Tell me your feeling who played game,are you satisfied with shenmue 3

I'll go into greater detail once I'm actually ready to put the game down for a long while

What I enjoy:
- I like that training is important in this game and you have more to do instead of just sparring and shadow fighting.
- This is the only Shenmue game that has given me enough activities to lose my in-game days in.
- I like the way the economy is set up by incorporating tokens/gambling into making money/getting items and clothes and moves
- I like Bailu and Chobu as locations
- What new tracks are there I like for the most part

What I dislike:
- The villains
- the Final segment/Ending
- lack of fleshed out characters besides Ryo and Shenhua
- Jobs pay to little. Making gambling the best way to make money. With how important money is in this installment I wish there was a steady reliable way to bring in the cash.
- The Combat is just a huge flop imo.
- overall the story is very weak imo compared to the previous games

Nitpicks:
- Music doesn't loop in a lot of places
- Chobu needs waaaaay more NPC's
- Stamina doesn't bother me to much but I feel it doesn't add anything positive to the game
- A lot of features I was looking forward to did not make it into the game. I put it as a nitpick since I don't know why these ideas were scrapped yet.
- A lot of the prizes cost to many damn tokens.

In closing: Shenmue 3 is something I can enjoy as a fan but it is flawed in areas that matter most. The characters, Villains, Story, and combat. I enjoy having a shenmue experience that actually gives me plenty to do with my days. for the first time I am planing out what to do. "today I will focus on fishing and training" "tomorrow I will focus on gathering herbs and gambling". It's nice to be back in this world but while I consider it a more fun game than Shenmue 1 thats largely thanks to all of the side activities and not the core of the game so I don't consider it to be better than it. And its not holding a candle to Shenmue 2 for sure.

I hope now that the ground work is there, Yu can really focus on making Shenmue 4 a masterpiece on par with 1 and 2.

I haven't done much fighting, but it's by far the weakest part of the game that I have seen so far. It all comes down to controls for me. In the originals, I would use the D-Pad for fighting, basically the same way classic fighting games would be played, but Shenmue 3 has abandoned that and all of the fighting is done with the analog stick. Doing combos and dodging is frustrating, it's just too awkward and clunky. I'm not sure why they changed it so much in Shenmue 3, but so far, it feels like the one big mistake they made.

Pretty much everything else has been fantastic though. After 18 years, it's amazing that they have managed to pull off that Shenmue feeling so well. With the fighting and small nit picks here and there, the game is so far rating at an 8 or 9 for me.

I haven't done much fighting, but it's by far the weakest part of the game that I have seen so far. It all comes down to controls for me. In the originals, I would use the D-Pad for fighting, basically the same way classic fighting games would be played, but Shenmue 3 has abandoned that and all of the fighting is done with the analog stick. Doing combos and dodging is frustrating, it's just too awkward and clunky. I'm not sure why they changed it so much in Shenmue 3, but so far, it feels like the one big mistake they made.

Pretty much everything else has been fantastic though. After 18 years, it's amazing that they have managed to pull off that Shenmue feeling so well. With the fighting and small nit picks here and there, the game is so far rating at an 8 or 9 for me.
I'd say you both want a VF 3 engine intact, so you don't have to learn a thing after these 18 years of grinding your thumbs doing the same moves to max them. I'm sorry to sound that rude. It may take you both to play this one a lot. I still have trouble doing some of the cooler moves, but there's a way to assign them to R2. Reasons for why he did it as he did it. SEGA owning the VF IP. He'd get sued for using his own older engine. This is why all the toys in the game are non SEGA from any other series than the one he got the rights to. There is however a SEGA Saturn to see if you dig hard enough. He might have gotten permissions at the last moments.
Another thing to consider, you move freer now. Group battles in 1&2 stank. That engine shone 1vs1. Once I did get 3-4 moves down in the 3rd, it started being fun. Train every day, even on maxed moves that you like. You both just need a month or so in. Years of VF vs now learning in 2 days was just not gonna happen. You do have the right to hate the new engine all you want though.

