Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

The fact it's written in English is about all I need to see. I've heard him speak English a few times over the past 20+ years. Never more than a sentence or two.

@Dg1995 No it is not. Resident Evil was about exploring and surviving. Killing all enemies was never the goal of the game. You never had enough ammo to so. You have find your weapons. You have to earn them. In RE 4 you can buy them and you get rewards by killing all enemies. RE 4 is arcade Shooter. Nothing less nothing more.

It feels completely different than the old RE games.

And no Resident Evil is not about Tank controls. If you want to know how a old Re Game could feel in the modern day and age play RE 7, and Remake 2 and 3.

These games were able to port the classic feeling into a modern game.

But that's just me personal opinion of course.

It is not the universal answer for everything. What is right for me might be wrong for everybody else.

ps: the Yu Instagram ? is cute.

Why some people make such fakes. It is not funny at all.

Shenmue is more Shenmue than RE 4 which kiled everything that made Resident Evil the game it was.
This is so true. Anyone who thinks that Shenmue III was a bad sequel should be happy that they weren't Resident Evil fans when RE4 was released.

It's clear that Yu Suzuki was at least attempting to make a game he thought the fans would be happy with. RE4 was literally a game made for people who didn't even like Resident Evil. It was more than just trying to make the game accessible to newcomers; I felt like Capcom and Shinji Mikami were intentionally spitting in my face because I was actually a fan and one of the people who made it possible for the series to still be going after nine years.

RE 4 was really a RE game though:

1.Tank controls
2.Some enemies that looked kinda similar to previous RE game monsters.(Dogs and those bug monsters.)
3.Scary looking environment and atmosphere in some places.(Like the regenerators lab room)
4.3 characters from previous games alongside continuing the story.(It did a good job setting RE 5 imo)
5.The focus on ranged combat similar to previous RE games alongside only having the knife as a melee weapon.
6.Ability to examine the environment to read the character's thought on them similar to previous RE games alongside having notes that tell more of the background story.
7.Having some easy puzzles and collecting key items like the previous RE games.
8.Having some timed sections where you have to escape from somewhere in a limited time.
9.Having a section in the main campaign where you play as another character.
10.Ability to dodge some attacks similar to dodging in RE 3(But with addition of a QTE to it) alongside this that majority of enemies have this ability to grab your character.(And force you to press movement buttons in order to breaking free.)
11.Having typewriters for saving the progress alongside having some safe rooms.
12.Backtracking in some sections.
Resident Evil needed RE 4 to survive since RE was a dying franchise at the early 2000s.(So much that even Devil May Cry 1 and Onimusha 1-3 were more successful than RE.)
I have an answer for almost all of these points, but that would be a very long and off-topic post. All I'm going to say is that you are really reaching to try and prove that "RE 4 was really a RE game." Unlike Shenmue III, which literally picked up exactly where Shenmue II left off, RE4 randomly took place six years later, killed off the series' main antagonist in the opening cutscene, had a totally different gameplay style and atmosphere, and would be completely unrecognizable as Resident Evil if you changed the names of two of the characters and removed a few throwaway lines referencing Raccoon City, Wesker, and Umbrella.

And I don't buy that RE was a dying franchise. Devil May Cry and Onimusha may have been more successful than REmake and RE0, but that was only because those two games were exclusive to GameCube. By the time RE4 was released, the franchise had spawned a successful movie series with two entries in it. Resident Evil was practically a household name, while Devil May Cry and Onimusha were not. The series could have made a resurgence without turning it into a mindless action game and abandoning the story that had been told up to that point without ever giving it a proper conclusion.

My Re fandom died with RE 4 and I did not touch the series again until Re 7. sure Yu-San made some mistakes with 3 but considering the situation and the budget he did well.

At least Yu-San tried to make a game that feels and plays like Shemue. He did not betrayed his old fans like the good old Shinji Boy.

And Re was not a dying franchise. Capcom just put their priorities wrong. I hate the say that but the Gamecube was the wrong console for the Series. For me personally it was the right choice, I like the Gamecube way more than the Hype station 2 aka Ps2 but PS2 would have been the platform were the RE Fans were.

Not everybody was a RE fanatic like me. I bough the Dreamcast for example to get Code Veronica and did not regret it. I bought the Cube for the Remake and did not regret it. But most gamers stayed loyal with Sony. So the PS2 would have been the logical choice for the next RE games.

Nintendo was seen as to childish back then and adult Game like RE were seen as out of place. A pity the Cube deserved better . But that was the sad reality. On the ps2 the games would have sold much better.

Any tips which versions of RE to play on PS4 and in what order? I really only know Code Veronica which I loved from the Dreamcast.

RE 0, Re Remake, Re 2 Remake, RE 3 Remake. That is the whole classic trilogy. You can also buy code Veronica on it but it is just a a port of the ps2 version.

Making GC the main platform for RE games really sounded like a good idea in 2001 since:

1.GC could handle better graphic effects compared to PS2.
2.PS2 had an annoying hardware for the developers.(Even Itagaki for the same reason decided to move the Ninja Gaiden game from ps2 to Xbox)

Also, consider this that at that time no one knew that PS2 was going to outsell the GC so it really felt like a good choice which in the end it wasn't.

But, I don't think classic style horror game would be as successful as RE 4.
1.Silent Hill 2,3 and 4 on PS2 and Xbox never managed to become as successful as SH 1 on PS1.
2.RE CV on ps2 sold 1.4 million copies while RE 4 on ps2 sold 2.3 million copies.
3.other classic style horror games weren't that successful on PS2.(Hunting Ground, Fatal Frame games,Siren)
4.In the rereleases RE 4 has been more successful than classic style RE games.

