I understand his skepticism too. When it comes to marketing this game, it's as if whoever is in charge has went out of their way to not show much gameplay footage at all. I remember Yu Suzuki saying he had to pull teeth to get one of those trailers last year out. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Shenmue was shown in secrecy like Virtua Fighter 3 was on the Saturn several years ago.

However to try to keep an even perspective on things, we're more informed and have seen more "gameplay footage" of Shenmue III than Death Stranding and that's saying something. Because I still don't know what that game is about. Especially when you consider when both of them are arguably the top 5 developers in history.

No, I am pretty sure we have seen more gameplay of Death Stranding than Shenmue 3. There was a long trailer with the character in game walking around dilvering packages and it shows many different locations of him doing it. You might say that that isnt gameplay but its you directly having control of the character, and moving him with your agency. Thats more than we have seen from Shenmue 3's actual gameplay outside of tech demos and prototypes. I dunno about anyone else but I would be estatic to see a video of Ryo just walking around an enviroment for a minute. Instead apart from cutscenes as far as actual gameplay goes, we have a short cinematic fight scene, and like 2 seconds of a mini game.

We have seen more screenshots of gameplay from Shenmue 3 than Death Stranding though, so that deserves a lot of credit. We just havent seen more in motion.

Back