Shenmue III will be "playable at E3" for press

More importantly, if Wccftech is getting a hands on access, it seems it might be open for a lot of press outlets.
I think the way it works at E3 is that the publisher provides information about what they're bringing for press, and then outlets decide whether they want to cover it by booking an appointment. Hopefully this means a broad range of press get to try, though we've only heard about Shenmue III from these small places, likely because they're not as buttoned up about the process as others.

Credit to the guy from Wccftech for playing through both games before the demo at E3.

I think the way it works at E3 is that the publisher provides information about what they're bringing for press, and then outlets decide whether they want to cover it by booking an appointment. Hopefully this means a broad range of press get to try, though we've only heard about Shenmue III from these small places, likely because they're not as buttoned up about the process as others.

Credit to the guy from Wccftech for playing through both games before the demo at E3.
Wish he'd stated more about his impressions of the first game, that may affect his view of 3.

I know people say not to expect a massive visual leap, but I do expect a significant improvement by the time the game shows it's near-final build at E3 this year.

Yu has stated he worries about visuals last, so I expect a reasonable improvement considering, if the game has been complete since MAGIC, that's a good 2-4 months to make some gains on facial animations, character models and visual flair.

Even simple fixes to the NPC eyes would be an improvement overall.

I know people say not to expect a massive visual leap, but I do expect a significant improvement by the time the game shows it's near-final build at E3 this year.

Yu has stated he worries about visuals last, so I expect a reasonable improvement considering, if the game has been complete since MAGIC, that's a good 2-4 months to make some gains on facial animations, character models and visual flair.

Even simple fixes to the NPC eyes would be an improvement overall.

I honestly also believe in an graphically improved experience. 2-4 months after the release of Kingdom Come Deliverance it had so much more to offer on so many points with some of the patches. So i see it in a similar light.

Speaking of visuals, is your avatar Dick Cheney?

No, it is my father. He was a doctor of over 50 years till I lost him in 2017.

His passion was music and audio. He had a whole room dedicated to listening. He loved the soundtracks to Shenmue and Final Fantasy, despite not obviously being a game person himseld.

But he does bear a resemblance, I admit. I'm not offended, dont worry lol.

Last edited:
More importantly, if Wccftech is getting a hands on access, it seems it might be open for a lot of press outlets.
That's a good point, I didn't even think of that. And I agree with Spaghetti, it's very nice to see a journalist actually putting in the due-dilligence to play S1&2 beforehand.

And like him, I was also really impressed with the motorcycle section lmao. Not only did it seem like a whole lot of work for such a small section, the controls/sense of speed/track design/etc were all just really fun. I would've absolutely adored a modern Hang-on game that played like that.

Since journalist impressions are not scheduled at a specific time to read/view, it's gonna be kinda cool over E3, coming online everyday to check for news. That excitement when someone does find an article published by a journalist who has played the game. Kinda like the old days of the Dojo, smashing F5. As sad as that is, that's exciting me very much. Far more than waiting for a press conference where Shenmue 3 may, or may not show up.

No, it is my father. He was a doctor of over 50 years till I lost him in 2017.

His passion was music and audio. He had a whole room dedicated to listening. He loved the soundtracks to Shenmue and Final Fantasy, despite not obviously being a game person himseld.

But he does bear a resemblance, I admit. I'm not offended, dont worry lol.

Well he sounds like he was a very cool person! I'm glad to learn the real deal!

E3 floor plan is out.

As expected, Deep Silver do not have a presence on the show floor and are operating from a meeting room instead (practically all publishers have meeting rooms, whether they're on the show floor or not - totally normal).

THQ Nordic have some floor space, but tend to operate separately from Deep Silver.

Basically what I'm saying is a show floor demo is unlikely/not happening and don't get your pants in a twist over it.

E3 floor plan is out.

As expected, Deep Silver do not have a presence on the show floor and are operating from a meeting room instead (practically all publishers have meeting rooms, whether they're on the show floor or not - totally normal).

THQ Nordic have some floor space, but tend to operate separately from Deep Silver.

Basically what I'm saying is a show floor demo is unlikely/not happening and don't get your pants in a twist over it.

What does this mean in regards to Shenmue 3? I don't want to set my expectations too high, but I am at least hoping to see some footage of the gameplay in real time and not just a trailer.

What does this mean in regards to Shenmue 3? I don't want to set my expectations too high, but I am at least hoping to see some footage of the gameplay in real time and not just a trailer.
It doesn't mean a whole lot, just decreases or eliminates the already unlikely chance a demo is available on the show floor. There are lots of reasons why it wouldn't/couldn't/arguably shouldn't be at that part of the event, but no Deep Silver-specific booth space should put any flicker of possibility to bed.

There is the remote chance they could use THQ Nordic's space, but that doesn't really work with how they like to keep those structures separate (they're not even sharing a meeting room), and truthfully if Deep Silver really wanted a booth they could definitely get it this year - because of the gaps that Sony has left in not attending, and Microsoft doing their own event off-site.

