What are you playing?

Lately, I've been into simple, cheesy arcade games (esp. Dreamcast games which mark the clunky transition into 3D).
This weekend, I played Ready 2 Rumble Boxing with a buddy; maybe the horrible beer clouded our judgment, but that game provided far more entertainment than one would think.
We'll probably go for Power Stone 2 sometime soon, a severely underrated title.

Just curious; why lol and what has you blown away?
People have given way more articulate and in depth answers already but I just wanted to say for me it's simply "execution."

I don't know how to quantify it exactly but it's a combination of the art style, the attention to detail, reverence to the spirit of the original, challenging enemies (event the zombies can't be taken lightly!) - I even like the new voice actors!

But the story is still RE2; have people forgotten how the game's plot unfolds?
I know the plot, with all its twists and turns really well but the experience of actually playing through the game is nerve-rackingly worthwhile.

The game looks GORGEOUS (I'm playing on a PS4 Pro). It's been a while since I've really been blown away by how a game looks, especially one that takes place in a modern, urban setting (Red Dead 2 is equally as beautiful, but the art style and atmosphere are different, obviously). Aside from a few stiff animations here and there, the game looks amazing in motion too. The RE Engine really is something of beauty.
Gorgeous is exactly how I would describe it. I'm playing PC with reasonably high settings but I've watched my friend play on regular PS4 and it looks great on that too. I'm really impressed with this Reach for the moon engine, would love to see some more classic RE games remade with it...

xPcshPq.jpg

I was initially worried that the control scheme and overall re-done gameplay mechanics would negatively impact the Resident Evil 2 experience that I loved. It looks like RE4, 5, and 6, but thankfully and MIRACULOUSLY not only retains that true old-school RE feel, but enhances it incredibly. I beat my first playthrough with Leon last night, and the atmosphere and tension were extremely stressful for me, and I was playing this shit on Assisted Mode (easy) because I'm a straight bitch. Loved every second of it.
I am a big fan of fixed camera angles but not a militant one, even from the initial announcement I understood the game was and should be OTS even if it may be less scary to me. Since then there have been a dozen times when I'm creeping down a corridor trying to clear the corners and thought to myself "this is fucking terrifying!" and I don't feel like the OTS viewpoint detracts from atmosphere at all, if anything I felt more uncomfortably claustrophobic in all but a handful of wide open spaces.

I am a big fan of fixed camera angles but not a militant one, even from the initial announcement I understood the game was and should be OTS even if it may be less scary to me. Since then there have been a dozen times when I'm creeping down a corridor trying to clear the corners and thought to myself "this is fucking terrifying!" and I don't feel like the OTS viewpoint detracts from atmosphere at all, if anything I felt more uncomfortably claustrophobic in all but a handful of wide open spaces.

lol'd hard at that line :LOL:

I'd imagine OTS would be much more scary as well, especially if you run into Mr. X around a corner...

This game is...amazing, RE2 getting a remake with such production quality as this is a dream come true, really.

There's also now free side story DLC on its way too, one where you play as Kendo, one where you play as another USS Soldier and another one where you play as the Mayor's Daughter! Called Ghost Survivors. And free retro costume DLC too.

Unless you shoot them in the head ;)

Actually, in this game, that just slows them down a bit but doesn't take them down (can take lots of headshots before going down), this game has adaptive difficulty so if you are doing well and killing enemies at the rate of knots, zombies take a long time to go down and they definitely can overwhelm you and move quicker than in the original and also similar to REmake, can come in through doors and windows, you have to board up the windows to stop them pouring in otherwise you'll have a situation potentially whereby you have two lickers on one side of the narrow corridor, 4 zombies on another side of the corridor and Mr. X chasing you down with no way out. This game gets pretty claustrophobic, to say the least.

See, not to devolve into a discussion about, "what makes a RE game, an RE game," but 4, 5, 6 and 7 are ALL RE games, in spirit and otherwise.

They just aren't true, "Survival Horror," like the first 5 games in the series (well, 7 brings us back to that...), as they took on a more action concept.

