Tell me your feeling who played game,are you satisfied with shenmue 3

Hello, i'm disapointed about the true learning of the story itself !?!
i've seen an artwork i thought was issued from chapter 2 the boat, and what about Ming-Ming developpements, etc...?
Some time seems a streets of rage like, no throws to give it some fun...
To finally access at Mr Yu Suzuki's humorous, in turning the area of Baïsha to the a fortified castle and into a short joke with bosses lacking of interest (in the way they are treated)...despondency...it's really disturbing !?!
Here's some info about dlc : https://growngaming.com/news/shenmue-3-dlc-trophies/

Last edited:
Surely anyone who's finished the game at this point has probably rushed it a bit? I got it on the 18th, have done at least a couple of hours per day and I'm still in Bailu.
Really enjoying it so far - it has advanced many of the systems of the first two games and has finally given me a compelling reason to mess around with the gambling, capsule toys, training etc. Loved the expanded training sessions with Sun. Beautiful environments that truly feel alive and lived-in and full of charm/personality. It still has a sense of place unlike any other game I can think of (maybe Deadly Premonition is on a similar level). Don't like the uneven frame rate on PS4 (I'll play it on PC next time). Still haven't got my head around the blocking/dodge system in combat. Japanese voicework is very good. I do find it a bit odd that Ryo is struggling with thugs/local martial artists when he whooped Dou Niu and Master Baihu in the 2nd game.

Enjoying the (extremely slow and simple but compelling) plot thus far. I wasn't expecting for a minute to get a juggernaut like Shenmue 2 with this kind of budget.

Last edited:
Surely anyone who's finished the game at this point has probably rushed it a bit? I got it on the 18th, have done at least a couple of hours per day and I'm still in Bailu.
Not uncommon for people to take days off work for big releases, or they work from home and have no children, such as myself.

Really enjoying it so far - it has advanced many of the systems of the first two games and has finally given me a compelling reason to mess around with the gambling, capsule toys, training etc. Loved the expanded training sessions with Sun. Beautiful environments that truly feel alive and lived-in and full of charm/personality. It still has a sense of place unlike any other game I can think of (maybe Deadly Premonition is on a similar level). Don't like the uneven frame rate on PS4 (I'll play it on PC next time). Still haven't got my head around the blocking/dodge system in combat. Japanese voicework is very good. I do find it a bit odd that Ryo is struggling with thugs/local martial artists when he whooped Dou Niu and Master Baihu in the 2nd game.

Enjoying the (extremely slow and simple but compelling) plot thus far. I wasn't expecting for a minute to get a juggernaut like Shenmue 2 with this kind of budget.
It's exactly like in the first one in the harbor with the bum. He just laughs at Ryo's moves. Then just remember Jianmin, and Xyuing in the second. Either were unbeatable to Ryo no matter what he tried. You should have been used to it. As far as blocking. This is not apparent, you need to go into R1, skill books, and see each one. It's sad, this is where the throws should have gone. It's begging for them there. Even so, look at these and try them. Don't look for artificial dodge. This system is fully 3D unlike any fighters I've ever tried. Just move him around with your left stick he circles around opponents. I was able to get fully behind if they were committed to a move. The more I tried the new system, the more I want him to make VF5 using it, besides Shenmue 4. Just needs throws.

counter.png

Not uncommon for people to take days off work for big releases, or they work from home and have no children, such as myself.
Yep, I booked a week off work for it. Probably put in about 40+ hours on this game which is more than enough to give an honest review.

Yep, 7/10 for me as well. Love the game itself, hate the complete lack of story progression and structure of what story there is.

I don't get it. You'd think after 18 years Suzuki would hurry it up a bit. Just a bit. No, i don't want to kill Lan Di in 3, but i do want Ryo to progress past getting beat by random thugs. There's no progression. Ryo has beat some badass dudes by now, and he should be eating thugs for breakfast. The mooks of the game should have been suited Chi You Men guys, not these losers...

Also, unless i missed it in an optional convo, Ryo and Shenhua never discuss the fucking MAGIC FLYING SWORD they have.
The sword is not magic. I know this is hard to imagine, they actually believe there's this chi energy in people. If you train at it, concentrate it, and all. They believe it can move objects without you touching them. I did Shorin Ryu for 10 years or so. We just did the moves, learned to breathe right while doing them. No mystical BS. But first of all it's a game, and then yes it uses a lot from Chinese legends around martial arts. Most of the crazier movies were with wires behind the actors pulling them up. Or the reverse camera that's so freaking clear, but they loved it all back then.