The mostly verified facts are: there is a 30-minute E3 demo for press that Deep Silver are taking bookings for, and press will not be able to record their own footage. Again, nobody should freak out about that last part because it is fairly standard practice (game dependent, obviously), and has no bearing on whether Deep Silver intend to show gameplay through another avenue.

Actually I'd say that last part makes it a given we'll get a reasonably good look at gameplay at E3, because when you pop the lid off that stuff, you want to control it rather than show it through some influencer from GameDicks dot com farting around in a time limited demo.

Will there be a trailer? Oh most certainly, and I'd be surprised if it barely contains a whiff of gameplay.

Will there be a gameplay specific video that gives a detailed breakdown of mechanics and systems? Maybe - these kinds of videos are a really good way to explain what your game actually is, but I could see this being kept in the chamber for a little closer to release.

In a little over three weeks we'll know a lot more about Shenmue III than we did before. I feel relatively comfortable saying that based on just gut instinct and the timing.

Looks like it may only be behind closed doors press only demoes again... yay...:rolleyes:

And again I suspect it'll just be the same 15 min demo we've already read about a dozen times by now.

Hopefully there is a new trailer (I mean actually new, not just the previous one with English voice acting now) but with Sony skipping E3, and with Epic Games hosting/sponsering PC Gamers PC Gaming Show, I doubt it.

Sigh, is it too much to ask to see some actual gameplay from a game releasing in 4 months?

Looks like it may only be behind closed doors press only demoes again... yay...:rolleyes:

And again I suspect it'll just be the same 15 min demo we've already read about a dozen times by now.

Hopefully there is a new trailer (I mean actually new, not just the previous one with English voice acting now) but with Sony skipping E3, and with Epic Games hosting/sponsering PC Gamers PC Gaming Show, I doubt it.

Sigh, is it too much to ask to see some actual gameplay from a game releasing in 4 months?
I'm trying to be diplomatic about this, and you're entitled to your... predictions... but the "woe is me, is it too much to..." shit is beyond rote at this point.

Shenmue III will literally be at the biggest gaming industry event on the planet in barely over three weeks and you're acting like you've been served a pint of piss.

Sit tight and see what happens.

This. That's my expectation as well. But who knows?

Although I am absolutely convinced there will be another State of Play around E3...which makes me wonder, if there is indeed an E3 State of Play will that be where a new trailer will debut?

Sony's not gonna ignore E3 all together. Yes, I know. They have no presence at the show, but they're not just gonna sit back and let their competition have the lime light. Hence why I'm absolutely convinced there will be a pre-E3 State of Play and (hopefully) that's where we will see a brand new trailer.

Or maybe I'm wrong...still, I just don't see Deep Silver not releasing anything during E3...it's surely got to happen and being so close to release, E3 feels like the time to do it.

I hope next month brings that. I wouldn't even mind if they just released that 15 minute demo as footage. Just something showing the game in motion. I know, we've seen gameplay and I did like the MAGIC trailer. But I need to see in game stuff such as Ryo walking around and such. Just direct feed of the game being played.

If they still don't release anything at E3, that's when I will start to get vocal in my "Okay, what are they hiding?" dismay.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for Huber to get his hands on it...I could care less about the rest of the press, I want to know what Michael Huber thinks of it at E3 :) If there is anyone who gets Shenmue, it's him and he'll at least know if they've hit it out of the park or not.

Last edited:
If they still don't release anything at E3, that's when I will start to get vocal in my "Okay, what are they hiding?" dismay.
It will be very weird if the press demo is literally all that happens at E3, and I don't expect this to be the case in even the remotest possibility, however -

It's absolutely not "hiding" anything if you're putting the game in the hands of the people whose job it is to literally criticise it.

I've got no love for the majority of the games media, but if you're trying to hide something you don't let the people who have their voice on a mass platform have access. You know what I mean?

I'm trying to be diplomatic about this, and you're entitled to your... predictions... but the "woe is me, is it too much to..." shit is beyond rote at this point.

Shenmue III will literally be at the biggest gaming industry event on the planet in barely over three weeks and you're acting like you've been served a pint of piss.

Sit tight and see what happens.

I'm not trying to call you out, I think you're pretty cool and are a extremely valuable member in the Shenmue community. That said I just cannot understand why
you must try to play goalie on my every contrary opinion? I am free to my criticisms and my skeptism. I understand you disagree but I just can't fathom the need incessantly quote me whenever I express my frustrations. I love Shenmue but I genuinely do not believe Deep Silver/YS Net, and Shibuya Productions have done enough to market their game that is out extremely soon. They are not some big AAA company, who have not ever released a modern game. They need to show as much as they can, and I don't believe that there is ample evidence to be convinced they will do it at E3.

Again, I understand you disagree but is calling me out for my opinion every time necessary?

Just because you didn’t like the gameplay footage we got at Magic Monaco doesn’t mean we haven’t gotten any gameplay.

Hey man, if two second clips of gameplay is your thing and you enjoyed it, that's fair. I don't agree it was enough.

Is it not possible to love Shenmue but to accept different opinions where some are valid and negative or should we all just bit our lips and be beacons of positivity. I dunno about anyone else, but my fandom does not work that way.

Back