Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

The question is- what kind of Shenmue 4 are we gonna get? Mobile game or solid AA budget? I DO NOT want gratuitous lucky hit or capsule toys forklifts or 4th wall breaking fan service at every corner. I want a Shenmue 4 that is its own identity and progresses the story in a meaningful way. AND Shenhua goes back to her old clothes.
Why would Shenhua magically change her clothes on the great wall 🤔

Why would Shenhua magically change her clothes on the great wall 🤔
I guess she would change back into her traveling clothes when walking the Great Wall. She only wears the banana jumpsuit when she’s in Bailu village? That’s my head canon.

I can't see them messing with the character models too much.

If they wait 20 years to make Shenmue 4.. maybe they will "update" Shenhua's outfit again?

She'll wear purple overalls and a bearskin hat!

Last edited:
I don't want to come in and spread negativity, but I'm more concerned than ever that we might not see IV. Did the III team stay together or have they gone searching, understandably, for a paycheck? With the pandemic, would the team even be able to work in a meaningful way on the project currently? With the, let's face it, lukewarm reception to III and certainly less folks, fans or otherwise, excited about the future of the franchise at this point, I do find myself wondering who would invest into a sequel. Deep Silver? I think they were happy to take the money from Epic, etc., and run. SEGA seems content to loan out their "retro" properties these days, so I don't see them taking it back.

Cheer me up - somebody tell me why I am completely wrong lol.

There's no reason why Yu can't bring some of those team members back eventually if they have gone on to work on other projects. Or why he can't build a new team as long as they have the required experience.
Deep Silver may or may not be in it for Shenmue 4, but that doesn't stop Yu from securing other partners.
He seemed confident in a recent interview that 4 could be made so there must be something positive going on behind the scenes.

I don't want to come in and spread negativity, but I'm more concerned than ever that we might not see IV. Did the III team stay together or have they gone searching, understandably, for a paycheck? With the pandemic, would the team even be able to work in a meaningful way on the project currently? With the, let's face it, lukewarm reception to III and certainly less folks, fans or otherwise, excited about the future of the franchise at this point, I do find myself wondering who would invest into a sequel. Deep Silver? I think they were happy to take the money from Epic, etc., and run. SEGA seems content to loan out their "retro" properties these days, so I don't see them taking it back.

Cheer me up - somebody tell me why I am completely wrong lol.
I believe that if Yu Suzuky is confident that he can make Shenmue 4 then we should take that as a very positive sign; I mention this because in the past he was asked numerous times if he would make Shenmue 3 and we never got a positive answer or at least with the same confidence as now.
We also must take into consideration the Epic exclusivity deal that was made because we don't know the in full detail what was negotiated and Epic as recently shown great intent in supporting small development teams like Ys Net.
We must also take into account Sony as a possible partner; not only because of the good relationship that Yu Suzuky has with Mark Cerny but also for the fact that they can also secure a loyal fan base that can bring more revenue by buying their console and their games along the line.
In my oppion now and more than ever before there are much more positive reasons than negative to believe the Shenmue series might see its conclusion in the next 10 years or so.
Nevertheless I remain confident but at the same time catious; but my feeling tells me that we might get an answer in the following 12 to 15 months.

I admire the faith. I'm more cautiously optimistic.

What it will be like is the 20 million dollar question ;)

People are just traumatised by the wait for Shenmue III. But it's a far different context, era and people.
Shenmue III didn't happen all those years because it was impossible.
SEGA wouldn't lend their IP to anyone.
Having an engine meant it was expensive.

Today ?
SEGA lend their older IPs to anyone.
Engines are free to use and work on a royalty rate system.

+ YsNet is built already. If Shenmue IV wasn't to happen, YsNet would have no reason to exist.

+ YsNet is built already. If Shenmue IV wasn't to happen, YsNet would have no reason to exist.

Not quite. I mean, weren't they creating mobile games before the shift to Shenmue 3?
I'm sure Yu Suzuki would have found other projects for his company. He's been very vocal about other things he'd like to do.

They were also working on VRersus but that's sorta gone by the wayside since 2018.

They will have something that they're doing, otherwise who is keeping the lights on?

They will have something that they're doing, otherwise who is keeping the lights on?

Yeah that’s the million dollar question. If we can get an indicator on if they have any active projects, that will help us determine if Shenmue 4 is coming sooner rather than later.

Yeah that’s the million dollar question. If we can get an indicator on if they have any active projects, that will help us determine if Shenmue 4 is coming sooner rather than later.
Thats the thing it's all being kept rather quiet.

I know in the UK you can apply for certain grants towards the running of a studio so there might be something like that in Japan. But surely they must be working on something, be it Shenmue 4 or another game.

Those images of Suzuki taking photos in China, was that pre or post Shenmue 3 launch? I can't remember
It was with Oasis games in China. He was in Shanghai and it was was after the release of Shenmue III

YsNet is a gaming Company. They can create any game. I do not get the logic why the Company should not be there if there is no Shenmue 4. They can make any game if they want to. They do not need S4 to excist. I hope it will be made of course.

YsNet is a gaming Company. They can create any game. I do not get the logic why the Company should not be there if there is no Shenmue 4. They can make any game if they want to. They do not need S4 to excist. I hope it will be made of course.

Because let's be real:
It's a mid sized company. They cant feed on mobile project which barely requires a few persons.

And I dont see which company would hire them for a mid sized project.

Because let's be real:
It's a mid sized company. They cant feed on mobile project which barely requires a few persons.

And I dont see which company would hire them for a mid sized project.

So, how did they survive pre-Shenmue 3 then? :unsure:
The company was founded in 2008 and seemed to do just fine up until S3's announcement in 2015.

Back