2.PS2 had an annoying hardware for the developers.(Even Itagaki for the same reason decided to move the Ninja Gaiden game from ps2 to Xbox)
Unfortunately (for everyone) too many people bought into the cheap DVD player Sony was peddling, and ended up putting developers over a barrel.

But, I don't think classic style horror game would be as successful as RE 4.
I can't really argue this point, but for someone who likes survival horror games, I don't think it really matters that much if they're runaway smash-hits. I know that's basically how I feel about Shenmue (and survival horror games). I think it would be cool if they were wildly profitable games, for the developers' sake, but I'd rather just have those styles of games at maybe moderate commercial success.

Personally, I enjoyed the fact that the Fatal Frame series seemed to continue past the semi-death of the subgenre, but it looks like that one might be gone for good, too.

Love Resident Evil. Played it since i was a boy. Im one of those fans who does not like RE4, 5 or 6. Very forgettable games. I'm tempted to go back and play 4. I may have a new appreciation for it as an adult. But yeah i didnt like it at all as a kid.

Give me RE0, RE1, RE2, RE3, RECV, RE7 all day

RE8 looks similar to RE4. I'm cautiously optimistic. I can definitely see why they are remaking RE4 now since those assets in 8 look very similar.

Gimme a remake of Code Veronica dammit.

The writings were on the wall that the Cube is going to fail. Even back then. it got lots of Backlash thanks to the later release, the design was also considered as too childish (not by me but by other contemporaries).

Nintendo was not the first choice of Capcom either. They were in negotiations with Microsoft first. But the MS guys screwed it up so they went with Nintendo.

Besides that Sony won the "war" even the before the war started unfortunately. Even the Name PS2 was enough to make People forget the Dreamcast, although there were no hard Facts about the ps2. Since the ps2 entered the Marketing realm it was over for the others and a win for Sony.

I have to admit that I was among the fools that feel for it.

Sure the ps2 had some Problems at the start, some devs were unhappy, with the tech. Lorne Laning and Itagaki even left the platform.

But the hype was so big that nobody was caring about these facts if they were known at all.

Concerning the fact that RE 4 Aracde was more sucessful than Re the Horror game I have to agree. A simple Shooter attracts more people than a complex Adventure.

4 and 5 are VERY good videogames, but they indeed lost a lot of the, "soul," of the previous titles.

6 I've never played nor watched a playthrough of, thus I cannot comment on it. But 4 and 5 were excellent titles.

RE4 was intentionally redesigned. I remember Mikam promising RE4 would be a brand new experience. It wasn’t a matter of the designers being constrained by budget or trying to give the mainstream something more accessible; they wanted to experiment and they succeeded by most accounts. I know many people who consider RE4 one of the greatest video games of all time.

Unfortunately RE 4 is not new experience. It is Dino Crisis 2 with Re Skin. Nothing new. Nothing revolutionary. A generic 3rd person Shooter. Maybe a good game but does not deserve the name Resident Evil. Let alone 4.

It is an insult as a sequel. After The big words of Chris Redfield in RE Code Veronica Ending "We have to destroy "Umbrella"

Umbrella is bankrupt all of a sudden. Does not make sense.

They should have delivered a true Ending of Umbrella and then make a new game with the RE 4 formula.

They game did not need the RE trademarks.

The game would have have been any worse or better, if the renamed Leon Bob and Ada Sally.

It would be the same game.

But now enough of my rant. The horrible days of RE are over.

Since Re 7 Capcom is trying to bring the over the soul of the old games and merge them with modern gameplay.

RE 2 and 3 Remake did that also very well.

And RE 8 is gonna getting good as well.

That's great you feel that way, but history and most people disagree with you. Look at any "top games of all time list" and RE4 will always be up there. I have argued with many people who've told me Shenmue has always been trash or that it wasn't innovative and I usually respond similarly. Argue with the thousands of people and endless number of publications who say otherwise...

RE 4 took everything away from the series I liked. I liked RE for being a classic point and click adventure with some action elements. That what made Resident Evil. Resident Evil. There is a reason why the old fanbase is still kicking and the old games are still revered. I am not the only one feeling that way.

Of course the new approach attracted the main stream and the main stream is there were the money is. I believe you that the mainstream loved Resident Evil 4. But the people that said RE 4 is one of the greatest games of all time were not Resident Evil fans before that.

We should leave it at that point. There are 2 different group of fans and that is fine.

RE 4 took everything away from the series I liked. I liked RE for being a classic point and click adventure with some action elements. That what made Resident Evil. Resident Evil. There is a reason why the old fanbase is still kicking and the old games are still revered. I am not the only one feeling that way.

Of course the new approach attracted the main stream and the main stream is there were the money is. I believe you that the mainstream loved Resident Evil 4. But the people that said RE 4 is one of the greatest games of all time were not Resident Evil fans before that.

We should leave it at that point. There are 2 different group of fans and that is fine.

I never saw a second of footage of 4, when I had played ALL of the previous titles in the series and I thought it was a superb game; maybe not, "one of the best ever," but definitely a top 3 game in the series.

It is clear you are taking this personal and have a lot of personal feelings towards the gameplay being changed; that's perfectly fine, but evolution is constantly going on and if you remove your personal bias about how the series was changed (not to your liking), surely you can see that RE4 is a superb game.

If you don't feel that way, then you are not removing the inherent bias, period.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but the game is a great game and because we think it's a great game, absolutely doesn't mean that we, "aren't true RE fans." Come on.

And whoa; RE is absolutely NOT a PAC game, not in the slightest; it's through and through, an Action or Action/Adventure title.

Again, not telling you how to feel, but if you are calling RE a PAC series, then I don't think you're even seeing the classic titles in the series, in the same eyes as we are.

BTW, this is getting super off-topic lol

Back