The sword is not magic. I know this is hard to imagine, they actually believe there's this chi energy in people. If you train at it, concentrate it, and all. They believe it can move objects without you touching them. I did Shorin Ryu for 10 years or so. We just did the moves, learned to breathe right while doing them. No mystical BS. But first of all it's a game, and then yes it uses a lot from Chinese legends around martial arts. Most of the crazier movies were with wires behind the actors pulling them up. Or the reverse camera that's so freaking clear, but they loved it all back then.

Mate, the fucking thing floated in mid air and shot light beams around. Call it whatever you want, magic, Ki, Chi, whatever. It's clearly a supernatural phenomenon.

There's a world of difference between believing in something fantastical, and actually seeing said fantastical thing. If Bruce Lee saw his nunchucks floating above a table, he'd have some questions.

And i'm pretty sure chi/ki control doesn't extend to floating things in mid air like Jean Grey. I've seen martial artists claim to hit things without touching them (i saw one guy ring a bell from across the room once) but never seen any claim to telekinesis.

I'm 100% satisfied with the game but will admit it could have been better.
I really hope Yu can make Shenmue IV and then end the series with V though.

If Shenmue 3 was 40% done then hopefully he can put lots of story in 4 and then the rest in 5. But doing that will probably mean cutting some story out maybe who knows.

Well to actually answer the question that started this thread: There are valid criticisms but after all is said and done I've thoroughly enjoyed the game and have already started a hardest difficulty playthrough. I did much of the content my first time through but not in a completionist sense, so I'll do that this time. I want that super pricey Chinese martial artist outfit in Niaowu's prize store.

I'm 100% satisfied with the game but will admit it could have been better.
I really hope Yu can make Shenmue IV and then end the series with V though.

If Shenmue 3 was 40% done then hopefully he can put lots of story in 4 and then the rest in 5. But doing that will probably mean cutting some story out maybe who knows.
The important part to remember is that they are games. 1&2 were not great as far as a story, as a movie, with no martial arts to distract they'd not measure up to any good ones. It's the fact YOU interacted with this world, you drank the soda, you opened the drawer that left those great impressions. The 3rd to me is insanely fun to play. It's why we waited. It's why I want the 4th out really bad now. My favorite book series destroy Shenmue series completely. Even many tv series are written better bad as some are.

I think he can afford to cut his story he wrote in 1990s. No one would even know the difference IMO. Too much chance he may not get the 4th out again, if he can, he needs to think about how old he is, and many on his team are. How long the 3rd took, unfinished, and unpolished as it is ATM. Especially the English translations. If the game is ripped apart by morons now, the 4th in 5 years will be buried, maybe even by the same reviewers that were happy for him now. He better use the assets he has right now to the full. When I saw some of the comments on Amazon, and Polygon... You realize, those are the very typical gamers that will matter beyond the 70k diehards. He maybe has one more chance to do one more game, if he does it now. This gen, improving what he can, but doing it ASAP.

I hope he's developing bits of it right now on the same engine, it's a gamble, but if say 30% is done, he can maybe show it to Deep Silver, or others to prove it won't take 4 years again. I'm pulling for him, cause I loved the games, and the 3rd game for what it is. I love that he says he won't give up. I hope he can do the right thing with the 4th game. If he has ideas, if he thinks they are grand, let him then make a stand alone game, using other characters, if he gets the funding. That's my 10 cents. I want to know he'll finish his story in his lifetime.

Well to actually answer the question that started this thread: There are valid criticisms but after all is said and done I've thoroughly enjoyed the game and have already started a hardest difficulty playthrough. I did much of the content my first time through but not in a completionist sense, so I'll do that this time. I want that super pricey Chinese martial artist outfit in Niaowu's prize store.
I want to enjoy fishing next time. I did it once this time, then went on, I might do more, but ATM I want other aspects. There are plenty of reasons to replay, yes.

After finishing, I don't like the ending, and the game feels rushed out as far as the English translation goes. Other than that I loved it. There has to be a Shenmue 4, there has to be!

Just finished Shenmue 3 last night, I must say that I understand that some of the issues were caused by limited budget and things related to it, but here are my fresh opinions:

-I really liked environments, a lot of attention to details, I've enjoyed just walking around and looking at stuff.

- I like the sparring system, something that i felt was lacking in previous Shenmue game,the fact that you can spar with multiply opponents also an improvement.

What I didn't like:

- The stamina system, I didn't like it since the demo and didn't like it in the end. Wasting stamina while running, doesn't recover after battles, have to waste money on food and more on snake tonics, While it is an interesting and experimental idea I think it should not have been implemented in the end. At least, I felt like wasting time just buying food and making money to buy more food again and again. and it made it only more annoying.

-Fighting system, never got to like it in the end , and I think previous Shenmue's system were much better.