So first off, I’m still in Bailu training to level up my Kung fu in general so still early days for me. Immediately I felt sucked back into whatever it is that made the first 2 so enjoyable. To summarise, I’m loving it so far.

can I ask though, anyone playing it on PS4, is there noticeable slowdown in certain parts of the town square and a few other areas? Akin to S2 when you ran past pigeon fountain or really busy streets in Dobuita. It not something that bothers me much but just want to make sure I’m not the only one.
On PC on SDD there are none, but there's this stutter going from 1 part to the central square. Amazing that there are no loading screens for these huge areas, but you pay the price with these tiny stutters. I don't even notice them now though. There may be the same on PS4, unless they reduced the quality to smooth it out. This girl I spar with has a blouse that's so stunning. I gotta say even AC Odyssey, or Witcher 3 had no non moder made clothes this great. Skyrim got them years later, though only high end PC's could run them . Here it's just there. Awesome bit of work. I'm waiting on a mod for Shenhua to have that outfit at will. That would rule! Maybe it's there to be won, or bought later. I'm still in Bailu, got burned out playing from 6 AM. I love Ryo's facial animations during key moments. Man oh man he needed those while I replayed over and over LOL. I just wish they gave the same to many others. I thought the demo was limited, but the martial hall master will get it in the full, nope. Still like he was.

I can't say the fighting bothers me too much. I think once you get the hang of it, it's okay. It's not the VF engine (that's for damn sure) but it's not entirely terrible to me either. I find the more you level things up, the smoother some of the transitions get between moves. It's not perfect, but I'm not hating it either. It's just very different. And limited due to the lack of true counters. If the game even had at least one true counter attack then it might have been a little better (even Yakuza has counter attacks)

But yeah, if we get to IV, I hope they can flesh it out more and add in proper counters and reversals.

I can't say the fighting bothers me too much. I think once you get the hang of it, it's okay. It's not the VF engine (that's for damn sure) but it's not entirely terrible to me either. I find the more you level things up, the smoother some of the transitions get between moves. It's not perfect, but I'm not hating it either. It's just very different. And limited due to the lack of true counters. If the game even had at least one true counter attack then it might have been a little better (even Yakuza has counter attacks)

But yeah, if we get to IV, I hope they can flesh it out more and add in proper counters and reversals.
Did you know a bunch of moves you don't train as they are older are counters? My favorite is a sword kick. There are more, you can only do them as counters. I hope in 4 the throws get put in their place. Too many are the same dang round kick.

counter.png

Did you know a bunch of moves you don't train as they are older are counters? My favorite is a sword kick. There are more, you can only do them as counters. I hope in 4 the throws get put in their place. Too many are the same dang round kick.

View attachment 5727

Yeah, there are a few I've seen that interrupt moves...but when I mention counters, I mean counters like Swallow Flip or True Counter Elbow Assault when you pull the opponent in then hit 'em with an elbow. That's the stuff I miss the most counter wise. Pulling off Swallow Flip in SII feels so damn good when it hits. Same with the Counter Elbow Assault.

Like I said, I don't entirely hate III's combat system. I just wish it was more fleshed out rather than just strikes and nothing else.

Last edited:
I'd say you both want a VF 3 engine intact, so you don't have to learn a thing after these 18 years of grinding your thumbs doing the same moves to max them.

It's not really that, I just don't find the fighting in Shenmue 3 to be all that fun, it's just clunky and awkward. It doesn't need to be like Virtua Fighter, I just want it to be an enjoyable experience rather than a frustrating one.

It's not really that, I just don't find the fighting in Shenmue 3 to be all that fun, it's just clunky and awkward. It doesn't need to be like Virtua Fighter, I just want it to be an enjoyable experience rather than a frustrating one.