But this doesn't make them any less of a RE game, nor does it not make them worthy additions to the series; 4, 5, 7 are GREAT games, 6 is... meh lol; there was just a shift in mechanics and genre, but they were still RE games and at heart.

I guess I'm seeing that everyone is happy that the game has gone back to its roots and that the root gameplay is done well.

That's all, I'm good!

Well to me Resident Evil IS survival horror, not action. I do agree that 4, 5 and even 6 aren't bad games, I enjoyed them too, I just feel like they shouldn't be part of the main Resident Evil series. Capcom should have made them into a seperate spin off series imho.

I do not like Re 4, 5 and 6 because the transition between old and new was absolutely flawed. The code Veronica ending implied that there will be a big Showdown with Umbrella and then we learn in the Re 4 opening Credits that Umbrella just went bankrupted. that was a silly plot twist. Would be as dumb as you watch Star Wars Return of the Jedi and we learn in the opening credits that the Emperor died of old age and Darth Vader was run over by a space taxi. Capcom should have delivered a satisfying end to Umbrella ark and then move on. But that's the curse of all long time running series. in order to keep the series running they story gets weirder and weirder until it has nothing to do with the source material.

After a real Ending to the Umbrella ark story lines like RE 4 would not be a bad idea.

I am also a big fan of the fixed camera angles and I was disappointed at first when they announced that the remake would be OTS, but I must say I really didn't miss them while playing the game. The OST works very well.

Well to me Resident Evil IS survival horror, not action. I do agree that 4, 5 and even 6 aren't bad games, I enjoyed them too, I just feel like they shouldn't be part of the main Resident Evil series. Capcom should have made them into a seperate spin off series imho.

RE4 was directed by the original creator of Resident Evil though. It's also one of the best games in the series. I also think that RE5 also more than earned its name. RE6 was a mediocre disappointment that went too far into action territory. But just think, without the backlash against 6 from the fans we wouldn't have had the likes of RE7 and RE2 Remake. It all swings in roundabouts.

RE4 was directed by the original creator of Resident Evil though. It's also one of the best games in the series.

Yeah I know, but for me RE4 is already too different and action focused. It doesn't fit in well with the older games. The story also has little to do with what happened before. Again, not saying it is a bad game, just doesn't fit in with the old games, at least in my opinion.

Re 4 is a good action game but a bad Resident Evil 4. Might a great Resident Evil-the new adventures of Leon S Kennedy but a bad Re 4. For a game with the 4 in the part i expect a bit more connections to the past. And the only thing that Re 4 had in common with Re 4 where Ada and Leon. But the game would also have worked if the hero had a different name and background. It would change nothing . The game would still work.

As I said the main problem of Re 4 is that the transition between old and new did work at all. As a real sequel Re 4 is a disappointment. But it is not a bad game when you consider it just as a game without the RE Story lore.

Listen, at the time, Resident Evil was needing a change up. REmake and RE0 both undersold, yes, that was partly thanks to the platform it was released on, but without RE4 the series might have actually not survived, especially with the current production values we're seeing now for the series. Just think Devil May Cry was originally going to be RE4 at one point! RE4 brought me back into the series since I never played REmake and RE0 thanks to the platform they released on (got them later thanks to RE4 rejuvenating the series for me).

I'd still say RE4 and RE5 deserve their number, RE6, not so much. I'll happily forget RE6 ever existed quite honestly.

A change in gameplay was necessary yes. The old concept was a bit outdated in 2002/2003 already that is right. And it also right that gameplay changes were necessary to keep the series alive. I agree with that. But there is no excuse for the generic storyline of Re 4. Super hero saves damsel in distress from random cult in Europe. They could have made a more RE like Setting with the gameplay mechanics of 4. The Remake of part 2 proved that would work perfect. It even convinced some people like me who were never a big fan of the post Re 0 Re games.

But thats just me.

