Shenmue III will be "playable at E3" for press

It will be very weird if the press demo is literally all that happens at E3, and I don't expect this to be the case in even the remotest possibility, however -

It's absolutely not "hiding" anything if you're putting the game in the hands of the people whose job it is to literally criticise it.

I've got no love for the majority of the games media, but if you're trying to hide something you don't let the people who have their voice on a mass platform have access. You know what I mean?

True. It's a bad choice of words on my behalf...I guess the point I'm going for is "why the secrecy? Why hide it from not only the public but also the people who in part paid for it?" The game needs exposure at some point so why keep hiding it? That's moreso what I mean. The press getting hands on time with it is good and all, but if there is still no media released even after next month then I just have to wonder why are they hiding it?

Not to sound entitled, but like I said, I expect to see more at E3...I think if there is any time to do it then it's next month and I do expect to see more of a blow out. If not then I'll question what the hell is Deep Silver doing in their advertising?

Case in point: A few days ago I was talking about a Facebook friend who was playing Shenmue 1 and 2 for the first time. The other day he finally finished Shenmue 2 and said to me "I wonder how long it will take until we get Shenmue III?" I literally told him the date. He had no idea it was this year. If I have one concern, it's that it's going to go completely under the radar for a lot of people and that's why if there is no big blowout next month I will be questioning "why the secrecy? What are you trying to hide by not giving this game the time it needs?"

I worry about it from an exposure stand point mainly. But I do think it's more than likely we will see more next month...at least I hope.

All I really need is just a bit of direct footage...give me even just a minute or two of direct footage and I'd be happy. But again, I'll take anything at this point.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to call you out, I think you're pretty cool and are a extremely valuable member in the Shenmue community. That said I just cannot understand why
you must try to play goalie on my every contrary opinion? I am free to my criticisms and my skeptism. I understand you disagree but I just can't fathom the need incessantly quote me whenever I express my frustrations. I love Shenmue but I genuinely do not believe Deep Silver/YS Net, and Shibuya Productions have done enough to market their game that is out extremely soon. They are not some big AAA company, who have not ever released a modern game. They need to show as much as they can, and I don't believe that there is ample evidence to be convinced they will do it at E3.

Again, I understand you disagree but is calling me out for my opinion every time necessary?

You’re free to your criticisms and people are allowed to critique your criticisms that’s how dialogue works. If you were being censored for expressing a contrary opinion then that’s different.

You’re free to your criticisms and people are allowed to critique your criticisms that’s how dialogue works.

That is how dialogue works, correct. Doesn't stop it from being annoying to feel like I have to defend myself whenever I express dissent or negativity, also there is such a thing as going too far, lest we get caught up in arguments and inevitably go off topic, which is not fun for anyone I assume.

Anyway, I've said my piece and my opinion is the same as previously stated.

Again, I understand you disagree but is calling me out for my opinion every time necessary?
Mate, look... this view of yours is extremely weirdly pessimistic and runs contrary to any every sensible choice that an experienced publisher like Deep Silver would make. We've expressed to you why it's an odd viewpoint for you to hold, why there's no need to be so utterly negative about Deep Silver's handling of Shenmue 3, that their handling of it isn't the least bit out of the ordinary these days, and yet you cling to this odd idea that, by its pessimistic nature and your always depressed tone when expressing it, is honestly bothersome to see repeated continuously.

I'm not trying to be mean to you or anything, but on this particular point, you are a bit frustrating for a lot of us. I've seen enough to know that Spaghetti has a tremendous amount of patience, so once you see Spaghetti become overtly annoyed, that's a good sign to try to tone things down a bit in some form or another. If you want to continue clinging to this viewpoint you have, so be it, but it'd be a lot less tedious to deal with if you expressed it in a less... I guess semi-bitter, semi-sad sort of way?

Again, not trying to be mean, just trying to make it clear why people are so aggressive towards you on this specific point.

Mate, look... this view of yours is extremely weirdly pessimistic and runs contrary to any every sensible choice that an experienced publisher like Deep Silver would make. We've expressed to you why it's an odd viewpoint for you to hold, why there's no need to be so utterly negative about Deep Silver's handling of Shenmue 3, that their handling of it isn't the least bit out of the ordinary these days, and yet you cling to this odd idea that, by its pessimistic nature and your always depressed tone when expressing it, is honestly bothersome to see repeated continuously.

I'm not trying to be mean to you or anything, but on this particular point, you are a bit frustrating for a lot of us. I've seen enough to know that Spaghetti has a tremendous amount of patience, so once you see Spaghetti become overtly annoyed, that's a good sign to try to tone things down a bit in some form or another. If you want to continue clinging to this viewpoint you have, so be it, but it'd be a lot less tedious to deal with if you expressed it in a less... I guess semi-bitter, semi-sad sort of way?

Again, not trying to be mean, just trying to make it clear why people are so aggressive towards you on this specific point.

I know you're not trying to be mean. I dont think anyone here is coming from a place of malice. But to your point, it could be read that I am a bit bitter, and sad (though, probably in a different way than you meant), because I am genuinely sad, I believe things could be done better than it has been, and am skeptical it will be in the very near future. But if I am wrong (very, very much possible) then I will be very much elated.