Clunky and frustrating because? The game has great amount of moves which can be connected into combo in hundreds of ways. Controls and the way you input them are very responsive, however I did notice input lag on PS4 when compared to PC version.
The only downside is the left stick steps & dodging and the terrible lock on - I cannot believe that they couldn't just add a dedicated dodge button and allow you to freely lock on and off and move the camera.
All it now needs to do is refine the control mapping (dodging) and add other elements such as holds, throws, counters and counter holds.
And even then, In terms of depth and move set, S3 exceeds any modern beat em up game, even long running series like Yakuza which barely improved over the years after the 1st game release on PS2.

Also, there is another spectrum which people discussing combat tend to forget or never mention and that is - the enemy variety, their move set and AI. Which in S3 happens to have rather ok AI that can put up a fight but the move set is lacking with many moves reused from Ryo or shared between same fighters.

Personally, to me it is rather sad to see how many people have bad opinions about S3's combat when it has finally in long years a system where you don't mindlessly press sqaure x4 and triangle and instead actually have to think about your inputs because there are more than 2 combo variations as well as each attack having actual range and height difference.

Hmm, I think I am going to end up taking my comments back about the combat already. After deciding to put some time into it to try and adjust to it, I have found myself starting to like it. It's actually quite satisfying hitting those qte's and timing blocks and attacks properly. I think it's one of those things that when you start to get the hang of it, it becomes fun to play.

Hmm, I think I am going to end up taking my comments back about the combat already. After deciding to put some time into it to try and adjust to it, I have found myself starting to like it. It's actually quite satisfying hitting those qte's and timing blocks and attacks properly. I think it's one of those things that when you start to get the hang of it, it becomes fun to play.
Well you didn't expect to be great day 2 did you? I hate how slow my fingers are myself, but I don't remember by now how lousy I used to be at Shenmue or VF3 when I played it. By now I don't think how to do those moves, but I sure was lousy. Wait till this one move you gonna need to learn. Gotta be like lightning! The best is that the left stick is movement only, it means you can move away from their stuff, but do your own at the same time with your right hand. Yes, you must learn the moves, but it clearly becomes a 3D fight. Going from X to triangle is whats crappy. Your finger must almost slide to it for it to count. I'm getting there though.

Just wanted to share what helped greatly this morning. if a move uses X and then circle, put your thumb almost on both. Worked like a charm. Just try to slide a tiny bit down to upwards. Started getting great on many moves. Or those insane X square triangle types, spin back fist. Slide your thumb up those 3 in a fluid move. I was stunned how much easier it became! Fluid.

Overall I agree with what most people have posted here. Shenmue 3 is a good game but has some major issues that held it back.

When I first started playing the game early this week it instantly felt a Shenmue game and I’m so happy they managed to pull this off. The environments are stunning and there is plenty to do. My favourite part was probably training so the first thing I did was max out my training and get a hold of as many move scrolls as possible so I was ready to destroy anyone in Ryo’s way and fight my way up the leader board at the dojo. I was excited to start learn a bit of history with the mirrors. However as time went on I was a bit disappointed when the story as didn’t really progress much after that and became more about finding thugs and learning a move to overcome a boss battle. The training felt a bit pointless as no matter what happened you were forced to lose that fight. No one in the Village was willing to help, not even the master that knew Ryo’s father and he really didn’t offer much in the game.

Niaowu was really nice but noticeably quiet, it didn’t have the hustle and bustle feel of Hong Kong Some more NPC’s in this area would have fixed that easy but budget issues obviously had a lot to do with this.
The ending- I do feel underwhelmed and disappointed with how this turned out. It didn’t feel believable that all those people that you hardly knew you would help you fight your way to the castle. The stupid pawn shop guy wanting his stuff back that was just placed on shelves up stairs, honestly this should have been taken out it didn’t fit in with this part of the game at all. The fight to the castle was also too easy and was poor compared to the 70 man battle and finally the end boss who I just wasn’t that bothered with at this point as I knew I was about to see Land Di soon anyway. The comedy parts with the broom stick and the enemies falling over the balcony should also be removed, it made me cringe. Niao Sun is an interesting character and I think she should have been the main antagonist in this game, like Dou Niu, Ryo trying to find a way to defeat her. With her finally turning on Landi at the end as a bit of a twist.