Last edited:
Actually, in this game, that just slows them down a bit but doesn't take them down (can take lots of headshots before going down), this game has adaptive difficulty so if you are doing well and killing enemies at the rate of knots, zombies take a long time to go down and they definitely can overwhelm you and move quicker than in the original and also similar to REmake, can come in through doors and windows, you have to board up the windows to stop them pouring in otherwise you'll have a situation potentially whereby you have two lickers on one side of the narrow corridor, 4 zombies on another side of the corridor and Mr. X chasing you down with no way out. This game gets pretty claustrophobic, to say the least.

Now THAT'S scary indeed; I only discovered towards the end of 1 (I had played CV on the DC before anything else, then went through them in order), that you could one shot them in the head.

To not do that in 2, in addition to the other stuff you mentioned? *shudders*

Listen, at the time, Resident Evil was needing a change up. REmake and RE0 both undersold, yes, that was partly thanks to the platform it was released on, but without RE4 the series might have actually not survived, especially with the current production values we're seeing now for the series. Just think Devil May Cry was originally going to be RE4 at one point! RE4 brought me back into the series since I never played REmake and RE0 thanks to the platform they released on (got them later thanks to RE4 rejuvenating the series for me).

I'd still say RE4 and RE5 deserve their number, RE6, not so much. I'll happily forget RE6 ever existed quite honestly.

Last I'm saying about it, because this isn't the thread to discuss it, but this bolded here hammers away the whole Peter Moore thing as well; if he (and again, not sure why HE was tasked with it) didn't choose to pull Sega out of the console race at the time he did, we probably wouldn't have had any Yakuza, Platinum Games titles, GOOD Sonic titles, etc.

Sometimes you have to do something that's out of he box and for RE4, it worked. Looks like for this RE2 Remake, it worked as well.

Well I beat Kingdom Hearts 1 and started playing 2. If I really enjoy it I'll get into 3 soon enough, no rush...

Well I beat Kingdom Hearts 1 and started playing 2. If I really enjoy it I'll get into 3 soon enough, no rush...

So I assume you have 1.5+2.5 remix so after part 1 did you play 358/2 days and COM you can probably play it in either order but they both happen right after 1 with 358/2 days occurring during Kingdom Hearts 1.

Mario Tennis Aces for the Nintendo Switch.

So I assume you have 1.5+2.5 remix so after part 1 did you play 358/2 days and COM you can probably play it in either order but they both happen right after 1 with 358/2 days occurring during Kingdom Hearts 1.
Nah I'm skipping them. I started COM and didn't like the card mechanic, shut it off almost instantly. It's funny, a lot of people complain how the story of Kingdom Hearts is so complicated that it needs 8 spin off games to cover it... but I think it's obvious the only reason the story is so complicated was so they had an excuse to make all those spin offs. The convenience of "you lost all your memories and skills" and the need to explain why is prolly what's killing the story IMO...

But anyways, I watched quite a few full story synopsis on youtube so I already know the whole story including 2. It's easier to just shut my brain off and focus on the main 3 characters fighting bad guys, all that other convoluted mess is best ignored. I really just wish Donald and Goofy were more fleshed out, as it seems they don't really get too deep with their story and that's a shame because they're awesome...

Nah I'm skipping them. I started COM and didn't like the card mechanic, shut it off almost instantly. It's funny, a lot of people complain how the story of Kingdom Hearts is so complicated that it needs 8 spin off games to cover it... but I think it's obvious the only reason the story is so complicated was so they had an excuse to make all those spin offs. The convenience of "you lost all your memories and skills" and the need to explain why is prolly what's killing the story IMO...

But anyways, I watched quite a few full story synopsis on youtube so I already know the whole story including 2. It's easier to just shut my brain off and focus on the main 3 characters fighting bad guys, all that other convoluted mess is best ignored. I really just wish Donald and Goofy were more fleshed out, as it seems they don't really get too deep with their story and that's a shame because they're awesome...

Yeah that is the best to do. kh in 20 minutes videos on youtube.

Last week i got Resident Evil 2 (PC, AT-Version / Pegi-Version) and there was no Key on a seperate flyer in the DVD-Case, only the flyer with Key for the game. I wondering me why everywhere says there is a DLC inside. Is this just for non-Pegi-Versions? It's not that bad, the game is awesome and i enjoy every second, but it's strange.

Back