-Story. Another main issue, is a story progression I felt like it was lacking compared to previous Shenmue games.
Basically, it was more of: Find thugs,beat thugs,move to another location, repeat. Very simple and basic.
Not much time spend on side characters, I didn't find myself attached to characters like i did to in previous games.
Most of the time you just wandering around asking about thugs, but when you finally find one you get your ass kicked and have to find an martial artist to tech you a special move to defeat them, which i thought was silly.
And then when you move to Niaowu it is just a copy of the same scenario like it was in Bailu again, find thugs, get your ass kicked, learn new magical move, beat them up.. Ending was a disappointment. But the most disappointment was the lack of actual progress, I really hoped to finally find more about Ryo's father in Bailu and answers many more questions..
Also why was Chai even there? And what was with that Shenhua's special move thing, where did that came from?

-Environment, while I liked the environments overall I thought that they lacked variety, The areas within a location looked very similar to each other, same buildings, same design. While In Shenmue II you could easily tell one area from another. And the lack of NPC's especially in Niaowu were very noticeable.

-Music, a lot of reused tracks.and most of them felt more of like a placeholder.

-Maybe it's just me, but I didn't used to the new QTE's they were too quick and I ended up failing most of them. While I almost had no problem with them in previous games.

I'm sorry if i'm being negative here, In the end I still enjoyed the game, but not as much as Shenmue I/II. I still glad that we got the game after all the time and while I understand budget constrains I still think it has a lot issues that could have been improved.

Last edited:
Hello, i'm ok with your return, i really prefered Shenmue1 and 2, had fun with all the movements and throws learned during these games, fights among multiple opponents were of a better level in terms of choices. Sorry to say that, but the mini games don't interest me, if there had been virtua fighter 3 or more, ok, but only the presence of vf poster in the game hurts somewhere...SEGA is, obviously, stronger than Yu...Some hoped during the test (and i hope so) that the second part and the end will be richer in twists and will focus on storytelling and characters developpements, wow surprised !?! They have to copy and paste fights to this final bosses with more QTE, at the point where we are, more fan service doesn't kill us, but perhaps it will make us stronger...it would be a reward for all this waiting and long crossing of the desert, don't you think ? Hope YSNET will release a real patch well named by the backers and the fans and for hardcores for the backers and the fans and hardcores, to raise Shenmue 3 to the level of the previous ones, it would be the least of things, to give Shenmue 3, a better chance, and Shenmue 4, a reason to give (to the others) the desire to continue the story, and to calm the haters... and finally, it will be time for Sega, to give a serious hand !

Just finished Shenmue 3 last night, I must say that I understand that some of the issues were caused by limited budget and things related to it, but here are my fresh opinions:

-I really liked environments, a lot of attention to details, I've enjoyed just walking around and looking at stuff.

- I like the sparring system, something that i felt was lacking in previous Shenmue game,the fact that you can spar with multiply opponents also an improvement.

What I didn't like:

- The stamina system, I didn't like it since the demo and didn't like it in the end. Wasting stamina while running, doesn't recover after battles, have to waste money on food and more on snake tonics, While it is an interesting and experimental idea I think it should not have been implemented in the end. At least, I felt like wasting time just buying food and making money to buy more food again and again. and it made it only more annoying.

-Fighting system, never got to like it in the end , and I think previous Shenmue's system were much better.

-Story. Another main issue, is a story progression I felt like it was lacking compared to previous Shenmue games.
Basically, it was more of: Find thugs,beat thugs,move to another location, repeat. Very simple and basic.
Not much time spend on side characters, I didn't find myself attached to characters like i did to in previous games.
Most of the time you just wandering around asking about thugs, but when you finally find one you get your ass kicked and have to find an martial artist to tech you a special move to defeat them, which i thought was silly.
And then when you move to Niaowu it is just a copy of the same scenario like it was in Bailu again, find thugs, get your ass kicked, learn new magical move, beat them up.. Ending was a disappointment. But the most disappointment was the lack of actual progress, I really hoped to finally find more about Ryo's father in Bailu and answers many more questions..
Also why was Chai even there? And what was with that Shenhua's special move thing, where did that came from?

-Environment, while I liked the environments overall I thought that they lacked variety, The areas within a location looked very similar to each other, same buildings, same design. While In Shenmue II you could easily tell one area from another. And the lack of NPC's especially in Niaowu were very noticeable.

-Music, a lot of reused tracks.and most of them felt more of like a placeholder.

-Maybe it's just me, but I didn't used to the new QTE's they were too quick and I ended up failing most of them. While I almost had no problem with them in previous games.