I can’t help but keep comparing the ending to Shenmue 2, the characters, the fight up the yellow head building, the rooftop battle with a boss you were forced to overcome with your friends at your side that you had really got to know throughout the game. It just goes to show what a masterpiece Shenmue II was and still is.

In a lot of ways Ren saved this game and the ending and I am glad he was back.

Update: Chai also didn't need to be in this game.

In summary though I still think as an overall kickstarter title Yu Suzuki has done really well with the budget he had although I wish there was a lot more work done on character development and story, for example I feel there is a lot less to do in Shenmue I but that game had better story and character development so is a much better game overall.
I may look like I am just being negative here I still want Shenmue IV and really hope Yu Suzuki gets proper funding to continue the story. I honestly believe now with a development team put together and with a lot of the development work done like the fighting “engine” character designs, and overall game design worked out he can really put together a polished game. It just needs less comedy, more story and better character development.

It gets a 7/10 from me.

Last edited:
It gets a 7/10 from me.

A fair assessment I wouldn't score it anything over a 7 either.

I hated the end sequence all very rushed and planned out poorly, felt like they ran out of money.

Yep, 7/10 for me as well. Love the game itself, hate the complete lack of story progression and structure of what story there is.

I don't get it. You'd think after 18 years Suzuki would hurry it up a bit. Just a bit. No, i don't want to kill Lan Di in 3, but i do want Ryo to progress past getting beat by random thugs. There's no progression. Ryo has beat some badass dudes by now, and he should be eating thugs for breakfast. The mooks of the game should have been suited Chi You Men guys, not these losers...

Also, unless i missed it in an optional convo, Ryo and Shenhua never discuss the fucking MAGIC FLYING SWORD they have.

Last edited:
Yep, 7/10 for me as well. Love the game itself, hate the complete lack of story progression and structure of what story there is.

Well, we still have some story DLC upcoming so maybe the overall game's narrative will be more fleshed out? That's my hope at least.

[/QUOTE]
Well, we still have some story DLC upcoming so maybe the overall game's narrative will be more fleshed out hopefully? That's my hope at least.

The DLC shouldn't be needed, and in any case it's not likely to fix the underlying issues with the story. They can't put anything really relevant out as DLC because it's DLC. What, Ziming's gonna pop up or something? No chance.

i haven't finished it yet but i must say i'm really enjoying it so far, though i understand why some people will dislike it. it is well worth grinding through the training to improve endurance especially but i also found once id upgraded my attacks i had more fun with the combat. there are some quirks that i could have done without that i feel have been put in there for nostalgic reasons, but so far so good for me.
i don't know what happens at the end (I've heard its disappointing) but I've been enjoying the journey, we might not ever get a shenmue 4 so playing and knowing that we might not ever get the ending makes savouring what we do have more important

Honestly I'm blown away so far. They've managed to make a true shenmue game on whatever shoestring budget came together in the end. More detailed reactions below (only very mild spoilers):