BTW, I think I should clarify something. I very much love the latest Monaco trailer, a lot of the criticisms of it I feel are kind of unfair, its a great trailer, apart from what I feel is a lack of gameplay, I think it does it job excellently.( I actually made a bunch of gifs of it that I haven't uploaded yet since I am tying to get them to loop... But that's neither here or there). My point is there is room for skeptism and optimism and negative with the positive. If people think the way I express myself is too excessive or frustrating I am sorry but I don't know what to say really, except I'm not trying to rile anyone up.

Hey @ShenmueTree not to downtalk you or sound patronising (so please don't take it like that) but you're on a forum dude. And as is the nature of forums, the things you post here are invitations for discussion. You can't really get upset when someone takes you up on that discussion. Just as you have the option to express an opinion as much as you like, other people have the option to respond as much as they like too.

If it really bothers you, remember that there's an 'ignore' button that you can use.

With that said, I'd like to move the thread back on topic please.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for Huber to get his hands on it...I could care less about the rest of the press, I want to know what Michael Huber thinks of it at E3 :) If there is anyone who gets Shenmue, it's him and he'll at least know if they've hit it out of the park or not.
I concur, I fully expect Huber to be honest after the hype has wore off of course. I am not too worried about marketing I think the situation Shenmue III is in guarantees its success, I of course would still love more gameplay which we are already confirmed to see in the demo which will almost certainly be available around or slightly after E3.

True. It's a bad choice of words on my behalf...I guess the point I'm going for is "why the secrecy? Why hide it from not only the public but also the people who in part paid for it?" The game needs exposure at some point so why keep hiding it? That's moreso what I mean.

Not to sound entitled, but like I said, I expect to see more at E3...I think if there is any time to do it then it's next month and I do expect to see more of a blow out.
I expect to see more too, and I'd be shocked if E3 went and the press demo was the only thing they'd planned for.

It's hard to put into words what I'm thinking about this, because it's less about hard evidence they're going to show this or that, and more "well of course they're going to bring a trailer too, and show gameplay & more, it's fuckin' E3 innit?!"

Common sense, conventional wisdom, whatever you want to call it. I think sometimes we get lost in our own heads too much with the "what ifs" that we ignore what's right in front of us. After literally years of guessing games to pass the time, it's hard to deprogram yourself out of that mentality. Stopping yourself from over-analysing everything and trying to figure out the angles and scenarios.

This is just me talking - but I'm doing my best to just focus on the headline of all this: Shenmue III will be at E3 2019, and letting that be enough. And it SHOULD be enough, fuck knows we've begged for a return to E3 each year since Shenmue III was announced. I just want to put the "what ifs" away, go with my gut instinct, and enjoy the raw excitement again.

I'm not trying to call you out, I think you're pretty cool and are a extremely valuable member in the Shenmue community. That said I just cannot understand why
you must try to play goalie on my every contrary opinion? I am free to my criticisms and my skeptism. I understand you disagree but I just can't fathom the need incessantly quote me whenever I express my frustrations. I love Shenmue but I genuinely do not believe Deep Silver/YS Net, and Shibuya Productions have done enough to market their game that is out extremely soon. They are not some big AAA company, who have not ever released a modern game. They need to show as much as they can, and I don't believe that there is ample evidence to be convinced they will do it at E3.

I mean it's nothing personal, I hope you appreciate that.

I was in the skeptic's position way back in 2016 for E3 that year, where I thought it was far too early to be showing anything, and other people disagreed or at least entertained the notion of "maybe". I know what it feels like to be on the other side of that argument... but we're a long way from 2016 now.

I guess the issue is I saw your post and it read like a caricature of a pessimist. I don't know how you came to some of those conclusions without genuinely convincing yourself of the worst possible outcome in every single instance mentioned. A skeptical voice in the conversation is fine, but that post in particular... it reads like parody to my eyes.

I get you don't want to be excited without hard proof of exactly what'll happen to a tee, but an E3 presence alone should tip you off something is about to go down. A retailer exclusive deal for a pre-order trinket gets confirmed a few days ago, and a Collector's Edition details leak shortly after.

The dots aren't hard to connect when you know what's coming up. One way or another Deep Silver are about to push this game. I'm not telling you to shut up and smile, and act like everything will go absolutely perfectly with every wish fulfilled, but it's time to entertain the notion of "maybe".

And look, I know the wait for Shenmue III has not been helped by how closely the cards have been kept to the chest. Genuinely though, it is good fortune that the release date is this close to E3 AND Gamescom, with still so much left to show. Prolonged hype cycles have gone the way of the Dodo, and Shenmue III has yet to hit its peak of excitement and interest. More and more we're learning that leaving it late can be beneficial.

EDIT: Oops, been writing that so long I didn't see Jibby's post. Either way I think I've drawn a line under what I had to say anyway and don't have much more to add.

Prolonged hype cycles have gone the way of the Dodo.

