Version 1.03 for PS4 is Live - Release Notes

I was just about to reply, does map glitching work in the ports lmfao. I've never done it but i've seen it in speedruns...

I was just about to reply, does map glitching work in the ports lmfao. I've never done it but i've seen it in speedruns...

It works and identically to how it does in the original games. Only difference is you have to mash A a bit faster, it's slightly less lenient.

Could've sworn I've challenged myself to sneak and never trigger a fight in the Wharf. Mind might be fabricating a false memory, though.

Could've sworn I've challenged myself to sneak and never trigger a fight in the Wharf. Mind might be fabricating a false memory, though.
I'm not sure how it's possible, unless shifts change at night or something lol. There are narrow ways that people guard that are impossible to get through IIRC...

There are two areas where it's impossible to not trigger guards; one is at the T junction just before you get to the street fight, which is avoidable by taking the long way around. The other one is right outside the entrance to the scrapyard, which isn't avoidable for obvious reasons.

Well if you're willing to use glitches to get past, the map glitch is your friend (assuming you have a map of somewhere in Aberdeen). While running, quickly open the menu and the map without letting go of the run button - you'll be looking at the map while still moving, and none of the fights will trigger.

Note that it's difficult to actually know where you're going when you're like this, but you'll get the hang of it.

You'll have to make sure you don't fail the CQTE afterwards though - otherwise a fight is required to be able to leave Beverly Hills Wharf.
Thank you DigitalDuck !! (and everyone else for replying). Map glitched to the junkyard with Cool Z and saved. Hopefully that's the end of that and now i can finally get to Kowloon!

Thank you DigitalDuck !! (and everyone else for replying). Map glitched to the junkyard with Cool Z and saved. Hopefully that's the end of that and now i can finally get to Kowloon!

Glad to be of assistance. If you fail the CQTE, don't save over that file, or you really will be stuck.

Glad to be of assistance. If you fail the CQTE, don't save over that file, or you really will be stuck.

On a completely different note, you have some SERIOUS chops with this series; you know every detail, how to fix every issue, etc.

Have you simply played the game 5 million times or something else?

Just mind-blown; I think you're the most knowledgeable person on the Dojo in terms of the games themselves.

On a completely different note, you have some SERIOUS chops with this series; you know every detail, how to fix every issue, etc.

Have you simply played the game 5 million times or something else?

Pretty much. I'm also the kind of person to experiment a lot, and don't mind a boring grind to do it - last year/earlier this year I streamed an experiment where we decided to find out if 1988 is a leap year in Shenmue by using glitches to break out of the Yellow Head Bldg. and then simply waiting...

... for a total of nearly 500 real-time hours, which we passed by playing Lucky Hit, taking a look in every room in Kowloon (except for the Yellow Head Bldg. of course), watching the fighter in Thousand White Qr. drift slowly across the world over the course of a few hours, and asking every single child if they knew what gambling was.

(Spoiler alert: 1988 is, in fact, a leap year in Shenmue.)

Just mind-blown; I think you're the most knowledgeable person on the Dojo in terms of the games themselves.

I dunno, BlueMue gives me a run for my money. :D He's especially better than me when it comes to things found outside the game, like in the guidebooks etc.

And I'm wrong sometimes...

Awesome stuff, thanks for responding.

I've looked into a ton of rooms myself, but not EVERY room lol. That's awesome. And interesting too!

Bluemue has taken the code apart and stuff, so he knows the guts and all that jazz, understandably.

Do you mind if I ask how do you do the map glitch? I have the exact same issue (crashing as soon as I run into Heavens members in the wharf) and i have a map of worker’s pier, but can’t get the map glitch to work. Have never done it before so not sure if I’m doing it right. Really frustrating being stuck at this point.

Edit: I’m on 1.03 PS4. I’ve tried running (pressing R2) and opening worker’s pier map by pressing Triangle and X but just can’t seem to get it to work.

Edit #2: Nevermind, I got it to work! Thanks so much @DigitalDuck, your post saved my sanity.

Last edited:
It's the timing that always gets me. You need Ryo to be in mid animation, which is to say, you need either of his legs to be bent at the knee, and the sole of his on screen if that makes sense. That's when running on a flat surface though. It's easier to do it on stairs.

I tried a technique of counting the footsteps, and then hitting Y in between. So if he is running and you hear, 1,2,3,4, I try and time it to the half step.

I tried a technique of counting the footsteps, and then hitting Y in between. So if he is running and you hear, 1,2,3,4, I try and time it to the half step.

That's exactly what I do too.

It's the timing that always gets me. You need Ryo to be in mid animation, which is to say, you need either of his legs to be bent at the knee, and the sole of his on screen if that makes sense. That's when running on a flat surface though. It's easier to do it on stairs.

Nice, will need to give that a go.

I don't know if the Warf crash is affecting 100% users, but that is the kind of issues that needs a hotfix

I don't know if the Warf crash is affecting 100% users, but that is the kind of issues that needs a hotfix

All I know is I tried restarting from a previous save I had a few hours before and still experienced the crash. Played through I and this is the first time I encounter a proper game breaking issue. Thank goodness for the map glitch I read on here. I was on the verge of hooking up my DC and starting from scratch. The one thing that the DC cannot compete with (naturally), are the super fast load times. Do not miss those at all.

Been hearing lots of people from reddit/Era reporting that BHW crash. I experienced it myself. Hope is addressed.

I will update the thread tonight, I also DM D3t on Twitter about it. If somebody has sent it to Sega please let me know, otherwose I will do kt tonight
Cheers.

Great work managing all of this.

Back