The rough edges:
- Yes facial animations + lipsync can be awkward, but much better than some of the early trailers
- Yes not all NPCs can be talked to unlike prev games (mostly in chobu though, im pretty sure everyone was voiced in bailu)
- Yes the fighting system might not satisfy the diehards amongst you, though personally it handles much better and is more fun than i was expecting. Im more of a story + atmosphere player so I really like the option of mapping a specific move to the right trigger
- Yes cutscene transitions and camera angles can be a tad awkward at times, but generally they're really well produced and feel on par with the original two games
- This is a really personal thing, but the game has some in-game references to the shenmue franchise that break the fourth wall a bit too much for my taste. Small details like the "Shenmue 3" logo is on Ryo's watch, you can buy clothes that say "Shenmue", Ryo's shoes say "S3" on them. Immersion is a big part of why I love the original two games, so Im not a huge fan of being reminded that I'm playing a game. None of this is a huge deal and i'm sure most players won't care.
- There is some reuse of music in the game, so not every single building/shop/location gets a totally bespoke tune like the previous two games. It's an acceptable compromise given the budget constraints and the overall soundtrack/atmosphere is still up to the high standards of the franchise
- This is a massive nitpick, but you can't close your notebook until it finishes it's opening animation. In shenmue 1 and 2, you could open your notebook and immediately close it with the B button if you just wanted to glance at something quickly. The whole interaction feels slower now that I have to wait for the book to let me close it and I find myself using it less as a result
- Exploring cabinets/drawers feels like it could be faster. You basically have to tap X once to focus on something, and then again to actually interact with it. IMO they could've made this work where you immediately interact with an item on first tap and it would feel much less cumbersome to explore if they had
- I dont think the supporting cast of characters has been anywhere near as fleshed out or memorable as shenmue 2 so far. The heart of the game is Ryo and Shenhua, so to some degree it makes sense. i'm also probably just over halfway done with the game so im still hoping this could change

The good stuff:
- So far the game has been incredibly stable without any gamebreaking bugs or crashes. I can't say enough what a relief this is given how buggy even major triple A titles can be these days. One less angle for press to crap on the game (though it does have it's performance slowdowns occasionally in terms of framerate drops on a standard ps4).
- The japanese dub is really great, i can't critique as a native speaker, but im digging the performances and the script is generally well written so far
- The scale has really exceeded my expectations. Bailu village has a nice variety of areas and chobu is feeling more and more like a respectable follow up to hong kong/kowloon. Easily bigger than dobuita
- The entire economy of gambling + arcades + tokesn + prizes + pawn shops + stores + jobs really works. There's such a variety of ways to make money that you can be pretty creative in how you decide to spend your time.
- Speaking of economy, there are a TON of items to buy in this game. You can sell them at pawn shops, but it's also fun to just collect stuff if you're into it
- I really love picking herbs AND you can make a lot of money off of selling sets. I didn't expect to enjoy this aspect of the game as much as I am, it's a beautiful motivator to explore nooks/crannies and more often than not, you're rewarded with some cool plant to pick
- The story doesn't feel rushed and is taking it's time to build from simple investigations to the bigger stakes at hand. feels really similar to how shenmue 1 built the story gradually from searching for a black car. It does make me worry about how much progress will be made by the end of the game given that shenmue 4 isn't a given, but im trying to just enjoy the ride
- Time/location jumping is available yet completely optional. I know some purists probably don't like this option existing at all, but i think they way it's integrated into the game is pretty nice. Available if you want it, easily ignored if not
- Almost every night you have a chance to talk to Shenhua with optional dialogue. I definitely encourage you to do so if you're a story player, because it really fleshes out both her character and their growing (platonic) relationship together
Platonic!? Say it ain’t so.

i haven't finished it yet but i must say i'm really enjoying it so far, though i understand why some people will dislike it. it is well worth grinding through the training to improve endurance especially but i also found once id upgraded my attacks i had more fun with the combat. there are some quirks that i could have done without that i feel have been put in there for nostalgic reasons, but so far so good for me.
i don't know what happens at the end (I've heard its disappointing) but I've been enjoying the journey, we might not ever get a shenmue 4 so playing and knowing that we might not ever get the ending makes savouring what we do have more important
That's the point. I had awesome fun just playing the game itself. People keep comparing it to 1&2. Not just that, to their memories of 1&2. Sure it can't measure up. I loved the story I've seen so far. It's meant to be the middle of the game series. I hope the 4th comes out.

Back