So much this. The overdrawn hype of MGS3 was so exhausting, and despite being one of my favorite games of all time, let alone MGS, I wish I had payed less attention and have since then. Love how close to the chest YS are being, even these last couple big shows with presumable trailers shouldn't be too much info. Ever since MGS3, I've stopped watching the last few trailers of games leading upto release which usually have too much revealed. Also was easy to stay fresh going into new games because I was in such deep despair about Sega/Dreamcast failure I also stopped gaming much past; barely adopted 7th gen until 2012, then not 8th gen 'til last xmas.

It might just be me but I don't place the significance on E3 that I used to. With Sony, Nintendo and EA skipping it the public view is almost downplayed a little.

The fact that it will be there as a 30 min playable demo to press is something. What that content would be is something we don't know but I'd hope they'd show Ryo walking, having conversations, buying and selling & maybe some fighting. We also forget that Edge did a hands on preview of a playable build so it could be a newer version of that maybe?

What I've read (& hope I remember correctly) is that during the PC Gamer conference Sega, Kochmedia, Deep Silver and THQ wont be showing anything. So that pretty much rules out a trailer there.

However there's nothing to say Deep Silver won't drop a trailer during E3 via social media. I'd also not be shocked if a state of play comes around E3/during it where it would make sense to show something.

Also Kochmedia's social media channels are regularly posting about Shenmue. There's been the pre-order bonus NA and Canada plus the collectors leak by Amazon Italy as @Spaghetti mentioned. Something is coming and I'd understand the disappointment if nothing came out about Shenmue 3 during this time but I hope and suspect this is unlikely.

I'd love a gameplay trailer (couple of mins) with the backer demo releases and announcement of the leaked collectors edition. That would be great.

Just a few things about the discussion:
-As Spaghetti said, it doesnt mean the game is being demoed behind closed doors that we wont see it.
-It doesnt mean Deep Silver not having a showfloor presence we're not getting a trailer.
-The game not being playable for the public isnt important honestly.

With all that said, despite being in closed door, it's still possible to have a trailer AND a 30 minutrs gameplay video based on that closed door, which I fully expect.

Game is supposedly out in 3 months or so. We're definitely getting more presence at E3.

I think we'll all know about it that in 6 days during THQ Nordic financial broadcast. If the game is delayed, we'll know that there.

Playing Devil's Advocate I understand ShenmueTrees "skepticism and pessimism" perspective. I think this stems from 10+ years of being dicked around by Sega to finally get to where we are now. There's still a part of me that won't believe Shenmue III is real until I actually play the game itself.

Add to the frustration that any gameplay footage that is shown seems to feel like it's shared in some Underground Secret Basement cellar with Yu Suzuki and some Yakuza bodyguards doesn't help matters either. But the facts are the facts, and all signs look to the near final build of Shenmue III being shown at E3 for the first time. It's just time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

If you go back in time and look at all these legendary Japanese developers Miyamoto, Suzuki, Igarashi and Kojima. One thing is consistent they always wait until the very last minute to reveal the gameplay to their final product. I've said it before, what is going on with Shenmue III is a very Japanese style of development and it is also old school. Another thing consistent with all of these legendary designers they almost always deliver a fantastic final product. Suzuki is dong something Suzuki and all other old school Japanese game design legends have always done, he is holding off and treating his players to every surprise that will await us when we first play on August 27. It is also not even fully his fault he has revealed a few times that Deep Silver more or less restricted him from showing any extended gameplay it is clear they want the game in full perfect form before any long form gameplay trailers and especially the demo. There's still time for polish as well, whatever we see/play around E3 time we likely improve by a decent metric by launch, also there's the consideration of a day one patch that YS NET could work on during the shipping period. I am affirmatively confident and I hold no more worries, we're getting an awesome fucking game so be hype everybody!

Now we're seeing pre-order bonuses and collector's editions show up, I think it's more or less a given that the game will definitely meet its 27th August release date. It seems pretty obvious that we're going to get a huge amount of info in June, so I don't understand the pessimism.

Regarding Yu Suzuki always waiting to the last minute to reveal gameplay, I'm not entirely sure that's true. We've discussed it before, but loads of Shenmue 1 and 2 were shown off long before release. To be fair, that may partially be because the original Shenmue was delayed by 6 or 7 months in Japan.

Last edited:
I think we'll all know about it that in 6 days during THQ Nordic financial broadcast. If the game is delayed, we'll know that there.
I thought this too, until the EB Games pre-order promotion restated the August release date. No way that would have gone out if a week and a half later it would be delayed just before THQ Nordic do their financials. The decision would have already been made before now.

Hell or high water, the release date appears to be sticking.

I thought this too, until the EB Games pre-order promotion restated the August release date. No way that would have gone out if a week and a half later it would be delayed just before THQ Nordic do their financials. The decision would have already been made before now.

Hell or high water, the release date appears to be sticking.

Yeah, I highly doubt it'll be delayed. But I'm definitely convinced we'll get more infos about their E3 plans.

Yeah, I highly doubt it'll be delayed. But I'm definitely convinced we'll get more infos about their E3 plans.
At a minimum some lip service will be paid as part of Deep Silver's upcoming games, but I do wonder if they'll do anything interesting for the webcast of the financials...

Back