I'm sorry if i'm being negative here, In the end I still enjoyed the game, but not as much as Shenmue I/II. I still glad that we got the game after all the time and while I understand budget constrains I still think it has a lot issues that could have been improved.
I agree on the story, not in Bailu, it made total sense in Bailu. It just shouldn't have been repeated. Fighting system, I'll never agree with that one. This is the one thing they improved till it felt like the best of the HK movies. I personally think you guys idolize Virtua Fighter too much, and never played Tekken. Cause this new system is a lot like a 3D improved Tekken minus the throws I hate that are not in.

They need to fix English translations. That'd be the patch. You personally need to replay forgetting Virtua Fighter existed, actually learning the system, not comparing it. VF is easier. VF doesn't need half the speed used for the same moves. This one takes a lot of practice, not 5 days. This system needs to be in a freaking stand alone fighter he should put out. It'd compete and beat others IMO. I hope the DLCs help the story. I hope the last one will fix what I thought was the biggest BS in the 3rd game. The phoenix mirror. This is a spoiler forum, I'm still trying not to ruin it by chance to others. I thought that bit was crazy, but that was done to make me scream for part 4 to come out. And it succeeded.

Satisfied? Kind of.
It was sure fun to play but my goodness I got almost nothing out of it.

You'd think Yu Suzuki would be excited to actually, you know, PROGRESS the story after such a long hiatus especially since it's so unclear whether we will get future sequels.. but uh.. no. Yu Suzuki didn't seem very excited to actually progress the story as I have witnessed during my playthrough of the game.

Yes thats the fact, I confess, it's thanks to virtua fighter 3tb that i met Project Berkley/VF RPG/Akira's Quest,...
I've played Tekken, DOA, but these are other games not really close and linked to the Shenmue saga, as VF is...
I'm afraid that the dlc do not help the story, unless they decide to please the fans by giving them what they ask, but for that, we need to make our voices heard !

Satisfied? Kind of.
It was sure fun to play but my goodness I got almost nothing out of it.

You'd think Yu Suzuki would be excited to actually, you know, PROGRESS the story after such a long hiatus especially since it's so unclear whether we will get future sequels.. but uh.. no. Yu Suzuki didn't seem very excited to actually progress the story as I have witnessed during my playthrough of the game.
I hope he knows something with Deep Silver we all don't. I hope he also can reuse a lot he has in new locations. The char moves so much better, the environments are great, he can plain port them over. The buildings will still be Chinese, he can just put them in the new area changing tiny things. I hate the ending, but I've more hope the future games will happen. Look, what was Shenmue 1 disc 3 like? A job, racing and a job, some QTE, a bit of free battle. Tiny conversations with master Chen. There was less story in the first than there is here. 70 person battle didn't feel as cool as this was. These moves really work well via multiple, and there are no corners, and walls to ruin fights like in both 1&2. He finally learned that one.

No, he didn't want to progress it if it's 40%. I hate it, you hate it, he's the artist doing this. I want the 4th game more now than a month ago. I think he succeeded.

The world itself is so beautifully dense and realised.
It's just a shame the story is complete and utter filler.

It really feels like a filler episode. Where not much happens but a lot gets recapped. Which is a shame to me because I feel like the first two games were all setup. With III, I was looking for some answers. And I don't feel like I got those answers. I think what I always wanted from III was for it to answer some questions but leave with a whole bunch of new ones going forward.

I felt like we were at that point where we were in the homeplace of the mirrors....we should be getting answers. We did, but it was a pretty obvious answer that the mirrors were made for Royalty. I'm sure that will play more into the story, but it wasn't hard to figure where that was going.

The introduction to Niao Sun is cool and all, but again, we're now left waiting for IV to find out more (if we find out more)

I don't hate the game. I think I always knew that it probably couldn't live up to expectations....not after 18 years. It's very rare that something can live up to the expectations you've built in your own mind. So I always had in the back of my mind that given the lapsed time between games and the fact that it's a KIckstarter game. I guess I always knew it couldn't fully live up to my expectations.

But I'm still a bit bummed that it's really nothing more than a throw away filler episode. I could completely forget about the story of III and waltz into IV and still pick it up with ease.

Now the act of playing Shenmue III? That's been a different story. I've had a great time playing the game. The world is so dense and fully realised that the simple act of taking a knee is better than ever in this game.

But I wish the story was more than just filler. After 18 years? I wanted more than bread crumbs.

Last edited:
I have my issues towards it, but yes I'm really satisfied with the game in general, never in my wildest dreams did I think this mess of a Kickstarter will birth a full fledged Shenmue game that feels exactly as it's predecessors did.

What Yu Suzuki has done is nothing short of a miracle.

It's not Shenmue 1/2 caliber , but the base is there to build something better.

I'll say that Bailu part of the game was 10/10 for me, have the game not faltered in the middle of Niaowu it would've easily been Shenmue 1/2 caliber .

Back