Shenmue Trivia

24Nathan

So, this was a popular thread at the old Dojo, and I thought I'd start it up again here. Questions can come from any of the three games or the series history. I'll start with an easy one.

Who was the boss of the Yellow Heads? Correct spelling counts!

The Asian Humpty Dumpty: Dou Niu.

What colour panties does Xiuying wear?

Had to create a new Shenmue I file to find this one out! It is Astro Flash. Wish it would've been included in Shenmue II!

What was an arcade machine that was found in What's Shenmue, but not in Shenmue I?

Love the idea of this thread!
Afterburner. Had to fire up What's Shenmue to find out though!

Q: What move scroll can be found on Fuku-san's desk in Shenmue 1?
Shadow Reaper, arguably one of the most useful moves in the game, especially if you don’t train it. Fuku-san was hiding the key to defeat LANNN DIIIIIIII!!!!!!!

Q: What is the name of the opera Oishi-san (the owner of Bunkado Antiques) refers to in Shenmue I?

Looks he gets off at about a quarter to midnight as seen here:

What was one of the few moves taught to Ryo from the first two games that did not appear in Shenmue III? Throws do not count.
If I remember correctly "Swallow Dive" and "Demon's Triangle" moves are gone. Technically, Ryo didn't learn "Demon's Triangle" in Shenmue II, so I don't know I am right or wrong.

Q: How long did it take Ryo to get from Yokosuka to Hong Knog?

If I remember correctly "Swallow Dive" and "Demon's Triangle" moves are gone. Technically, Ryo didn't learn "Demon's Triangle" in Shenmue II, so I don't know I am right or wrong.

Q: How long did it take Ryo to get from Yokosuka to Hong Knog?

Two weeks, I believe. (Please be right)

Q: What was the real brand of alcohol featured in the Heartbeats bar from the first Shenmue? (Original, not re-release)

Two weeks, I believe. (Please be right)

Q: What was the real brand of alcohol featured in the Heartbeats bar from the first Shenmue? (Original, not re-release)
Glenfidditch? I'll wait on this one, to see if I'm right...

Also, @Alexey , you are correct with Swallow Dive! Which is unfortunate because it was one of my favorite moves...Demon's Triangle, awesome as it is, is also technically a throw move in the first two games.

Besides Swallow Dive and Demon's Triangle (although there is a move called Yama Three or something similar in the game's files...why it wasn't included is anyone's guess), we lost out on Hind Blow, Wild Throw, Shadow Step, Shadow Blade, Cross Charge, Swallow Flip, Lunging Strike, and Predictive Explosion. Most are throws, but Predictive Explosion is clearly a story element considering it was mandatory to learn in Shenmue II and also unusable since, and Lunging Strike appears in name only in Shenmue III but is clearly different from the Shenmue II move. This could be the fault of the translation, but I'm not sure. I hope in Shenmue IV we get all of the moves and combos in all three games back.

What is this man's name? View attachment 7735
Had to look it up, of course, but that is Mitsuharu Koda. He's a lazy motherfucker with a bitch of a wife, apparently.

EDIT: How many times can Ryo encounter crying kids in the first game?

Last edited:
Back