Version 1.02 for PS4 is Live - Release Notes

Since everyone is concentrating on Shenmue 2...how about the cutscenes for Shenmue 1, the arcade games for Shenmue 1 (music for Hang On, QTE Title button presses etc) and the music for Shenmue 1? Any better?

I can happily report that most of the tracks in Shenmue 2 are improved. Queen's Street sounds better though after repeated listens it still sounds off pitch compared to the original but its still a big improvement!

The tomato convenience store still sounds wrong. The Xbox version added a prominent keyboard sound that was not in the Dreamcast version and this is what is causing the problem; it is off pitch compared to the Xbox. I'm still grateful most tracks sound better and they did not just do a runner so kudos to them. Hopefully down the line they might patch the music to the point they match the quality of the originals but at least there acceptable now.

Last edited:
Is my memory bad or the fight music in Shenmue 2 is pretty fucked up? Aside from the wrong tones, I remember it to be much louder on Dreamcast.

Since everyone is concentrating on Shenmue 2...how about the cutscenes for Shenmue 1, the arcade games for Shenmue 1 (music for Hang On, QTE Title button presses etc) and the music for Shenmue 1? Any better?

A few things I noted for Shenmue 1:
They fixed QTE Title 2 got the prize. My score was around 200,000 only issue was the odd sfx skip, but I don't know if someone gets a higher score/futher-in if it could break. Being able to get the prize is good enough for me.
They have semi fixed the jukebox duplicate record graphics. In You Arcade it's fixed, but the duplicate record problem is still in the harbor lounge/bar linda/heartbeats jukeboxes, haven't checked alpha trading offices.
They seemed to have done something with brightness levels since I noticed the brightness straight away on load and had to lower my in-game contrast. Though i'm not sure if they have just raised the standard brightness level or actually fixed the problem.

The capsule toy machines in the harbor lounge still turn if you look at them or just hang out with them on camera.
The Hang-on tape/juke box audio still bad. Xmas music still iffy. I don't think this patch fixed any of the audio issues in shenmue 1.
Still random audio sfx skips.
Training moves still buggy, moves level up before they are leveled up enough, and getting into training in the parking lot is still tricky, sometimes it will flat-out will not let you.

I'd like to know if anyone has checked if the saving at the end is still iffy. Also if space harrier prizes are fixed and if it breaks the game if you play it past curfew.

The music when talking with Master Chen is still completely broken. No change whatsoever in the new patch.

QTE title is screwed up, a little past the 250k mark you get a pad with square and another one that comes up blank, if you just press square you will fail because I'm pretty sure you need to press a couple of buttons. There's no way to get the toy until it's fixed because you can't beat the 300k score while it's broken. Apparently this was still going on pre-patch but I never got far enough on the scoreboard to experience the bug.

It is not fixed in current PS4 version (1.02), I can confirm that.
How unfortunate :(

Tested the 1.02 version of Shenmue II on PS4 last night and I've noticed:

1) Contrast has been adjusted and the game has no crushed blacks. Visuals are much better and the colours seem way more natural.
2) Darts are fixed.
3) Soundtrack still has some high pitched notes and are not playing nicely. Da Yuan Apartments song is the lousiest one.
4) In many cutscenes, the "camera" icon was shown on the top right corner, don't know if it was added on purpose or a bug.

I'm hearing mixed reports on the music. Is it better than previously in Shenmue 2?

it is better. some tracks are fixed, some tracks are improved but not 100% perfect and there are still elements out of tune.
it has still this slightly Silent Hill feeling sometimes.
i'm playing with japanese voices and you can hear that they are working with two different bitrate versions
because sometimes ryo's voice sounds really muffled like the english voices
and sometimes it sounds way better. (i dont know if it was like this in the original DC version)

Last edited:
it is better. some tracks are fixed, some tracks are improved but not 100% perfect and there are still elements out of tune.
it has still this slightly Silent Hill feeling sometimes.
i'm playing with japanese voices and you can hear that they are working with two different bitrate versions
because sometimes ryo's voice sounds really muffled like the english voices
and sometimes it sounds way better. (i dont know if it was like this in the original DC version)
I'm going to have a look this week as anything is an improvement on before. Especially stand qr.

I noticed that too but without playing the dreamcast version I'd struggle to see if it was an issue in the original or not

We are in it for the long haul guys, the consoles are a month behind PC, just let that sink in for a second. These fixes are a step in the right direction but there is just so much to sift through its ridiculous. Also the short description list for all the patches that have come out on all platforms leaves way too much to the imagination and forces us to re-check issues on our own. They released these games plagued with bugs and we created a bug list for them, is it too much to ask to make a comprehensive list of what was fixed? The communication is just horrid... there is way too much going on, I still havent even broken the seal on my PS4 copy and I am honestly trying to focus on other games in the mean time but keeping up with the updates, its overwhelming.

How unfortunate :(

Tested the 1.02 version of Shenmue II on PS4 last night and I've noticed:

4) In many cutscenes, the "camera" icon was shown on the top right corner, don't know if it was added on purpose or a bug.
It was in the top right corner during the cutscenes on the original Xbox version, so this is the way it should be. It would be better without it though as it is still as distracting now as it was back then.

It was in the top right corner during the cutscenes on the original Xbox version, so this is the way it should be. It would be better without it though as it is still as distracting now as it was back then.
Thanks for sharing this, Brian!
It did not bother me at all, but it was very noticeable due to its color (cyan).

We are in it for the long haul guys, the consoles are a month behind PC, just let that sink in for a second. These fixes are a step in the right direction but there is just so much to sift through its ridiculous. Also the short description list for all the patches that have come out on all platforms leaves way too much to the imagination and forces us to re-check issues on our own. They released these games plagued with bugs and we created a bug list for them, is it too much to ask to make a comprehensive list of what was fixed? The communication is just horrid... there is way too much going on, I still havent even broken the seal on my PS4 copy and I am honestly trying to focus on other games in the mean time but keeping up with the updates, its overwhelming.

...Wait; you've never played them, yet?

I already started playing them and I'm pretty deep into 2 already, so I'm just gonna get my platinums and play Yakuza 2 while I wait for patches. Hopefully by winter when I do my yearly playthrough they will be all patched up. If not I'll just stick to the Dreamcast versions...

Yeah I am in the depths of Yakuza 0 right now while im waiting to figure out when i'll play Shenmue HD, and just to be on the safe side I am going to set a likely to change date of in December some time, plus thats a good time to play Shenmue I anyway. Hopefully I get through some other games in the mean time as well.

A thought occured about the upcoming JP release and a bug. Someone mentioned about playing these western releases on a Japanese PS4 and the QTE's showing the wrong buttons or/and flashing both since Japan use X/O differently to in the west. I just hope the reverse isn't true for any of those still ordering the Japan version and will be playing it on a western PS4.

Back